Australia Lobbying US On Raptor Jet Sale Would Be Inappropriate: Gates

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Canberra Times
February 26, 2008
Pg. 6
By David McLennan, Defence Reporter
It would be inappropriate for Australia to directly lobby the United States Congress to lift an export ban on its high-tech F-22 Raptor jet fighter, the US Secretary for Defence, Robert Gates, said last night.
Australia is considering whether it needs to buy the Raptor, the world's most advanced military plane, as part of a study of its air combat capability requirements.
However, US law means it cannot be sold and other nations, such as Japan, have been rebuffed in recent attempts.
Defence Minister Joel Fitzgibbon said at the weekend that, on advice from Dr Gates, he planned to write to Congressman Dave Obey to gauge his views on changing the law he instigated a decade ago.
Mr Gates has indicated he was "not optimistic", but was prepared to address the issue with Congress.
"I think it is probably, at the end of the day, not appropriate for Australia to make its case directly to the Congress to change the law. I think that is my job and the job of the Administration," he said on the ABC's 7.30 Report last night.
A spokesman for Mr Fitzgibbon said last night that the minister would write to officials recommended by Dr Gates.
Mr Fitzgibbon told ABC's Newshour that he was encouraged by Dr Gates's comments about the Raptor.
"In any case, I think it's worth pointing out that I don't have any preconceived point of view whether I think the Raptor should be part of our air capabilities," he said.
"I just think that it's appropriate that if we're going to have a proper air capability review, we consider all the options that may be available to us."
The air combat capability review will also consider whether to go ahead with the planned purchase of 24 F/A-18 Super Hornets or pay the $400 million and rising bill for scrapping the $6.6 billion deal.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has refused to confirm reports he plans to attend high-level NATO talks in Romania in April top discuss future strategies in Afghanistan.

Back