Australian Military Photos - Page 2

--

January 27th, 2009  
AussieNick

Trooper Mark Gregor Strang Donaldson, VC

Australia's newest Victoria Cross recipient. Received for gallantry under fire in Afghanistan. Trooper Donaldson VC is a member of the SASR and was serving with the Special Operations Task Group. He drew heavy MG and rocket fire away from his mates by exposing himself to allow them to break contact during an ambush, he then reentered the ambush site under heavy fire to rescue a wounded Afghan interpreter, who he then carried to safety on his shoulder. He performed immediate first aid and then reentered the fire fight.

Well done that man.

However, on a sadder note, Private Gregory Sher of the 1st Commando Regiment was killed in action during a rocket attack on a special forces patrol base in Oruzgan Province, Afghanistan. Private Sher is the first reservist to be killed in action since the Army Reserve was founded in the 1970's. Prior to this it was known as the CMF. Private Sher had previously served in East Timor as a reservist rifleman before joining the special forces.

Rest in peace.

January 27th, 2009  
SigJohnson

I still cant get enough of looking at the photo of TPR DOnaldson VC.
It is just awe inspiring that someone from our generation has won it, and just goes to show the ANZAC spirit is still alive.

Good to see you around again Nick, been a long time....
January 27th, 2009  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
I guess you are talking about the LRPV's used by the special forces. They are a modified 6X6 Rover, and they are used in conjunction with the smaller 4X4 models.

BUT

We've just finished the acquisition process to get all new 4X4 vehicles for the Army, which are the Mercedes G-Wagons, and SOCOMD has new vehicles on the way, which are much bigger and used by the Brits, so it looks like the Rovers are going to be retired.
Thanks for the info Nick.

Trooper Donaldson is one hell of a brave bloke. Congartulations to him on his VC.
--
January 29th, 2009  
AussieNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigJohnson
I still cant get enough of looking at the photo of TPR DOnaldson VC.
It is just awe inspiring that someone from our generation has won it, and just goes to show the ANZAC spirit is still alive.

Good to see you around again Nick, been a long time....

Yeah been really busy mate. I was in Europe & The UK, then I went to the school of Infantry up at Singo pretty much as soon as I got back. Things have just started to settle into a routine again.
February 3rd, 2009  
AussieNick

SOTG members firing at night in Afghanistan

SASR long range vehicle patrol in Afghanistan

Soldiers from the Special Operations Task Group man their vehicle in the dusty conditions while on patrol in the Oruzgan region of Afghanistan.

Soldiers from the Special Operations Task Group fire their personal weapons at the firing range in Camp Holland, Tarin Kowt Afghanistan.

A member of the Special Operations Task Group (SOTG) takes aim in a 'green belt' during an operation in Oruzgan Province, Afghanistan.

A Special Forces sniper on operations with the Special Operations Task Group (SOTG) in Afghanistan.

SOTG Members patrol in Oruzgan, Afghanistan

A member of the Special Operations Task Group (SOTG) in overwatch during an operation in Oruzgan Province, Afghanistan.
February 3rd, 2009  
BritinBritain

One thing I have noticed, neither the Aussie or the British Special Forces use the general issue bullpup rifles, but appears that both use M16's or M4's.

HMM I wonder why?
February 5th, 2009  
AussieNick

Easier to customise, lighter weight, and the M4 drains water from the breach far easier than a Steyr for example.

But that being said, Australian infantrymen are using the same SR25 (as a platoon weapon) as our Special Forces in Afghanistan.
February 5th, 2009  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
Easier to customise, lighter weight, and the M4 drains water from the breach far easier than a Steyr for example.
I would hazard a guess and say that the M16 or M4 is far more reliable the the British issue SA80, although I have no idea what the reliability is like for the Aussie rifle. I have never liked the bullpup, in my opinion for what its worth, I don't like not being able to use a rifle from either shoulder.

Thanks for the pictures, very interesting
February 6th, 2009  
AussieNick

The F88 Steyr is neither here nor there, it's just a decent rifle for the job. But the original model that is still in service is a bit outdated. Not enough options for mounting equipment on it, but the F88-S and the new models (allegedly) going into service are pretty good.
February 7th, 2009  
Wallabies

I heard they weigh over 5kg though. The picatinny rail added weight on the F-88S, now they want to put 4 extra rails on. They use cheap heavy materiel that doesn't last.