Australian Military Photos

AussieNick

Forum Digger
Here are some of the latest pictures of the ADF at work thanks to the Department Of Defence.

HMAS Tobruk beached for landing at Cowley beach.
HMAS Tobruk is a 5,800-tonne amphibious landing ship.
The landings were part of the creation of a beach-head position supported by supported by a Hydrographic survey team from HMAS Melville, Clearance Divers from Australian Clearance Diving Team One, an Amphibious Beach Team, a Blackhawks from 171 Aviation Squadron and vehicles from 10th Field Support Battalion
20060901ran8099889_029_lo.jpg

......................................................................................................

Private (PTE) Dirk Thompson (left) and PTE Ross Taylor, both Charlie Company, 2nd Battlion Royal Austalian Regiment, serving with Battle Group Faithfull on patrol near Licquica, Timor Leste. Australia is providing the largest contingent to the current deployment to East Timor. Malaysia, Portugal and New Zealand have also deployed troops to the region in response to the crisis.
20060906adf8260596_005_lo.jpg

......................................................................................................

A soldier from combat team Alpha props during clearance drills in Iraq. Combat team Alpha has recently "moved house" after handing Al Muthanah province back to the Iraqi security forces. They are currently co-lacated with other Australian elements with the British forces at Camp Terendak, Tallil Air Base, Iraq
20060717adf8243116_019_lo.jpg

Lieutenant General Peter Leahy, AO, Chief of Army and The Honourable Dr Brendan Nelson, MP, Minister for Defence at the official launch of the M1A1 Abrams tanks in Melbourne. The Abrams is replacing the Leopard, and we've just accepted our first shipment from the USA. They are currently being delivered to the School Of Armour at Pukapunyal in Victoria, and subsequent deliveries will be going to sabre squadrons.
20060922adf8099240_011_lo.jpg

In a cloud of dust, an Australian Bushmaster provides protection for the Reconstruction Task Force troops in Southern Afghanistan as part of Operation Slipper - the current war against terror in Afghanistan. The vehicle is from 6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment.
Along with 5/7th Battalion, 2nd Cavalry regiment and other units they have replaced the SFTG (Special Forces Task Group) - made up of the SAS, 4th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment, 1 Commando Regiment and other units, who are headed home for a well earned rest, refit, retrain then back into action.
20060911adf8185016_0121_lo.jpg

An Australian ASLAV-25 from the 2nd Cavalry Regiment patrols in Southern Afghanistan. 2nd Cav has only recently finished a tour in Iraq, and has been redeployed to Afghanistan to help replace the SFTG with more "conventional" forces.
20060907adf8185016_0073_lo.jpg

Private Aaron O'Neill from the Townsville-based 2nd Battalion of The Royal Australian Regiment, maintains security around a television station in As Samawah.
20060808adf8243116_027_lo.jpg

Chaplain Major Craig Willmott holds a religious service in the desert south of As Samawah for Australian soldiers on patrol. Prior to starting the day's mission, Chaplain Willmott holds a Sunday service followed by communion for those soldiers wishing to partake.
20060806adf8243116_013_lo.jpg

Corporal Philip Parry, from the Townsville-based 2nd Battalion of The Royal Australian Regiment, seated in a Bushmaster Infantry Mobility Vehicle. Under blue light, soldiers preserve their night vision whilst waiting for the convoy to move out in Iraq[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
20060718adf8243116_004_lo.jpg

.........................................................................................................................

Corporal Lee James from Delta Company, Battle Group Faithful, gives directions to Private Allister Baker from the 2nd/1st Battalion, Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment (2/1 RNZIF). Australian and New Zealand soldiers are part of an exchange program between Battle Group Faithful, and the New Zealand Infantry. They are patrolling in Timor as part of Operation Astute. Good to see the Anzac spirit still in fine form.

20060811adf8237482_013_lo.jpg

.........................................................................................................................

Trooper (TPR) Tristan Martin and Corporal(CPL) Peter Akkerdyk, pipers from the 3rd 4th Cavarly Regiment, play pipes at the Memorial service to mark the 40th Anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Battle Group Faithful members on Operation Astute in Dili, Timor Leste, conducted the memorial service to mark the anniversary of the Vietnam War battle. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 3rd/4th Cavalry Regiment was involved at the Battle of Long Tan, and present-day members from Bravo Squadron, 3rd/4th Calvary Regiment, paid their respects to fallen comrades killed at the battle.[/FONT]
20060818adf8237482_042_lo.jpg

Tenth Security Detachment Infantryman, Private Jeff Cross, keeps sharp lookout while on a security patrol during the recent Mission Rehearsal Exercise (MRE) to prepare for deployment to Iraq. The MRE was held at Gallipoli Barracks, Enoggera in Queensland.

20060811adf8244969_036_lo.jpg

Diggers from the Sydney-based Parachute Battalion 3rd Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment, respond to a 'contact' during pre-deployment urban combat training at Gallipoli Barracks in Brisbane, in preparation for their upcoming rotation to Iraq[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
20060802adf179443_010_lo.jpg

Thanks for the sharing, Aussie. It's great pics but the Aussie's camo are weird. lol

ASLAV takes a hull down position on overwatch as Bushmaster IMVs perform an obs crossing on the move from Camp Smitty to Tallil
20060726adf8243116_110_lo.jpg

Royal Australian Navy Clearance Divers at work
5a058900.jpg

Australian digger detaining and searching a suspected insurgent in East Timor
sas.jpg

Vehicles from 2 Cav shake out for a battle run
Two%20Cav2_lo.jpg

Leopard and troops move through difficult terrain
Five%20Seven5_lo.jpg

I've seen some pictures of Aussie Land Rovers, 6x6, far wider then the standard Land Rover and fitted with a 4.2 turbo diesel (if my memory is correct).

I read some where that senior British Army officers were in Oz, saw the Land Rovers and were so impressed that on return to UK they made enquiries about getting Land Rover UK to build some. Apparently Land Rover UK reckoned it wouldn't be worth their while.

It would have been an ideal vehicle as it would slot between the Bedford 4 tonner and the standard Land Rover.

I've seen some pictures of Aussie Land Rovers, 6x6, far wider then the standard Land Rover and fitted with a 4.2 turbo diesel (if my memory is correct).

I read some where that senior British Army officers were in Oz, saw the Land Rovers and were so impressed that on return to UK they made enquiries about getting Land Rover UK to build some. Apparently Land Rover UK reckoned it wouldn't be worth their while.

It would have been an ideal vehicle as it would slot between the Bedford 4 tonner and the standard Land Rover.

I guess you are talking about the LRPV's used by the special forces. They are a modified 6X6 Rover, and they are used in conjunction with the smaller 4X4 models.

BUT

We've just finished the acquisition process to get all new 4X4 vehicles for the Army, which are the Mercedes G-Wagons, and SOCOMD has new vehicles on the way, which are much bigger and used by the Brits, so it looks like the Rovers are going to be retired.

20090119adf8054893_033_lo.jpg

Trooper Mark Gregor Strang Donaldson, VC

Australia's newest Victoria Cross recipient. Received for gallantry under fire in Afghanistan. Trooper Donaldson VC is a member of the SASR and was serving with the Special Operations Task Group. He drew heavy MG and rocket fire away from his mates by exposing himself to allow them to break contact during an ambush, he then reentered the ambush site under heavy fire to rescue a wounded Afghan interpreter, who he then carried to safety on his shoulder. He performed immediate first aid and then reentered the fire fight.

Well done that man.

20080106adf00000_001_lo.jpg

However, on a sadder note, Private Gregory Sher of the 1st Commando Regiment was killed in action during a rocket attack on a special forces patrol base in Oruzgan Province, Afghanistan. Private Sher is the first reservist to be killed in action since the Army Reserve was founded in the 1970's. Prior to this it was known as the CMF. Private Sher had previously served in East Timor as a reservist rifleman before joining the special forces.

Rest in peace.

I still cant get enough of looking at the photo of TPR DOnaldson VC.
It is just awe inspiring that someone from our generation has won it, and just goes to show the ANZAC spirit is still alive.

Good to see you around again Nick, been a long time....

I guess you are talking about the LRPV's used by the special forces. They are a modified 6X6 Rover, and they are used in conjunction with the smaller 4X4 models.

BUT

We've just finished the acquisition process to get all new 4X4 vehicles for the Army, which are the Mercedes G-Wagons, and SOCOMD has new vehicles on the way, which are much bigger and used by the Brits, so it looks like the Rovers are going to be retired.

Thanks for the info Nick.

Trooper Donaldson is one hell of a brave bloke. Congartulations to him on his VC.

I still cant get enough of looking at the photo of TPR DOnaldson VC.
It is just awe inspiring that someone from our generation has won it, and just goes to show the ANZAC spirit is still alive.

Good to see you around again Nick, been a long time....

Yeah been really busy mate. I was in Europe & The UK, then I went to the school of Infantry up at Singo pretty much as soon as I got back. Things have just started to settle into a routine again.

20070526adf8161479_189_lo.jpg

SOTG members firing at night in Afghanistan

20070528adf8161479_132_lo.jpg

SASR long range vehicle patrol in Afghanistan

20071123adfSOCOMD_001_lo.jpg

Soldiers from the Special Operations Task Group man their vehicle in the dusty conditions while on patrol in the Oruzgan region of Afghanistan.

20080202adfSOCOMD_004_lo.jpg

Soldiers from the Special Operations Task Group fire their personal weapons at the firing range in Camp Holland, Tarin Kowt Afghanistan.

20080317adfSOCOMD_012_lo.jpg

A member of the Special Operations Task Group (SOTG) takes aim in a 'green belt' during an operation in Oruzgan Province, Afghanistan.

20080307adfSOCOMD_001_lo.jpg

A Special Forces sniper on operations with the Special Operations Task Group (SOTG) in Afghanistan.

20080320adfSOCOMD_004_lo.jpg

SOTG Members patrol in Oruzgan, Afghanistan

20080331adfSOCOMD_002_lo.jpg

A member of the Special Operations Task Group (SOTG) in overwatch during an operation in Oruzgan Province, Afghanistan.

One thing I have noticed, neither the Aussie or the British Special Forces use the general issue bullpup rifles, but appears that both use M16's or M4's.

HMM I wonder why?

Easier to customise, lighter weight, and the M4 drains water from the breach far easier than a Steyr for example.

But that being said, Australian infantrymen are using the same SR25 (as a platoon weapon) as our Special Forces in Afghanistan.

Easier to customise, lighter weight, and the M4 drains water from the breach far easier than a Steyr for example.

I would hazard a guess and say that the M16 or M4 is far more reliable the the British issue SA80, although I have no idea what the reliability is like for the Aussie rifle. I have never liked the bullpup, in my opinion for what its worth, I don't like not being able to use a rifle from either shoulder.

Thanks for the pictures, very interesting

The F88 Steyr is neither here nor there, it's just a decent rifle for the job. But the original model that is still in service is a bit outdated. Not enough options for mounting equipment on it, but the F88-S and the new models (allegedly) going into service are pretty good.

I heard they weigh over 5kg though. The picatinny rail added weight on the F-88S, now they want to put 4 extra rails on. They use cheap heavy materiel that doesn't last.

Back