Australian Defence Force Training Pics

AussieNick

Forum Digger
Since there have been a few threads floating around showing pics of the training and drill of various Defence Forces, I figured I'd share some pics from the Australian Defence Force with you.

Australian SAS in Iraq/Afghanistan (note that Aussie SAS troops were located on the outskirts of Baghdad for weeks before the war started)
Australian%20SASR%20in%20Afghanistan_kabul.jpg

r5554_12942.jpg

SASR_Afgha.jpg

wld_iraq_sas,0.jpg

sas.jpg

Operation_Slipper_Aussie_k.jpg

4 RAR Commandos
4-7commandos.jpg

swo_ad4.jpg

Soldiers on board HMAS Kanimbla practicing actions on stopping illegal vessals (soldiers using an F89 Minimi 5.56mm LMG) Illegal fishing and people smuggling is a big problem in our northern waters, and in our sothern waters we've had incursions from unauthorised ships, including a north korean one, which was concerning.
030905australia-h.jpg

BAE Systems Parakeet Surveillance Land Rover Defender
new_pa1202.gif

A graduate officer From Royal Military College Duntroon
rmc2.jpg

HMAS Anzac firing 5 inch gun on enemy position (in support of Royal Marines) in Iraq
hmas,0.jpg

Australian Infantry in Iraq (soldier is carrying F88 Steyr 5.56mm with 40mm grenade launcher)
adg_bagdad1zz.jpg

Officers graduation from the Royal Military College Duntroon. This is a winter graduation. In summer the dress uniform is white.
banner1.jpg

An ASLAV from 2cav on exercise at Mt. Bundy. Armed with 25mm cannon.
aslav-6.jpg

An ASLAV-A, this is the ambulance designation. It can carry 6 casualties, and is armed with .50 cal (not pictured)... Note ASLAVs are fully amphibious.
U31P27T1D174019F3DT20031228104213.jpg

1st Armoured Brigade Leopard Tank
armour7.jpg

4 RAR commando TAG group
C0226119lo.jpg

4 RAR in section assault. (note that 4RAR still chooses to sometimes use the M60 or MAG58 rather than the F89 Minimi)
cdo4.jpg

Royal Australian Artillery Corp gunners enjoy "freedom of the city"
gd1.jpg

Some more special forces stuff.
Aussie SAS guard an Iraqi airfield they captured
wairf19.jpeg

Commandos prepare to assault illegal cargo vessal in Australian waters
_1515199_soldiers_300afp.jpg

Commandos come ashore in Sydney harbour during training exercise
15.jpg

SAS fast rope from a Blackhawk in Queensland
pic77.jpg

Infantry in the Solomon Islands
1opanodeaug14_th.jpg

Army sniper and spotter with the AW50F .50 Cal sniper rifle
5amr2_tn.jpg

50cal.jpg

Soldiers from NORFORCE. A recon unit that patrols northern Australia, made up almost entirely from indigenous Australians. They have the task of covertly protecting and surveying the top end of the country.
3norforce.jpg

Norforce LRPV, complete with mounted .50 cal.
bblrpv1_177x200.jpg

Recon scout from 3 Brigade with F89 Minimi
003.jpg

Duntroon Officer Cadets undergo Urban warfare training (photo by Cpl Brian Hartigan, ARMY news)
minimi.jpg

AussieNick, I hope you keep updating this Thread, I simply like to see good military pics.

Actually maybe some other dudes can create or continue their Picture Threads like Army Pics of India, Turkey, S.Korea, USA, etc.

Cool pix Nick.

what are the main guns that the Aussies use?
i know we use Styers, tho not sure which ones, and the Fn Minimi.
what others are there?

Our armoury looks a bit like this. Some of the stuff i'm listing is old, but it's still available.

Browning HP
H&K MP5
F series Submachine gun
Steyr AUG F88
SLR L1A1
Parker Hale Sniper Rifle
AW50F .50 Sniper Rifle
M16A2
M4
M60
M-79
M-204
Carl Gustav 66mm
Carl Gustav 80mm
LAW
Minimi F89
MAG 58 GPMG
M2 Browning

All I can think of that is on the armoury list at the moment.

More pics here, I hope to keep adding to this list.

M198 155mm Howitzer in action.
M198-a.jpg

Norforce patrol in Arnhem land (Northern are of the Northern Territory)
LR_rfsu.jpg

Leopard Tank On Exercise
leopard2.jpg

381st Support Squadron during operation Tandem Thrust at Shoalwater bay.
TT0102501.jpg

Parade in Canberra for the Centenary of the army
C0105302.jpg

Operation Lavarak, on the western border of East Timor. RAR Infantry secure the LZ.
V9920128.jpg

ASLAV From 2 Cav Recon in the arid desert of the Northern Territory
ASLAV_1.JPG

1st Commando Regiment Undergoing Urban Training Exercises
DFT_SF_Ambush.jpg

Soldier in NBC suit standing infront of IMV Bushmaster
bushmaster.jpg

Very nice pictures, does SAS stand for the same thing as the 22 SAS? I don't know much about the Aussie military, good to see and read things about it :)

SAS = Special Air Service

from what i understand the aussie SAS is made pretty much exactly from the same mould of the british one, with only a few differences

EDIT:
the aussies call thier "version" the SASR ;)

I can only imagine that Australia would be heaven for any Military force because of the vast amounts of free land and varried terrain (especially the deserts!) that are available for training.
Does Australia "lease" or allow foreign allied units to come and train in its national training centers?

yup, you betcha!
arnhem land in NT is often used

some of the joint training exercises i can remember off the top of my head (nick will prolly know them all!)

Tandem thrust in2001 involved aussies and americans

wow iv got a worse memory than i thought.
neways i know that they use schoalwater bay and other areas in the top end for the exercises, lots of nice terrain up there

I was thinking it would be superb to train South Korean foreign deployment specific units there.
I hope to use my multi-lingual skills to increase my chances of being picked for such units when I go join in a few months.

i dont know but i imagine that in Nepal where they recruit the Gurkhas from is mean to be hardcore country to live in!

The challenge there would be high altitude. But really when you step into a hot and humid environment, it just sucks the life right out of you. But on the other hand, in terms of conditioning, high altitutde is superb. It probably explains why Gurkhas are excellent runners.

You're talking to a guy who ran cross country and track in Jakarta. How much worse could it get?
How about 45 degrees centigrade with zero humidity. That sucks. We had a bloke from 2cav die of heat exhaustion at the Mt. Bundy range after coming back from a tour of duty in Iraq, so that says something about the temp it can get to here.

I can only imagine that Australia would be heaven for any Military force because of the vast amounts of free land and varried terrain (especially the deserts!) that are available for training.
Does Australia "lease" or allow foreign allied units to come and train in its national training centers?

So much free land for military exercises. When you think about the fact we have cattle stations the size of Belgium, it'd give you an idea of how much free land there is, and there is a huge range of landscape. Kanungra= Jungle, Shoalwater=Coastal, El Alemain= Desert, Mt Bundy= Desert.. hmm, plus alpine snow in the New South Wales high country, sub-arctic conditions in our outer southern islands, can't be bothered thinking of anymore training grounds right now.

We do lots of joint exercises with other nations (new zealand, britain, indonesia, usa, canada, japan, malaysia for example). 2001 Exercise Tandem Thrust in Shoalwater bay we hoasted 25,000 US servicemen in wargames. We've got another one in 2005, I can't wait.

SAS is what they are normally called, SASR just means Special Air Service Regiment. They were based on the British SAS, but have diversified totally, they now can't really be compared to the British SAS at all because they are so diverse. Our SAS are a jack of all trades, they can do everything from clearance diving to HALO jumps to deep enemy country recon to counter terrorism.

Anyway, some more pics.

ASLAV in Baghdad with the new remote weapons station that includes Browning .50 cal, 40mm automatic grenade launcher, Javelin missile system and laser range finder.

10remoteweaponstationnov4.jpg

Firing on the Puckapunyal Range
Images%5Cfiredemo1.jpg

Demonstration of NVG equipment
Images%5Cnvg-5.jpg

Coming ashore during Tandem Thrust in Shoalwater Bay
ADF8084519_20030901_136_th.jpg

Various different configurations of the AUG F88 Steyr including the Cavalry carbine model
barrels.jpg

Army sniper in a "Yowie Suit"
C0226114.jpg

More of the Commando TAG group
C0226117.jpg

Major General Cosgrove comes ashore after the seaborne assault to secure the beach head in East Timor
V9911016.jpg

SASR soldier in Afghanistan, being special forces we let them get away with being a bunch of scruffs.
feature08.jpg

Australian Army Aviation in East Timor (East Timor can be a bit of a sore point for some Aussie soldiers, since we were the ones who went in and did all the fighting, and now a lot of other nations have come and joined the rehab work and try and make it look like they are to thank for saving the country).
cust-mottram-andy56.jpg

Members of the Royal Australian Armoured Corp on parade
15n_ArmyReserves,1.jpg

Bushmaster IMV (infantry mobility vehicle). Fully offroad 4x4 capable truck/armoured vehicle. Fully capable armour, V shaped mine deflecting armoured bottom, MAG-58 GPMG 7.62mm rooftop mounted, fully NBC proof, ventilated and air conditioned- a godsend in the Aussie outback)
bushmaster_lav_2.jpg

the_13th_redneck said:
The challenge there would be high altitude. But really when you step into a hot and humid environment, it just sucks the life right out of you. But on the other hand, in terms of conditioning, high altitutde is superb. It probably explains why Gurkhas are excellent runners.

I was on a cadet training exercise last year at catterick and there was loads of gurkhas there doing a 25km run with bergens...whilst having to navigate the route, and it was all off road :shock:

I heard a rumour that if they draw their knife in combat, they have to draw blood....and if they dont get it from an enemy they have to get it from themselfs :shock:

I heard a rumour that if they draw their knife in combat, they have to draw blood....and if they dont get it from an enemy they have to get it from themselfs

It's true, they have to cut themselves everytime they draw their "Kukri",

but anyway, this is :eek:fftopic:

Back