Australia & England clash again. 2009.

Del Boy

The Australians are here in England trying to stop us from wresting the Ashes from them; they want to win the five match series of 5-day tests to hold onto them. This will be a severe challenge and only the toughest will survive; heads have been cracked already; this summer, the Ashes is all that counts.

But the ashes of what? Until now, it has been believed that they are the burnt remnants of a ball or stump given to the England captain Ivo Bligh later 8th Earl of Darnley by some Melbourne ladies in 1883, after Australia had given England a thrashing. It is a mere 5 inch terracotta urn!

Aboriginal historians now claim that the urn contains a tiny portion of the ashes of King Cole, captain of the 1st ever Australian team to tour England, in 1868. The team consisted entirely of Aboriginals.( they have strict code against lying and invention.)

Their matches were preceded by a team member, Dick-a-Dick, performing a war dance in front of the Pavilion, with only a slim parrying shield for defence, inviting the gentry to put down their G & Ts and hurl cricket balls at him!

So you can understand why the Ashes is must win situation for both teams.:cheers: C'mon England! Let's get those Ashes back!

Last edited:
Kinda reminds me of the unforgiveable rival between United States and Mexico in the soccer.

Sorry Del, but I'm going to have to side with Monty on this one.

Careful Padre - that there Kiwi has not revealed where he wants Australia to go.:)

The 1st test was most fantastic warfare - right up to the last second of the 5th day - with England's last two in the trenches , staving off a big Aussie win. There were lots of runs, lots of wickets, lots of talent and grit, and for England it was the great escape. 4 seperate centuries in the Australian innings! An historic and unforgetable draw at rhe last ball.

Although it was played in Wales, the fans were applauding like a huge football crowd, Aussie and barmy army singing and chanting, it was so exciting.

Last edited:
Careful Padre - that there Kiwi has not revealed where he wants Australia to go.:)

The 1st test was most fantastic warfare - right up to the last second of the 5th day - with England's last two in the trenches , staving off a big Aussie win. There were lots of runs, lots of wickets, lots of talent and grit, and for England it was the great escape. 4 seperate centuries in the Australian innings! An historic and unforgetable draw at rhe last ball.

Although it was played in Wales, the fans were applauding like a huge football crowd, Aussie and barmy army singing and chanting, it was so exciting.

Truthfully in cricket I am a West Indies supporter but outside that as my "sports event" shirt says "I support New Zealand and anyone playing England.

Del, on the subject of cricket, would you agree that Sri Lankan "bowler" Lasith Malinga is a chucker ! I do, and this was the subject of a fierce debate in our wardroom onboard our frigate in the Gulf.

Personally, Padre, Yes. He seems to be accepted, but it sure looks strange to me. :roll:

MONTY - you must be from Dunedin.

Last edited:
Ashes 2009

What a shambles the 2nd Test has been for Australia, after their performance in Cardiff, I had high hopes that playing at somewhere like Lords would really inspire the guys to perform miracles, (and having HM in the stands as a spectator as well.. and lets face it, how often would the Queen get out to the cricket?) and what happens....... Australia blows it........... :-( :bang:

Captain Pout better watch it, lest he not only lose a Test at Lords, but also become the first Captain to lose an Ashes series twice...... :biggun:

It ain't over 'til its over; I never write off the Aussies. It could still be a great game. Supposing they need 500 batting last , and go for it! Would you bet against them? So Strauss has a very difficult declaration decision to face if it comes to that.

MONTYB - Dunedin. Any English opponent will do ?- you are surely a Scot in disguise.:) Not Dunedin? - funny that.

I would love to say that we have the second test in the 'bag', but....i think we have blown that chance,, i will still watch the test until that last ball is bowled! and yell..
Aussie!! Aussie!! Aussie!!!!...lol..

Now that would be some bloody 'good' cricket if that happens....Nothing like the sporting rivalry between Australia and England..lol..The beauty of it is there's five games..and...you never know!!..lol..cheers Del Boy!

At 78 for 2 today and Ponting well set, day and a half left, I thought the Aussies were on their way; 250 per day is well within their grasp. However, it does look as tho it is slipping away from them now. Great series so far. Watch them in the next test, they never lie down. It is 34 years since we beat them at Lords. Last Ashes I was at Lords on the day they well beat us to open the 2005 series. We did eventually snatch the ashes by the end of the series, but I was not happy that day, but I gave them my congratulations. As Ian Botham said, "we still love each other - we still hate each other- its lovely!":smil:

Here's an example of old face to face enemies:-

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/114897/Boris-Flintoff

BTW - with about 2 hours to go today, and altho' 5 wickets down, the Aussies are still in there fighting. They already have scored 220 + today. Do that again tomorrow and the test may be theirs!

Last edited:
Thanks MM. It's a great set-up end to a great test, 2 in a row. I don't know who will blink first - the Aussies are easily capable of getting the runs - they damn well got 3i3 today!

Cheers.

EDIT : Monday lunch. Game over - great game, great victory, hard won. Well played Australia, you nearly changed history with your historic attempt at 520 last innings. 405 was brilliant.

I hope the rest of the series is as exciting as the first 2 games.

Last edited:
England wrenched the Ahses from Australia yesterday, on the 4th day of the 5th test. 2-1. Great series, great match.

Well played Australia, still fantastic; well played Ricky Ponting. The key moment which stopped Australia's brave attempt to subvert history and score 550 in the last innings was just as they were taking control at 220 for 2 wickets, Freddie Flintoff, playing in his last test, and fielding in a new position at mid-off, fielded a ball at distance from Ponting, and threw a powerful thunderball to destroy Ricky's stumps as he raced for home. Unbelievable. Great stuff.

Now we have the seven one-day games to sort out with the Aussies; bring it on!!:)

I despise cricket with all my heart, I have never seen a more dull and boring sport in my life.

Anyways, life in Australia is impossible if you dont go for someone in the ashes, and I always go for England.

I have never seen so many aussies look suicidal.

I don't like cricket either, but we will have to rename the famous insult to 'whinging Aussies!'

Back