Australia and New Zealand

Bory said:
1911 on recomendation by Lord Kithcener of Khatroum about Australia's Defence Capabilities.
He also recommended the formation of an Officer Academy, thus RMC Duntroon was born in June the same year.

Bingo that is correct

Okay, how many men were called up in the first conscription scheme between 1911-1914, and how long did they have to serve in the Militia for?

In 1911, 155,000 youths were registered, of whom 90,000 were in training, with 20,000 inducted each year until the outbreak of World War I.

In 1943, Australia was facing acute manpower problems from maintaining an Army of twelve divisions - a far larger number in proportion to population than Britain, America or Japan. Battle casualties and a high rate of tropical disease, particularly malaria and dysentery that had reduced the Army by the equivalent of a division. What was the major cause compounding this problem and what action was taken to resolve it.
:2guns:

More Hints

The provisions of the Defence Act, preventing conscripts from serving outside Australian territory, compounded the manpower problem. Many militia units were already designated as AIF since three-quarters of their strengths were volunteers.

Come on you guys, wake up!

Who signed the death warrant of LT Harry Morant and in which war was his "war crime" allegedly committed?

Well done Tomtom although I required "the second Boer War" for the second part.

Q). Where and when did the only battle take place in Australia - on the Australian mainland - between WWII Australian forces and Japanese resulting in 231 dead Japanese soldiers and four Australians (and 108 wounded Japanese)?

Here's one for you, who one the only VC not in the face of the enemy, in what country and where is he now burried?

Six VC winners fit that description:Irishman Private Timothy O'Hea, The Rifle Brigade, for courageous conduct at Quebec, Canada on 9th June, 1866, in suppressing a fire in a railway car containing live ammumition. O'Hea eventually died in Australia in 1874 and is buried in Sturt's Desert, Queensland. Also, Assistant-Surgeon C. M. Douglas, M.D., Private T. Murphy, Private J. Cooper, Private D. Bell, and Private W. Griffiths, all of the 24th Regiment of Foot (The South Wales Borderers) for bravery in the Andaman Islands on 7th May, 1867, in saving the lives of their companions in a storm at sea.

Opps:oops:, Thanks for the correction Pardre.

Timothy O'Hea was the one I was after. He was a member of the Leichhardt expedition.

It was a good question though Ubique. I didn't know the answer until I did some reading - and found a few others. :thumb:

Back