Attention British Members...

It doesn't matter how the people as a whole view it. It matter how SHE views it. The people aren't being hugged, the Queen is. Her opinion, because of that, outweighs all of the UK's opinion.

It's a personal matter. Invading her personal space is offensive to her, and her opinion on that, no matter that she's the the Queen (though she really has no authority in the UK that I am aware of), would certainly matter to me.

What if it was my culture to slap her on the butt? Does that make it right or wrong? It's an invasion of her personal space.

Of course, but that's just the point. The Queen didn't seem too bothered by it. She seems to really like the Obamas, she was FAR more displeased by Berlusconi tantrum then she was by the Obamas. Nor do most of the British people seem to offended by it.

The 'outrage' seems to come from our side of the pond, from people who aren't very fond of Obama to begin with.

Please accept my apology for that apology.

There's no need for either apology. I fully understand 5.56's reasons why he made it. If Gordon Brown for example, ordered that the bronze statue of Eisenhower in Grosvenor Square, London be removed, the Brits in here would be highly embarrassed and apologizing by the truck load.

There's no need for either apology. I fully understand 5.56's reasons why he made it. If Gordon Brown for example, ordered that the bronze statue of Eisenhower in Grosvenor Square, London be removed, the Brits in here would be highly embarrassed and apologizing by the truck load.
That's a bit more serious than a lousy gift.
This seems to have caused a lot of comment from America but had passed by unnoticed in Britain
My point exactly. About 25% of America is really upset about this... and that's about it, worldwide.

That's a bit more serious than a lousy gift.

I was refering to the removal of Churchills bronze bust.

But regarding the lousy gift, there's an old saying, "Its the thought that counts" lol

Chill out guys, the Brits arent bothered, neither I suspect is the Queen. In actualy fact I find it all rather amusing.:mrgreen:

I second that , plus BritinAfrica's later posts on this thread. :smile:

Back