Australia and New Zealand - Page 6

--
Boots

January 13th, 2007  
tomtom22

Bump.
January 14th, 2007  
Padre

Who signed the death warrant of LT Harry Morant and in which war was his "war crime" allegedly committed?
January 14th, 2007  
tomtom22

Lord Kitchener signed the warrant and it was the Boer war.
--
Boots
January 14th, 2007  
Padre

Well done Tomtom although I required "the second Boer War" for the second part.

Q). Where and when did the only battle take place in Australia - on the Australian mainland - between WWII Australian forces and Japanese resulting in 231 dead Japanese soldiers and four Australians (and 108 wounded Japanese)?
January 21st, 2007  
Padre

Topic: hint hint

February 5th, 2007  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre
While I would hardly call it a battle I am assuming you are talking about the Cowra Prison Breakout that occured on August 5 1944.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...wra-prison.htm
February 5th, 2007  
UBIQUE

Here's one for you, who one the only VC not in the face of the enemy, in what country and where is he now burried?
February 5th, 2007  
Padre

Six VC winners fit that description:Irishman Private Timothy O'Hea, The Rifle Brigade, for courageous conduct at Quebec, Canada on 9th June, 1866, in suppressing a fire in a railway car containing live ammumition. O'Hea eventually died in Australia in 1874 and is buried in Sturt's Desert, Queensland. Also, Assistant-Surgeon C. M. Douglas, M.D., Private T. Murphy, Private J. Cooper, Private D. Bell, and Private W. Griffiths, all of the 24th Regiment of Foot (The South Wales Borderers) for bravery in the Andaman Islands on 7th May, 1867, in saving the lives of their companions in a storm at sea.
February 5th, 2007  
UBIQUE

Opps, Thanks for the correction Pardre.

Timothy O'Hea was the one I was after. He was a member of the Leichhardt expedition.
February 6th, 2007  
Padre

It was a good question though Ubique. I didn't know the answer until I did some reading - and found a few others.