Audie Murphy - Sorry if this is a repost or in the wrong forum.

If you ever get to Arlington National Cemetary, his grave is just about 20 yards from the Tomb of the Unknowns.

I drive through his hometown every day on my way home from work. Farmersville, Tx claims him as their hometown hero and has signs that claim to be "Hometown Of Audie Murphy." There's about 3000 people there. I think his family lived outside the City limits in the country but Farmersville was the only town close enough for shopping.

Well, the most decorated combat soldier anyhow. There were probably a few Generals with more medals but not more earned in battle.

Team Infidel said:
If you ever get to Arlington National Cemetary, his grave is just about 20 yards from the Tomb of the Unknowns.

Damn school group.....I wanted to visit his grave for respect. But the school group aren't interesting, they only interesting into the Tomb of the Unknowns and JFK's grave but Audie Murphy's grave. Oh, well. I did respect the Tomb of the Unknowns and JFK.

One think worth mention is that he was turned down for the Marines and then joined the US Army and tried to get into Paratroopers they wouldn't let him in ethier, hell they even wanted to make him a cook. This is what makes his story so remarkable is that he was a misfit who became a big time hero.

I actually went and saw his grave today. I was hosting some friends on the DC tour and we stopped at Arlington on the trip. They took off to the Tomb, but I paid my respects to good ol Audie.

Not only was he a battler, but he had lady luck sitting on his shoulder, and if there is any thing a soldier needs and that is some luck.

His grave is the most visited in Arlington next to JFK. His movie, To Hell and Back, is based on his autobiography by the same name. I've never read the book but the movie is excellent. Audie already was a movie star before his movie, starring in a couple westerns.

Yeah, but you know what. On the tour, they didn't even mention his name or grave when we got to the Tomb. You have to go and seek it out.

Just a plain headstone, nothing elaborate. It's a testament to his character. A modest man and a good American.

dc521vg6.jpg

The Cooler King said:
Just a plain headstone, nothing elaborate. It's a testament to his character. A modest man and a good American.

dc521vg6.jpg

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I think that is the only type that is allowed in Arlington.

Senior Chief said:
Not trying to rain on your parade, but I think that is the only type that is allowed in Arlington.

Oh no... there are several, non traditional, headstones in Arlington. Most General Officers, and Supreme Court Justices, Presidents and what not have different types of headstones in certain areas.

Facts about the movie "To Hell and Back"

Audie Murphy originally declined the opportunity to portray himself in the movie, not wanting people to think that he was attempting to cash in on his role as a war hero. He even suggested that his role be played by Tony Curtis.

Former WWII General and President Dwight Eisenhower did not enjoy Murphy's films, saying his combat scenes were unbelievable due to his small stature. However, Murphy's relatively short height is not particularly noticeable in To Hell and Back or in his other action movies.

Other Audie Murphy facts

Audie Murphy's height and weight at his enlistment was 5 ft 5 in and 110 lb. After a three year enlistment, he grew to 5 ft 7 in and 145 lb.

Was the original choice to play the Scorpio Killer in Dirty Harry.

Purchased a Middle Eastern oil field in the 1960s which was blown up during the Six Day War, causing him to file for bankruptcy.

He was a life member of the National Rifle Association.

Always a modest hero, Murphy gave away his awards and decorations to friends. When these were replaced by family members, he again gave them to those closest to him.

Audie Murphy was a great man, America needs more good hearted folks like him. Another good soldier and man was Alvin York.

Most of America's greatest soldiers are people that work the land, believe in hunting and the ideal that every man should be able to handle a firearm, believe in the good lord, and are good natured folks.

Audie Murphy became a crack shot with a rifle by hunting and putting food on the table during the depression. Alvin York was also a great shot by being a great hunter.

Last edited:
Team Infidel said:
Oh no... there are several, non traditional, headstones in Arlington. Most General Officers, and Supreme Court Justices, Presidents and what not have different types of headstones in certain areas.

The headstone provided by the Government is like the one on Murphy's grave. I've visited many national cemetaries and the headstones are always the same style as Murphy's.

Back