Australia to become Maritime Power - Rudd

Zort Boy

Australian Prime Minister has stated that he wants Australia to become a Maritime Power capable of protecting her SLOCs and supporting troops deployed overseas.

Some VSTOL F-35s for the new Canberra class Assault ships would be a good start. What else should be looked at?

Last edited by a moderator:
Australian Prime Minister has stated that he wants Australia to become a Maritime Power capable of protecting her SLOCs and supporting troops deployed overseas.

Some VSTOL F-35s for the new Canberra class Assault ships would be a good start. What else should be looked at?

Money to fund a Blue Water Navy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, it's about time that the government looked at upgrading our seaborne defences, but whatever they buy hardware-wise, several things need to be considered...

We must be able to sustain a fleet on both sides of the country, we must be able to field sufficient personnel to adequately man all fleet units and we must make purchases based upon realistic needs........

The R.A.N has a long tradition of being able to do more with less, it's high time that our navy gets provided for...

Chinese are sending three warships to Somalia and African east-coast. Will be interesting to see how they perform as it will be the farthest Chinese warships have traveled (in modern times). Another reason for Australia to have a strong Navy.

You need a doctrine that will support it. Just cause some dude says that he wants to do something, doesnt mean it will happen. Training doctrines, mindset, and the capability to do so are very important.

I've heard that we might get a new outboard for the dinghy and a box of shot shells,... if the budget can stand it.

Forgive my pessimism, but I'll believe I when I see it.

I havent heard anything about Australian navy recently.

But personally, I beleive Australia should focus more on air power than navy/ground forces at the moment.

Australias air force could do with a lot better aircraft [They use the F-111 Aardvark as a bomber.. come on].

A stronger fleet of Frigates maybe...we have some 80 ships don't we? but hardly any of them are for heavy combat situations most of them are for patrolling for illegal fisherman!!!

I havent heard anything about Australian navy recently.

But personally, I beleive Australia should focus more on air power than navy/ground forces at the moment.

Australias air force could do with a lot better aircraft [They use the F-111 Aardvark as a bomber.. come on].

We need both, the RAAF uses the F111 in its fighter-bomber role & the FA/18 as its principal air superiority platform....... Both are good birds, but there's a lot of talk about buying the JSF when/if it ever comes online...

We need a maritime strike fighter capability, we need to be able to provide cover to fleet units operating away from territorial waters and as good as the RAAF might be, (and they are), you have to be realistic about operational capabilities........ Hopefully, the ALP government wont allow our defence forces to run down, the way they have done in the past, (at every opportunity)............

If the government are insistent on buying western technology, then I see no reason why the RAAF can't re-equip with the Eurofighter, (given that it's already in service with four major european nations) and then purchase x number of F35's from America for the RAN to reconstitute the Fleet Air Arm.....

We could always follow the example of some of our neighbouring countries and buy up whole squadrons of Migs & Sukhoi's as an interim...........

Last edited:
the budget and white paper are just tools to fool the masses into thinking the government cares about defence interests until they call an early election later this year. it is a little disappointing to see that the ADF has bought the story; they are already finding the ways to save the $20 billion they are supposed to. it just goes to prove that if you are looking for a grade A suck-up, you can't go past the chief of the ADF. this time next year we will see that since they have found those savings they can save them- but that all the goodies promised in the white paper are just so many wishes.

the notion that Australia will ever go to war by itself is a bit of a pipedream. being a bit cynical about such things, i think that Rudd and co. are hoping that by providing niche capabilities for an American engagement with China it will be in America's interest to protect those capabilities. for example- by providing a significant force of amphibious troops with the two Canberra class LHDs it will give an American commander a useful diversionary tool; by not providing an integrated air wing in the form of F-35's either aboard the LHD or a 'real' carrier the American commander will have to provide such thus ensuring that the diversion does not become a suicide mission.

I'm a civilian so I might be talking out of my arse here, but wouldnt it be better to upgrade the RAAF and RAN bases and capabilities up north first?
The chinese are apparently regarded as our greatest military threat, so wouldn't surveillance/patrol and anti shipping aircraft come first and then "power projection" ships?

I think the idea is to work in concert with other navies in the area and defend Australia from any Chinese threat well before it reaches Australia.
Just a guess.
I think that's what Australia would rather do.
Then again, the Indonesians regard Australia as the enemy... depends on who they hate more I suppose!

And what exactly has "deploying troops oversea" to do with defence?
Somehow I have the feeling we go back to these days of the 19th century when the race for colonies was up.

I'm a civilian so I might be talking out of my arse here, but wouldnt it be better to upgrade the RAAF and RAN bases and capabilities up north first?
The chinese are apparently regarded as our greatest military threat, so wouldn't surveillance/patrol and anti shipping aircraft come first and then "power projection" ships?

we are upgrading the raaf new bombs new planes we were even pushing for the raptor but the us wouldn't let us have it we are also buying uavs for anti shipping/surveillance
as for the bases they are probably adequate as you dont want to put all the bases where the enemy could potentially bomb them

And what exactly has "deploying troops oversea" to do with defence?
Somehow I have the feeling we go back to these days of the 19th century when the race for colonies was up.

australia will probably have to deal with a few failed states in the south pacific in the future and we will need the boats to get troops there
this defends Australia by preventing these states from becoming terrorism /crime breeding grounds close to australia

Last edited:
Back