Aussie fires 63 at Bridgestone after 67 at PGA, leads Tiger by 4

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/4140474

Scott continues hot play

AKRON, OHIO - Adam Scott has played better than anyone else in his last two rounds.

Now if he can just work on his timing.
Four days after closing with a 67 for his best finish in a major, Scott made nine birdies over his last 12 holes Thursday for a 7-under 63, giving him a two-shot lead over Jason Gore and leaving him four shots clear of Tiger Woods in the Bridgestone Invitational.
Scott made his charge too late Sunday at Medinah to have any shot in the PGA Championship, where he tied for third.
Just his luck, they don't award the trophy Thursday.
But the 26-year-old Australian appears headed in that direction, especially the way he kept his tee shots in the short grass at Firestone South, which enabled him to fire at the flags.
"That was my hope coming into this week, to keep playing like I did last week," Scott said. "I just tried to keep working on the same stuff and got it going a little today. I hit a lot of good iron shots and really took the pressure off my putting by hitting them so close."
Gore, who got into this World Golf Championship by winning the 84 Lumber Classic last year, played with an old friend from his junior golf days in California — Woods.
It was the first time Gore has played with Woods on the PGA Tour.
"It's the first time I've played with him since he's been Tiger," Gore said. "Last time I played with him, he was still Eldrick."
Woods didn't look nearly as sharp as he was four days ago at Medinah, where he captured his 12th career major with a five-shot victory. He traded birdies and bogeys until finishing strong with wedges into 8 feet at No. 16 and 12 feet on No. 18 for birdies and a 67.
Lucas Glover checked in with a 66, freed from the pressure of his bid to make the Ryder Cup team. He was devastated when he wasn't a captain's pick Monday, blaming himself for his poor play this summer. But on his first trip to Firestone, he liked what he saw.
"You could have a major here tomorrow," he said.
This WGC event is for Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup players, along with the top 50 in the world and select winners of tournaments around the world. So it was tough on players such as Glover and Davis Love III to not be part of the Ryder Cup conversation.
"It felt horrible," Glover said of not being picked by captain Tom Lehman. "But I didn't deserve it. I'm going to ask Tom — not now, but later — what I need to improve on. But the pressure is gone right now. I'm very relaxed because I don't have to think about it."

In other tournaments

Roberts shares major lead — Defending champion Loren Roberts shared a one-stroke lead after the first round of The Tradition, the final major of the Champions Tour season.
Roberts, Bobby Wadkins and Wayne Levi each had 67s on the par-72, 7,150-yard course at the Reserve Vineyards and Golf Club west of Portland, Ore. Tom Kite and Keith Fergus were a stroke back with 4-under 68s.

Roberts won the Senior British Open last month at Turnberry for his fourth victory of the year. He has five wins in 21 career senior starts — including last year's Tradition when he beat Dana Quigley with a bogey on the second hole of a playoff.
MacKenzie tops Reno-Tahoe — Will MacKenzie tied a PGA Tour record with three eagles in one round, including a 52-foot putt, and shot a 9-under 63 to take a one-stroke lead over Bob Estes in the opening round of the Reno-Tahoe Open.
MacKenzie had all three of his eagles on par-5s, including one on which his 293-yard approach shot landed 8 feet away.
He tied a tour record set three times earlier this year — by Arjun Atwal at the Buick Invitational, Bubba Watson at the Zurich Classic and Jason Gore at the John Deere Classic.
Four tied in LPGA event — Stacy Prammanasudh took advantage of ideal scoring conditions to shoot a 6-under-par 66 and grab a share of the lead with Jee Young Lee, Kristal Parker-Manzo and Katie Futcher in the opening round of the Wendy's Championship for Children in Dublin, Ohio.
Horschel advances — Medalist Billy Horschel was among the 16 players who advanced to the third round of match play at the U.S. Amateur, defeating David Merkow 3 and 1 at stormy Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaska, Minn.

Back