Australia F-111 landing without wheels

HangPC2

Banned
F-111 fleet grounded

July 19, 2006

AN investigation into Australia's F-111s begins today after the 26-strong fleet was grounded following an emergency landing in Brisbane by one of the ageing strike bombers.
The aircraft made a belly landing at the RAAF's Amberley base west of Brisbane about 2.10pm (AEST) yesterday after losing a wheel on takeoff.

After circling the air base near Ipswich for almost three hours to burn off excess fuel, the jet came into land, creating a plume of sparks as it slid on its belly along the tarmac.

The 29-year-old pilot had only graduated from the F-111 training course two weeks ago, but his 32-year-old crew member is considered one of the most experienced F-111 navigators.

Defence Minister Brendan Nelson said the grounding of the F-111 fleet was necessary to ensure there was nothing structurally wrong with the planes.

Air Marshall Geoff Shepherd said it was the first time a wheel had ever fallen off an F-111 in the 30-year flying history of the planes in Australia.

He said there were still no clues as to why the wheel fell off as the jet took off on a routine flight to Tenterfield in northern NSW.

RAAF Amberley's Group Captain Leo Davies believed it may only take weeks for the investigation to be completed.

"Defence's flying safety investigators, Boeing - as the primary contractor for F111 maintenance - and a Melbourne-based team of engineers will head the investigation," he said.

"They will determine what happened and also assess how much work needs to be done and the time frame to get the aircraft back in the air again.

"They should make an assessment over the next few weeks."

Eight F-111s have crashed since they began operating in Australia in the 1970s, killing 10 crew.

f111emerm1264854ga2.jpg

xin0420703191427000281436iq5.jpg

svf111wideweb470x2760uc3.jpg

xin0420703191427140278637ce6.jpg

000181742_03_084_lo.jpg

Thats some damn low flying, I know that they are low altitude bombers... but this is taking it too far.

000181742_05_0101_lo.jpg

Pilot and navigator high five after landing

000181742_10_007_lo.jpg

6 Squadron Pilot, Flying Officer P. Komar
I Squadron Navigator, Flight Lieutenant M. Warner
Standing in front of RF-111C aircraft they successfully landed with the wheels up after losing a main wheel on take off.

Last edited:
When will they get their F-35s?

When they're in production. They still aren't in production yet.
It's still a point of contention as to if they'll ever go into full scale production.

Anyway, I don't expect that the F-111 will be out of service to soon. They may have old airframes, but so do the B-52's. And they really are an outstanding long range low altitude bomber.... it gives us the ability to strike at our near North neighbours with ease.... if the need arose.

I love the picture of him standing by the damaged aircraft, you can almost hear him saying "Look Mum all my own work"

The F111 is sturdy,and I hope the AAF doesnt plan to do that in the future if the get their 35s.The F35 JSF is made of an stealthy material right?So if the lighter plane comes down even light as a feather I betcha itll grind the material away and expose the airframe to the run way,that would be VERY bad.Multi million dollar plane at stake!Worse human lives!

But you guys are right,dam good flyin:salute:

The F111 is sturdy,and I hope the AAF doesnt plan to do that in the future if the get their 35s

RAAF mate. The Royal Australian Air Force

As for the flying time left on these old war birds, they'll be phased out around 2012.

Sadly, being a low altitude mach speed bomber, you can't have any question of reliability. We've lost enough pilots in them already, so we don't want to lose anymore.

Last edited:
There as good a plane today as they have ever been. With the upgrades and on going programs they are a very lethal ac.
Hope we keep them flying for as long as their lifeing permits.

That's my hope as well.
The problem is public perception. Media beat up is a wonderful thing isn't it.

You can see the headlines now if one crashes and the pilot and navigator are killed.

Back