Aussie RAAF bloke and the RAF officer.

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
While stationed in Singapore, around 1969 I was detailed to take part in an exercise “up country,” into Malaya. I was detailed to drive a Bedford RL 4x4 3 tonner loaded with some sort of radio equipment in convoy with another other 3 tonners and a bus loaded with the sparks radio operators, finally ending up at the Aussie RAAF station at Butterworth. We had a great time with the Aussies at night playing snooker, a few beers a good yarn, and of course a lot of good humoured banter. Brilliant.

The first morning there, one of the Aussies greeted our (very) young RAF pilot officer (the lowest RAF officer rank) in charge of us with “G'day mate.” The pilot officer declared, “Mate? I'm not your mate.” The Aussie muttered “Bloody stuck up Pommy bastard” and walked off. The pilot officer went bright red in the face, spitting and spluttering, which caused the rest of us “erks” to go into hysterics. That didn't go down too well either with our very young “Rupert” either.

He He He... reminds me of the movie "The Lighthorsemen"- there ws a scene, where at a rear rest area, the Aussie troops were doing their R&R, and were walking around in their working shorts. An English major (I think he was the camp supervisor, of sorts) told the Aussie battalion commander that shorts MUST not be worn in camp. The battalion commander naturally said that he will ensure this directive will be complied with.

Well, in the next scene, the Camp supervisor was greeted by Aussie troops walking around butt-naked!

Trust the Aussies to have some fun...

He He He... reminds me of the movie "The Lighthorsemen"- there ws a scene, where at a rear rest area, the Aussie troops were doing their R&R, and were walking around in their working shorts. An English major (I think he was the camp supervisor, of sorts) told the Aussie battalion commander that shorts MUST not be worn in camp. The battalion commander naturally said that he will ensure this directive will be complied with.

Well, in the next scene, the Camp supervisor was greeted by Aussie troops walking around butt-naked!

Trust the Aussies to have some fun...

I've always found Aussie and Brit humour similar, very dry.

Montgomery recalls in his memoirs of seeing a truck carry British troops when one of the soldiers stood up wearing a top hat, took off his top hat and bowed to Monty. Monty apparently found it highly amusing.

Last edited:
Back