Australia and New Zealand

Aussie Nick - I was not referring to the expression, only the use of the word 'dunny' in it. This is the slang bit I thought was Aussie, as we have never used the word here, traditionally. I was just making the point that I have only heard it used in Aussie references.

That's why i thought the expression we are searching for related to Sydney rather than London. The answer will reveal all!

Oh yeah mate, dunny is used all the time. No idea of the background to it though.

I had great family friends here yesterday, over from Brisbane, but I didn't like to raise the question ; wouldn't been pretty uncool I reckon, even though they didn't seem very captivated by Sydney! Oh, and they were ladies!

Shane Warne is playing here again for Hampshire, but this is the football season, so i won't be seeing him ( he's a big hero here), so I've run out of Aussie sources. I used to have a number of Australian customers, and I used employ some good guys in London, by the day, from the Overseas Club. We had a strong Aussie area in Earls Court then. I bet they would have known!

This might be way off target but didn't Sydney have some fairly major sewage/odour issues around the 1870s and with Hyde Park being close to the harbour it may just be a piece of proximity slang so to speak.

Dunny

The word comes from British dialect dunnekin meaning dung (feces) house.

It was first used in 1933 in Aus as slang.

There are also other spellings such as dunnigin and dunegan meaning privy

Last edited:

I was completely unaware of this. Interesting.

I have heard a number of stories over the years. One that sticks in my mind which was told to me by an uncle, that during the liberation of Allied POW's from Japanese camps by the Aussies, those POW's who were fit enough were issued a rifle and bayonet to guard their former captors. A lot of grievances were repayed in spades.

Whether this is true or not I cannot say, but I'd be interested to hear any opinions on this.

Depends on what you read and who you know.
Stan Arneill, a survivor of Changi, said he never saw anything like that happen. All medicos from the Burma Railway are somewhat reticent about it- Dunlop said he heard of such things but never saw; Rowley Richards said something similar though conceded it might have happened.
In her Book 'Prisoners of War- from Gallipoli to the Korean War' Patsy Adam-Smith makes a great deal of survivor statements that they were simply glad to survive. In his book 'Prisoners Under Nippon' Hank Nelson makes the same sort of argument for the survivors but notes that this was not always the same with their liberators though he cites no specific examples. Richard Paull in his book 'Kokoda- the New Guinea Campaign of 1942', published shortly after the war, is about the only book that makes a specific allegation, to my knowledge, and this is again a liberator's revenge rather than a survivor- the soldiers involved came upon the scene of Australian soldiers used for bayonet practice and 'gave no quarter to the Japs there'. the Oxford Guide to Australian Military History makes mention of the killing of prisoners by Australians a number of times but not in relation to the Pacific War.
the best you can say is that it probably did happen to some extent; but like the situation in Europe the killing of guards was generally done by liberators rather than inmates.

would it be fair to say that this is dead?
then try this; military units were recruited from Australia for the first time for service in which conflict?

more clues- the unit was composed of Australians (Victorians) but raised by the British and its regimental title was taken from the major scene of action.

the first Australian raised military unit for service in a foreign conflict was the New South Wales Contingent. Recruited in Sydney it was despatched to the Soudan (sic) Expedition in 1885.
on its return the contingent was quarantined for four days in case of disease and then forced to parade in the rain before being disbanded.

Military units were recruited by British authorities and came under Imperial control for the Waikato War of 1863 (aka 2nd Maori War) in New Zealand; several companies of the Waikato Militia were recruited in Melbourne.

The first Australian raised Unit was the New South Wales Contingent for the Soudan (sic) Expedition.

Another?

prior to the Federation of the Australian Colonies into the Commonwealth of Australia, Western Australian mounted contingents to the 2nd Anglo-Boer War were called what?

Western Australian Imperial Bushmen

Who is the only 'known' Australian Serviceman to be buried at Arlington National Cemetey in Washington?

What is the mascot of The First Battalion of the Royal Australian Regiment, how many have there been, and what have been their names.

a shetland pony; i think they have all been named Septimus and i think their have been three.

Back