Australia to join Darfur peacekeepers

rock45

Australia to join Darfur peacekeepers

March 30, 2008 - 9:09AM
Australia will contribute nine officers to a United Nations mission in the war-torn African nation of Sudan, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says.
Mr Rudd made the commitment during talks with United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in New York on Saturday.
Up to 400,000 people are believed to have died from fighting and famine since the war broke out five years ago.
Mr Rudd said Australia was concerned and frustrated by the Sudanese government's continued obstruction.
"The people of Darfur are suffering, we need to give effect to the resolve already achieved by the United Nations to deploy a force," Mr Rudd told reporters.
"The secretary-general asked the Australian government for some support for that force.
"I've indicated that a modest level - that is a commitment of military officers up to a threshold of nine military officers - will be made available to assist with that force in Darfur."
Mr Rudd defended the small size of the contribution, saying the Sudanese government generally had not welcomed substantial military commitments from western powers.
"I regard that as unfortunate but that is the reality," he said.
"Our commitment along these lines is consistent with that which has been provided by the government of the United Kingdom and the government of Canada - in both cases, about nine military officers to assist with the overall preparation of the wider force."
Australia would also provide a further $5 million in humanitarian assistance to the people of Darfur, he said.
He called for the UN Security Council to take further action against Sudan.
"Darfur is a continuing humanitarian tragedy. The international community has a responsibility to act," Mr Rudd said.
"That action is currently being frustrated still by the government of Sudan and our government is of the view that these matters soon need to be brought back to the UN Security Council so that the government of Sudan can be held properly to account for its continued obstruction."

link
http://news.smh.com.au/australia-to-join-darfur-peacekeepers/20080330-22eq.html#

Like that will actually save anyones life. With 400,00 thousand dead the government of Sudan should be told to piss off and come back when they are fit to govern and let the UN start handling the country.

Typical UN SOP.
Wait until everyone's killed each other and there are no buildings left to blow up.
Deploy.
Claim credit for ending the violence.

That would be a fairly simple conflict, I do not understand why we don't enter it eventually. That small group of South African merc's (EO) ripped their African enemies to shreds. It would be game over with a real army. I would not mind that deployment at all.
Europe/American could fix Africa, I am sure of it.

That would be a fairly simple conflict, I do not understand why we don't enter it eventually. That small group of South African merc's (EO) ripped their African enemies to shreds. It would be game over with a real army. I would not mind that deployment at all.
Europe/American could fix Africa, I am sure of it.

Easy enough to assume away the risk isn't it... but don't forget the lessons of history. How quickly we forget Somalia and Rhodesia.

There are always risks, thats the name of the game. A world backed mission could be completed.

Back