Attention British Members...

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
As an American I am sorry that my President has insulted the United Kingdom. The USA and the UK have stood side by side since the dark days of the Great War. I have met and served alongside proud citizens of the Empire. I thank you for your nation's service while standing beside mine in our greatest hour of need.

First it was the returning of the bust of Winston Churchill, then it was the DVD set fiasco, and now it is an iPod.

Once again.... Sorry and just because I have him as my President doesn't mean I voted for him. Please remember that over half of the American population (over 53 Million Citizens) did not vote for him.

Those of us that believe in Freedom and Friendship still view you and your nation as one of our closest allies.

**Blinks**
I am sure these were all earth shattering insults to the United Kingdom and I am expecting war to break out any minute, the New Zealand Defence Forces are on alert along with several troop of Scouts and the Girl Guides are mobilising as we speak.

It is all over the news here, well no it isn't but I went to the BBC website to check on the outrage and there was nothing there either, sadly it also appears to have missed all local news as well as the BBC international news feeds but they have a nice write up on Obama's wifes dress, I am almost down to the comedy stations of Comedy Central and Fox News.

I am going to be presumptuous here and say that no matter what gaffes he has made in the UK it will pale into insignificance by comparison to his reason for being there ie the G20 meetings.

I think it was a task delegated to an underling who was stuck with a no win situation. How do you buy a DVD from an American store that is formatted for Region 2?
I don't think it's the end of the world and I don't think it's the worst thing that could have happened. A little embarrassing for America, yes, but not a whole lot beyond that I think.

Thanks for the post 5.56. Much appreciated.

I dont reckon any of us Brits/Poms or whatever you want to call us, are going to lose any sleep over it.

In my opinion for what its worth, neither are we going to blame, or get upset with the American people.

It makes a change that someone that actually likes us lol.

Last edited:
But that is not the point. The point is that the president of the United States has all the resources to get somthing a little better. Maybe if it is from me to you. But the president. And then the Qeen proable just said that to be polite. P.S please excuse the bad grammar

Well the queen gave the first family a framed photo of her and her husband... I'd say she has the resources to give something a little better too, wouldn't you? Tit for tat.

Quite honestly, I'd rather have the iPod........

Please accept my apology for that apology.

As for giggling like a schoolgirl and then winking at the queen? No apology there yet.

Guys I think that you're missing the point, presents get exchanged all the time - no one ever expects them to work, it is after all a tax write off!!

The crime is that Mrs Obama had the temerity to put her arm around the Queen, against all protocol. As a result of this deep and insufferable insult the British Ambassador will be calling on Mr Obama to demand satisfaction on the field of honour.

As any decent nation would, here is a preview of our chap, so that you know what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbMmDuvZh9Q&feature=related

You are free to select a champion of your choice, but this is Richard Sharpe that we're talking about so he'd better be good!

Failure to answer the call will result in forfeiture of lunch money and the Queen gets to keep the iPod & Gordon gets a set of Region 2 DVDs!!!

I think the people entirely (intentionally?) missed the point:

The Gift wasn't the IPOD itself. The Gift was a giant photo album of the Queens last visit to the USA that was in digital format ON an IPODs flash memory.

Besides the Queen already has an I-POD, she bought one last year. So there is really nothing to apologize for.

If people want to give pointless apologes to Great Britain than we should start with that whole "American Revolution" bit in 1776.

Well, if the British people are not offended by the I-Pod gift or Michelle Obama's violation of a centuries old protocol of not touching the Queen, why should we care?
I'll admit to being surprised that the hug didn't precipitate much of a negative reaction. I remember an incident some years ago when the Australian PM (sorry, I don't recall the name) was labeled the "Lizard of Oz" or some such for doing something very similar. I guess times are indeed changing.

Last edited:
Have to say that the hug went down well here, and apparently The Queen told her to keep in touch! Michelle Obama has been a very big hit over here with everyone, and I don't ever remember seeing the Queen quite so comfortable in similar circumstances.:smile:

Nice to see USA back on our top-mate list!

I really wanted to say something very eloquent about this whole topic..... But it seemed I have lost the point or maybe even missed it completely. What has actually happened? Obama's wife did something to Lizzy II and Barack handed over his blackberry?

Well, if the British people are not offended by the I-Pod gift or Michelle Obama's violation of a centuries old protocol of not touching the Queen, why should we care?
I'll admit to being surprised that the hug didn't precipitate much of a negative reaction. I remember an incident some years ago when the Australian PM (sorry, I don't recall the name) was labeled the "Lizard of Oz" or some such for doing something very similar. I guess times are indeed changing.
Again, there are no rules against touching the Queen, and unless we were in the room, no one will be able to tell whether or not it was awkward or it was fitting for the circumstances... Or maybe Michelle Obama is liked over there.... God knows if we can get away with winking at the Queen, a hug is probably showing respect!

Again, there are no rules against touching the Queen, and unless we were in the room, no one will be able to tell whether or not it was awkward or it was fitting for the circumstances... Or maybe Michelle Obama is liked over there.... God knows if we can get away with winking at the Queen, a hug is probably showing respect!
Rule? Maye not, but it is protocol, a form of correct behavior generally accepted by diplomats and heads of state, not to touch the Queen. I suppose one could argue that Michelle Obama is neither a diplomat nor a head of state.

A representative from Buckingham Palace said that there are no formal written or unwritten instructions on touching the Queen... Michelle simply felt it was appropriate and did it... No big deal, it's not like the Queen reeled backward and had a heart attack as a result... In fact, the one who SHOULD be most upset, the Queen, returned the gesture!! If something really was a severe breach of protocol, wouldn't the one who it was geared towards be upset about it?

I just find it funny that Americans are the ones blowing up over this "blunder" that no one in Britain really cares about... Not even the ruthless British press made anything more of a mention of it.

Just what do you give a person that must have every thing, any way the Queen know doubt thought it was a paper weight. As far as putting her arm around the the Queen I noticed that the Queen put her arm around Mrs Obama, now has the Queen become a Queen one wonders well funny things happen with old age

Back