Australia and New Zealand - Page 10

--
Boots

May 26th, 2009  
bren122

more clues- the unit was composed of Australians (Victorians) but raised by the British and its regimental title was taken from the major scene of action.

the first Australian raised military unit for service in a foreign conflict was the New South Wales Contingent. Recruited in Sydney it was despatched to the Soudan (sic) Expedition in 1885.
on its return the contingent was quarantined for four days in case of disease and then forced to parade in the rain before being disbanded.
May 27th, 2009  
MontyB

Well I think you gave us the answer there, The Sudan War

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...ther/sudan.htm
May 28th, 2009  
bren122

Military units were recruited by British authorities and came under Imperial control for the Waikato War of 1863 (aka 2nd Maori War) in New Zealand; several companies of the Waikato Militia were recruited in Melbourne.

The first Australian raised Unit was the New South Wales Contingent for the Soudan (sic) Expedition.

Another?

prior to the Federation of the Australian Colonies into the Commonwealth of Australia, Western Australian mounted contingents to the 2nd Anglo-Boer War were called what?
--
Boots
June 3rd, 2009  
bren122

Western Australian Imperial Bushmen

Who is the only 'known' Australian Serviceman to be buried at Arlington National Cemetey in Washington?
June 5th, 2009  
Wallabies

Frank Milne
June 5th, 2009  
bren122

that is correct
June 5th, 2009  
Wallabies

What is the mascot of The First Battalion of the Royal Australian Regiment, how many have there been, and what have been their names.
June 6th, 2009  
bren122

a shetland pony; i think they have all been named Septimus and i think their have been three.
June 9th, 2009  
48th highlanders

Bren :

Ever seen a belt fed Bren gun ? How about one in .22 caliber ?

Jim b.
June 10th, 2009  
bren122

i wasn't even aware that the Bren came as a belt fed weapon.