Aussie Reserves in Afgh.

--

January 20th, 2010  
koalaburger

Topic: Aussie Reserves in Afgh.

I read in the paper that my old reserve unit 1 Commando Company was in Afghanistan. Our reserves are not usually sent overseas, so I was surprised to see this. They did tell me the Company was put on standby for Vietnam but never went. Any Aussies know if reserves have served overseas before and if this report is correct. If it is the Taliban better watch out cause these guys are well trained. I don't think I have mentioned anything not already in the public domain.
January 20th, 2010  
Wallabies

1 CDO is over there. PTE Gregory Sher who was Killed In Action was a member of 1 CDO. 1 CDO go over the winter months to take the strain off 2 CDO, which is the full time commando regiment, who deploy in spring/summer where it is more active. 1 CDO also provided members to OP ASTUTE in Timor Leste. Reservists currently provide all of the personnell to OP ANODE in the Soloman Islands as well. Some reserves were integrated into B COY 1RAR for OP ASTUTE deployment in 2007 as well.
January 21st, 2010  
SigJohnson

Yeah chocs have been deployed OS on quite a few occasions, Sollies, Bouganville, Timor and of course RCB
--
January 21st, 2010  
captiva303

yerp they are going quite a few places these days,
albeit in limited numbers...
January 21st, 2010  
koalaburger

Wow it is all a bit more fair dinkum than when I joined. We were just in it for the parachuting and the cool haircuts.
September 27th, 2010  
AussieNick

Currently GRES have troops in all Australia's deployments at the moment.

If you want information on this I suggest you visit the Department of Defence website for further information.
September 27th, 2010  
AussieNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalaburger
Wow it is all a bit more fair dinkum than when I joined. We were just in it for the parachuting and the cool haircuts.
Oh, by the way, what was your service history before you went SF?

I'm a little bit curious to hear about your background you understand.
September 27th, 2010  
koalaburger

Hey Nick,

As I said 1 Commando Company is a Reserve Unit based at Balmoral in Sydney. So I joined straight from civvy street. We had a Major and Warrent Officers on secondment from the SAS in Perth. The only 2 ways of getting in to the SAS are from the regular army and Commando Reserves. We used to lose one or two a year to Perth. I only spent a year there because the commitment was increased and the weekends required were doubled and my work had a fit. It was way back in 1982 and I think we were still using muskets. I have just emailed defence about a letter of service. Apparently there has been a spate of fake war heroes in the US since 9/11 and I think they should be named and shamed especially on a site like this.
September 28th, 2010  
AussieNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalaburger
Hey Nick,

As I said 1 Commando Company is a Reserve Unit based at Balmoral in Sydney. So I joined straight from civvy street. We had a Major and Warrent Officers on secondment from the SAS in Perth. The only 2 ways of getting in to the SAS are from the regular army and Commando Reserves. We used to lose one or two a year to Perth. I only spent a year there because the commitment was increased and the weekends required were doubled and my work had a fit. It was way back in 1982 and I think we were still using muskets. I have just emailed defence about a letter of service. Apparently there has been a spate of fake war heroes in the US since 9/11 and I think they should be named and shamed especially on a site like this.
Interesting that you'd mention 'fake war heroes'...

Yeah I'm fully aware of who 1 Commando Regiment is, I have several good friends in the unit.

So you joined SF directly from civy street in 1982... I find that very interesting because direct recruitment into the Commandos (be it GRES or ARA) didn't start until 2003. Furthermore you say you served 1 year.... It must have been pretty hard to get recruit training, infantry IET, SFET, commando reinforcement and basic parachute completed during that time and still find time to have a civilian job.
September 28th, 2010  
koalaburger

For an officer Nick you are not very good at research. I am not going to go through it again I just suggest you contact reserves information or just check your facts and then apologise.