Aussies and the Noose

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
AN Australian lawyer has issued a private prosecution against condemned drug trafficker Van Tuong Nguyen in a last-ditch bid to prevent his execution in Singapore tomorrow.

Melbourne lawyer Brian Walters SC said the charges could allow the Federal Government to seek Nguyen's extradition from Singapore to Australia.

Mr Walters has charged Nguyen with two counts of conspiring to import heroin and one count of conspiring to traffic heroin.

A summons issued for Nguyen requires him to attend Melbourne Magistrates Court on February 2 next year.

Mr Walters has sent a copy of the charges and summons to Justice Minister Chris Ellison.

"The Federal Government has said that Van Nguyen could not be extradited because he could not be charged. That is not the case," Mr Walters said.

"Van Nguyen has been charged, Minister Ellison has been advised and the Government must act now to get a stay on the execution while extradition proceedings can begin."

The Federation of Community Legal Centres executive director, Pauline Spencer, said a private prosecution was rarely used but was a mechanism available to any member of the public.

"They are just issued at the counter. They are filed as documents, nothing is proven and there is no prima facie case," Ms Spencer told AAP.

"The Government has been saying that without charges an extradition cannot happen.

"Now this has been delivered to the Justice Minister Chris Ellison he can move to seek extradition."

Mr Walters said there was enough time for extradition proceedings to be started and therefore to stay Nguyen's execution tomorrow.

He called on Senator Ellison to act quickly.

"There is enough time, whether or not people are going to move quickly is another matter, but there is enough time," he said.

Mr Walters said Nguyen could be extradited because he was not serving a custodial sentence, just waiting for a death sentence to be carried out.

"The provisions of the extradition act permit his extradition now," he said.

Mr Walters said he expected the Victorian or Commonwealth Department of Public Prosecutions to take over the matter if it proceeded.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17426106%5E1702,00.html

So what's the take on this guy down under, should be swing?

If he were an American its a given there would be little if any commotion over such a matter.

I have noticed that all of the "character witnesses" the Aussie papers are offering forward all come from this guy's early childhood. His mum and his kindergarten teachers. No one from his adolescence or adult life have come forward- red flag.

Australians are fully aware of the dangers of carrying drugs while O'seas.
He broke the law.
Got caught.
Tough luck.
Spare a thought for the victims if he got back to Oz and sold the drugs on the street.
Another lesson that many young people will ignore and try their luck.

I look at it this way,
25,000 adicts cannot get another shot or
25,000 people cannot take up the habit

Let the guy Swing. Or as me and mates have been saying, let him Hang Round for a bit. Sorry, tasteless joke I know.

The thing that gets me is, everyone started making a fuss about this now, not 2 years ago when he was arrested and orginally charged.

Back