Australian MP backs headscarf ban

I think the religious issue is valid. If a certain religion dictates a particular dress or manner of hairstyle, etc. it should be respected and allowed unless, as Italian Guy pointed out, there was a security reason. Here's another way of looking at it, if your school were to dictate hair length for example, would they then be allowed to ban Sikhs from growing their hair? or Orthodox Jews?

Charge 7 said:
I think the religious issue is valid. If a certain religion dictates a particular dress or manner of hairstyle, etc. it should be respected and allowed unless, as Italian Guy pointed out, there was a security reason. Here's another way of looking at it, if your school were to dictate hair length for example, would they then be allowed to ban Sikhs from growing their hair? or Orthodox Jews?

Likely not, on the other hand they could require them to conform with the rules depending on what thr rules are.

Example: If males must not have hair that falls below their collars the school could require them to wear it in a manner that it does not fall below their collar. This allows religious freedom yet conforms to the rules.

Pardon the pun, but that's splitting hairs. Sikhs virtually always have their hair above their collars as they have it wound up in their turbans, however, Orthodox Jews do not bind their locks and I doubt very much you could make them. Also what happens if the Sikh were in gym class and taking a shower? How would that make all the other guys who had their strictly cut hair styles feel? Sorry, but uniform codes are for the military, the police and similar organizations. I don't see what they have to do with education.

Padre said:
Although in Muslim places like Egypt it is an offence for Christians to repair their churches; and in Saudi Arabia it is an offence to wear a cross in public; and in west Papua New Guinea it is an offence for a Christian to breath, I do not believe Muslim head-scarffes should be banned. Religious freedom for all. :angel:

Well while I will remain a devout agnostic I agree with this.

I tend to believe it is an all or nothing deal and in this day and age I would like to believe we can be tolerant of others beliefs.

Back