Aussie Reserves in Afgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

koalaburger

I read in the paper that my old reserve unit 1 Commando Company was in Afghanistan. Our reserves are not usually sent overseas, so I was surprised to see this. They did tell me the Company was put on standby for Vietnam but never went. Any Aussies know if reserves have served overseas before and if this report is correct. If it is the Taliban better watch out cause these guys are well trained. I don't think I have mentioned anything not already in the public domain.

1 CDO is over there. PTE Gregory Sher who was Killed In Action was a member of 1 CDO. 1 CDO go over the winter months to take the strain off 2 CDO, which is the full time commando regiment, who deploy in spring/summer where it is more active. 1 CDO also provided members to OP ASTUTE in Timor Leste. Reservists currently provide all of the personnell to OP ANODE in the Soloman Islands as well. Some reserves were integrated into B COY 1RAR for OP ASTUTE deployment in 2007 as well.

Wow it is all a bit more fair dinkum than when I joined. We were just in it for the parachuting and the cool haircuts.

Currently GRES have troops in all Australia's deployments at the moment.

If you want information on this I suggest you visit the Department of Defence website for further information.

Wow it is all a bit more fair dinkum than when I joined. We were just in it for the parachuting and the cool haircuts.

Oh, by the way, what was your service history before you went SF?

I'm a little bit curious to hear about your background you understand.

Hey Nick,

As I said 1 Commando Company is a Reserve Unit based at Balmoral in Sydney. So I joined straight from civvy street. We had a Major and Warrent Officers on secondment from the SAS in Perth. The only 2 ways of getting in to the SAS are from the regular army and Commando Reserves. We used to lose one or two a year to Perth. I only spent a year there because the commitment was increased and the weekends required were doubled and my work had a fit. It was way back in 1982 and I think we were still using muskets. I have just emailed defence about a letter of service. Apparently there has been a spate of fake war heroes in the US since 9/11 and I think they should be named and shamed especially on a site like this.

Last edited:
Hey Nick,

As I said 1 Commando Company is a Reserve Unit based at Balmoral in Sydney. So I joined straight from civvy street. We had a Major and Warrent Officers on secondment from the SAS in Perth. The only 2 ways of getting in to the SAS are from the regular army and Commando Reserves. We used to lose one or two a year to Perth. I only spent a year there because the commitment was increased and the weekends required were doubled and my work had a fit. It was way back in 1982 and I think we were still using muskets. I have just emailed defence about a letter of service. Apparently there has been a spate of fake war heroes in the US since 9/11 and I think they should be named and shamed especially on a site like this.

Interesting that you'd mention 'fake war heroes'...

Yeah I'm fully aware of who 1 Commando Regiment is, I have several good friends in the unit.

So you joined SF directly from civy street in 1982... I find that very interesting because direct recruitment into the Commandos (be it GRES or ARA) didn't start until 2003. Furthermore you say you served 1 year.... It must have been pretty hard to get recruit training, infantry IET, SFET, commando reinforcement and basic parachute completed during that time and still find time to have a civilian job.

For an officer Nick you are not very good at research. I am not going to go through it again I just suggest you contact reserves information or just check your facts and then apologise.

As research is your short suit Nick I did a simple google search and found this site.
http://en.specwar.info/special_forces/1st_commando_regiment/ It states "Two RESERVE Commando Companies were raised in June 1955." I did not finish training as it takes 18 months. I did go on 2 week raid at Evans Head after evasive flying in a Hercules. I also did basic infantry and Nav work on weekends. I missed parachute training by about a month. I was a NSW cop at the time and my workmates complained about all my weekends off. I have no doubts you are an officer Nick because your lack of smarts and speed at reaching the wrong conclusion remind me of most officers I met in the Military.

PS- This was all after 2 weeks at Badia Barracks where we creamed about 10 other units in every area.

Last edited:
koalaburger, you got to understand because there are so many fakes folks can only be skeptical unless given sufficient proof.
I carry a wallet sized laminated documentation most of the time in case anyone has questions, including qualifications cards (originally for checks made by MPs regarding qualification badges on uniforms). If anyone has any doubts it usually solves the matter rather quickly. As long as they're not being douche bags about it, I'm not offended.

As research is your short suit Nick I did a simple google search and found this site.
http://en.specwar.info/special_forces/1st_commando_regiment/ It states "Two RESERVE Commando Companies were raised in June 1955." I did not finish training as it takes 18 months. I did go on 2 week raid at Evans Head after evasive flying in a Hercules. I also did basic infantry and Nav work on weekends. I missed parachute training by about a month. I was a NSW cop at the time and my workmates complained about all my weekends off. I have no doubts you are an officer Nick because your lack of smarts and speed at reaching the wrong conclusion remind me of most officers I met in the Military.

PS- This was all after 2 weeks at Badia Barracks where we creamed about 10 other units in every area.

You got evidence from a google search to answer a question I didn't ask.... Hmmm. I think you've jumped the gun on that one.

I know very well that 1 Commando Coy & 2 Commando Coy were raised in 1955, and that they were combined into 1 CDO REGT in 1981.

What you don't address is the fact that you joined SF direct entry BEFORE the direct entry scheme.... You see my issue.

PS- I won't be issuing you with an apology. I still don't believe you.

Nick,

To accuse somone on this site of being a fake you need to be bloody sure of your facts. Did you bother to call the commando unit at Georges Heights. I sent off today for my service record and I am going to get it to Redlegs by fax. I am then going to ask that you are banned from this site. To be a fake is about the worst sin on this site. To accuse someone as being a fake without even doing basic research is bloody outrageous. Direct entry into 1 Commando Company has been the case for years. We had to do a physical entry test at Georges Heights to even get selected. After I left a lot of cops joined because we could get 4 weeks a year off to do reserve work. Make a phone call you jerk instead of listening to equally ill informed mates over the back fence. I put in that site because you said direct entry into SF was not available to RES until 2003. So 1 Commando Company and 2 Commando Company RESERVE units activated in 1958 can't have reserves enter them.
I sure hope you are not an example of the quality of officer they have in the army now.

Contact Army History Unit: Available after next Tuesday on 6266 4248 or 62662280.

Last edited:
Nick,

To accuse somone on this site of being a fake you need to be bloody sure of your facts. Did you bother to call the commando unit at Georges Heights. I sent off today for my service record and I am going to get it to Redlegs by fax. I am then going to ask that you are banned from this site. To be a fake is about the worst sin on this site. To accuse someone as being a fake without even doing basic research is bloody outrageous. Direct entry into 1 Commando Company has been the case for years. We had to do a physical entry test at Georges Heights to even get selected. After I left a lot of cops joined because we could get 4 weeks a year off to do reserve work. Make a phone call you jerk instead of listening to equally ill informed mates over the back fence. I put in that site because you said direct entry into SF was not available to RES until 2003. So 1 Commando Company and 2 Commando Company RESERVE units activated in 1958 can't have reserves enter them.
I sure hope you are not an example of the quality of officer they have in the army now.

Contact Army History Unit: Available after next Tuesday on 6266 4248 or 62662280.

Cool it pall. Threats to try and get people banned won't work. But then again, you were a NSW cop in the 80's.... so I guess threats are a standard practice for you.

Read what I posted. Direct entry to the SF from enlistment was not available to either Reservists or Regulars until 2003. Now we're getting bogged down in semantics, and your having a go at officers (I'm sure you had a lot of experience with a wide range of officers in the 1 year you served). So, go and cool off. If you prove that you're legit, that's great, but I don't believe it until I get it confirmed by a moderator. If you doubt my credentials or knowledge of the unit we're talking about, check my service details.

I could contact HMAS Penguin, if I really cared, or even RHQ at Randwick.... But I don't.

All I've done is call you out because I think you're a fraud, I would think that a ex-serviceman would understand the desire to prevent misrepresentations.

Last edited:
two words, black hats.
Sorry Nick, it was possible as a chock, even ARA .....at least for SIGS into 126 Sig and 152 Sig, both SF units.

BTW Koala, what was your ECN by chance?

Last edited:
Sig,

I can't remember after nearly 30 years. It doesn't matter that you agree with me that you could directly enter the Commandoes this idiot is so blinkered he won't even make a phone call to avoid smearing someone who worked their guts out to serve this country. I am done with this site. Redleg lets 03USMC run riot here too. This is just a bully buddies cocksucking site.

Not sure I would call nick blinkered, you will note I aimed my comment towards the non grunt side of sf, in particular sigs

Sig,

I can't remember after nearly 30 years. It doesn't matter that you agree with me that you could directly enter the Commandoes this idiot is so blinkered he won't even make a phone call to avoid smearing someone who worked their guts out to serve this country. I am done with this site. Redleg lets 03USMC run riot here too. This is just a bully buddies cocksucking site.
Jeez,... you sound like a 13 year old schoolgirl that's been interferred with.

Haven't you ever run into this type of argy bargy before? Serving one's country doesn't make people anything special as a person, just as being an officer does not.

What you have to remember is that Servicemen are just civvies who joined the services, their reasons for doing so running the whole gamut from some who just wanted to, some who thought it would make them "cool" or another Rambo, and some because they were unemployable anywhere else.

Returned servicemen are just a selection of the above who were priveleged to be able to serve their country when they were needed, and were lucky enough to return, some did their jobs above and beyond the call of duty, others were lazy skiving "head workers" who tried everything to avoid having to do their jobs, 99% just did as they were told because that is what they were expected to do when they signed on the dotted line.

Get over it, life goes on,....

Not sure I would call nick blinkered, you will note I aimed my comment towards the non grunt side of sf, in particular sigs

Yeah my comments were directed towards the shooters of the SF world. I've never to sure about how the black hats did their thing, sigs have always been a bit of black magic to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back