Australia to become Maritime Power - Rudd

Submarines built at the rate of 1 per year so we end up with 28.
Reason 28 is that is the time we will be keeping each collins boat and i presume son of collins.

Get your air power up and running with F-18 Rhinos, they can be use by the RAAF, and the RAN, and be configured to do just about anything. The F-18 E/F is basically a F-14 with a different body on it :)
Also keep up with the subs, and deploy the WW2 German Wolf Pack tactics.
Frigates and Tin cans are also a good idea.
However I'd stay clear of Battleships, and carriers unless you want to do the whole world police thing

It is interesting that the White Paper avoids the subject of robotics- other than the seven UAVs for border surveillance. According to some reports I have read (Fast Thinking Magazine, Peter Singer Interview in Australian) the US is operating up to 7000 drones and 12000 ground robots (these seem a bit high to me but I haven't found anything to say otherwise). Be interesting to see where we end up.

I also see that the review of funding requirements for the White Paper is already set to come up short. Around 4% of GDP required funding versus around 3% of GDP projected funding.

I think ADF funding is at 2 or 2.2% of GDP.

About the rhinos...yeah i rekon we should bring the total up to at least 50 and buy 50 eurofighters.
Cancel F35 because by the time a single squadron is in service counter stealth technologies will make F35 LO null and void.
Also there is no way the us will buy all the F35's she wants because she simply cant afford it,so the unit price of each F35 will undoubtably go north.

Last edited:
Say what? I guess a Trans-Am is a Mustang with a different body on it.

Nope a trans am is a trans am a Ford can't even come close.
But according to the pilots who fly over my house every day in the 2 seat Superhornet, it has all the same capabilities of a F-14-B or C, with the exception of the GE101 engines. Only difference is it will out turn a Tomcat, and fly slower without doping out of the sky.

Nope a trans am is a trans am a Ford can't even come close.
But according to the pilots who fly over my house every day in the 2 seat Superhornet, it has all the same capabilities of a F-14-B or C, with the exception of the GE101 engines. Only difference is it will out turn a Tomcat, and fly slower without doping out of the sky.
F-18 isn't rebodied variable geometry. '70 Boss 302 vs...Did the T/A ever actually race in Trans-AM? well...hmmm OK Boss 429 vs whatever Pontiac had in a '70 T/A.

I dunno about the F-18 I'm only going by what the pilots tell me, they transitioned from Tomcats to Hornets, and from Intruders to Hornets out at Oceana, and so far they all love the capabilities.
As for the cars the Ford 302 can't compare to the Chevy 350, Ford had the 351 Windsor, BUT Pontiac came out with the 400. I think the biggest ever was either the, but I'll still put a Trans am against a Mustang as long as I have a 350 455 or the 573 International

I dunno about the F-18 I'm only going by what the pilots tell me, they transitioned from Tomcats to Hornets, and from Intruders to Hornets out at Oceana, and so far they all love the capabilities.
As for the cars the Ford 302 can't compare to the Chevy 350, Ford had the 351 Windsor, BUT Pontiac came out with the 400. I think the biggest ever was either the, but I'll still put a Trans am against a Mustang as long as I have a 350 455 or the 573 International
Glad they like them, but both sounded like a good thing & the updated A-6(F or G?) could have been usefull recently.
BOSS 302 isn't an ordinary 302 & compares nicly to the 302 Z28 engine. I'd pick a 351 Cleveland 4 bl against a 350, & a BOSS 429, 429 Cobra Jet or Super Cobra Jet vs the Pontiac.

Scrap the 100 odd F35's the RAAF are getting,instead increase FA18F buy from 24 to 60 to 70 and buy 30 to 40 F35's and use those F35;s as silver bullets eradiating targets for SuperHornets to fire on...or mabey thats FA18F to eradiate for F35.

Subs are good and no morefrigates or destroyers are needed but a few corvettes will do the job of extended patrol compared to patrol boats....and the ability to construct tactical and strategic nuclear weapons on short notice,so the designs need to be in place(both warhead and delivery platform be that bomb,cruise missile or ballistic missile).

You australians against an aussie nuke need to wake up to yourselves because at the end of the day no 1 but ourselves will be here to defend ourselves and we cant do it conventionally against the 2 soon to be expansionist powers in china and india...allies word isnt enough.

END OF STORY

Money to fund a Blue Water Navy.

Autralia dont need a blue water navy we only need the capabilty to deny an opposing blue water navy and the way we do that conventionaly is through submarines and anything more is beyond our economic means so our fall back guarentee position should be to have tactical and strategic n8ukes to make up for our size.

END OF STORY

Finally, it's about time that the government looked at upgrading our seaborne defences, but whatever they buy hardware-wise, several things need to be considered...

We must be able to sustain a fleet on both sides of the country, we must be able to field sufficient personnel to adequately man all fleet units and we must make purchases based upon realistic needs........

The R.A.N has a long tradition of being able to do more with less, it's high time that our navy gets provided for...

To realistically sustain and man a fleet on both the east and west coast is quiet frankly unrealistic because its not the indonesians who we have to worry about,its the chinese and indians in the not to distant future...and there is no way we can conventionaly build our forces up anywhere near enough to spar with either...nukes are whats needed...END OF STORY

try to buy german submarines ;) they are the best- **** the rest :jump:

German subs are coastal boats not blue water boats...aus needs blue water boats to meet the enemy far from australian shores.

And german boats are the best?...aussie boats have some of the systems found on the USN Virginia SSNS.

And most importantly waterproof.

Why do kiwi men take sheep to the edge of the cliff?....because they push back harder....bahhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited by a moderator:
Autralia dont need a blue water navy we only need the capabilty to deny an opposing blue water navy and the way we do that conventionaly is through submarines and anything more is beyond our economic means so our fall back guarentee position should be to have tactical and strategic n8ukes to make up for our size.

END OF STORY

Gee I guess you don't mind fighting the enemy up around Darwin after they sink the coastal defense boats do you? Let me tell you something, A blue water navy is what won WW2 in th pacific and Atlantic, If England hadn't gone to a Blue Water Navy they would have NEVER got into the Med and next thing you knew the Italian Navy, and Kriegsmarine would have been berthed in Portsmouth.

German subs are coastal boats not blue water boats...aus needs blue water boats to meet the enemy far from australian shores.

And german boats are the best?...aussie boats have some of the systems found on the USN Virginia SSNS.
I can't argue the fact that your modern subs have some Va class electronic systems, but I can argue your comment that German boats are coastal, German subs have ALWAYS been Blue water Boats. And if you have Blue water subs your gonna need Blue water support ships, and to defned those your gonna need Blue water surface warfare ships. You can't argue otherwise with me, cause your wrong. the Navy vets on this board should know we have more time in the Navy than you have on the earth. Now instead of complaining about what Australia needs and how the rest of the world won't be there to help, why don't YOU do something to help Defend Australia?

Gee I guess you don't mind fighting the enemy up around Darwin after they sink the coastal defense boats do you? Let me tell you something, A blue water navy is what won WW2 in th pacific and Atlantic, If England hadn't gone to a Blue Water Navy they would have NEVER got into the Med and next thing you knew the Italian Navy, and Kriegsmarine would have been berthed in Portsmouth.

I can't argue the fact that your modern subs have some Va class electronic systems, but I can argue your comment that German boats are coastal, German subs have ALWAYS been Blue water Boats. And if you have Blue water subs your gonna need Blue water support ships, and to defned those your gonna need Blue water surface warfare ships. You can't argue otherwise with me, cause your wrong. the Navy vets on this board should know we have more time in the Navy than you have on the earth. Now instead of complaining about what Australia needs and how the rest of the world won't be there to help, why don't YOU do something to help Defend Australia?

Dont care fot the world to help aus.
Aus cannot defend herself conventionally against major players.
Aus cannot afford to defend herself conventionally against major players.
Aus needs nukes to defend herself.
Wha the world may think off that i trully care.

Surface ships to refuel and supply subs is preferable but against a major player RAN surface ships arent survivable,so subs on their own will ahve to suffice.

Last edited:
You don't care for the world to help defend Australia? Gee I wonder if I can go ther and take a poll and see if the rest of the country aggrees with you.
Nuclear weapons should ALL be dismantled and DESTROYED, using nukes is like seeing if you can make a radioactive wasteland out of the planes one little hotspot at a time.

You don't care for the world to help defend Australia? Gee I wonder if I can go ther and take a poll and see if the rest of the country aggrees with you.
Nuclear weapons should ALL be dismantled and DESTROYED, using nukes is like seeing if you can make a radioactive wasteland out of the planes one little hotspot at a time.

Taking a poll wouldnt matter as the aus public by and large are to dumb arse to give a shitt.

Nukes dismantled and destroyed huh?
If you did that how many conventional world wars would we be up to?

Taking a poll wouldnt matter as the aus public by and large are to dumb arse to give a shitt.

Nukes dismantled and destroyed huh?
If you did that how many conventional world wars would we be up to?

Naaa your country is obviously smarter than you are
Yes dismantled and totally destroyed, nuke power is the only thing spliting atoms should be used for.

How many conventional wars? Dunno, don't care as long as there's a planet to have them on.

Spalt we don't need nukes. Never have and too much of a headache for our small military to look after.
Only issue with a bigger Navy ( to run the extra subs and ships) is we currently don't have enough bods for our current fleet.
Ramp up a few more subs and ships and get our aircraft purchase on track!

Back