Attention British Members...

A representative from Buckingham Palace said that there are no formal written or unwritten instructions on touching the Queen... Michelle simply felt it was appropriate and did it... No big deal, it's not like the Queen reeled backward and had a heart attack as a result... In fact, the one who SHOULD be most upset, the Queen, returned the gesture!! If something really was a severe breach of protocol, wouldn't the one who it was geared towards be upset about it?
No, the Queen is quite gracious and why are you trying to create an argument where there is none?

Was reading in Newsweek that the Administration has not yet appointed a Protocol Guru and was ....Unaware that the State Department had a whole section dedicated to explaining Protocol for just this type of Presidental Visit.....okey dokey but I'm a Grunt and knew that State had this capability. So this may have been an oversight and lack of proper briefing on protocol, and can be fixed in the future.

As far as the Ipod and DVD's go IMO thats a little weak but whatever. Especially the iPod being if rumors are to be believed loaded with copies of POTUS's speechs and family photo's. He did give Kevin Rudd an original copy of the Star Spangled banner so maybe he just needs to DX the yahoo who decided on some of the gifts.

As long as the Queen and the people of Britian aren't overly distraught about the breech of protocol I won't be. I am a bit embarrased however that the Obamas came off in some circles as a couple of yokels on the protocol end.

I won't even discuss POTUS bowing to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia...............thats another story.

I won't even discuss

No, the Queen is quite gracious and why are you trying to create an argument where there is none?

I'm simply sticking up for the First Lady... I don't believe it's anywhere near as bad, unprofessional, undiplomatic, etc as everyone on here (the American members, not the British ones, oddly enough) is saying it is...

I'm simply sticking up for the First Lady... I don't believe it's anywhere near as bad, unprofessional, undiplomatic, etc as everyone on here (the American members, not the British ones, oddly enough) is saying it is...
It was what it was. You can think whatever you want about it but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm sure Mrs. Obama would be proud to have you defend her. :)

I think the point you might be missing is while the breech in protocol is not an event thats going to cause a major crisis. I does reflect poorly on the level of briefing that they received and to an extent appears or may appear to some as a lack of concern for said protocol.

It was what it was. You can think whatever you want about it but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm sure Mrs. Obama would be proud to have you defend her. :)

Sorry guys, I was just having some fun - guess my sense of humour is out of whack, again. I think that it's great that the Queen is showing her human side - she is actually a very caring and intelligent person, from what I've heard. As for Michelle hugging her - why not! You can see from the clips that she was a bit unsure of herself, so she did what comes naturally, the Queen obviously didn't mind. If it had been me I would've probably mooned the cameras!

That said I want to see who you have to accept the challenge of Richard Sharpe...

Used tea bags at dawn then - Huzzah

I think the point you might be missing is while the breech in protocol is not an event thats going to cause a major crisis. I does reflect poorly on the level of briefing that they received and to an extent appears or may appear to some as a lack of concern for said protocol.
Or perhaps that, as another sign of changing times, it was appropriate in this visit. Maybe simply a sign of good terms between the US and Great Britain...

Question

Why are people making such a fuss about Michelle Obama hug while nothing was said about a year ago to Bush's public back rub of Angela Merkel? A double standard perhaps?

Another question

Could it be that this is about the Obamas, that's why everyone's sticking to that subject? Perhaps it's because it's 2009, a new president, a new time.

Question

Why are people making such a fuss about Michelle Obama hug while nothing was said about a year ago to Bush's public back rub of Angela Merkel? A double standard perhaps?
Bush being Bush I guess... it's like Manny being Manny in baseball.

Question

You know why. Because this was the Queen, and the protocol therein.

As it happens, The queen was comfortable with it, in this case, and there are pictures showing the Queen's arm around Michelle Obama's waist.

The concern of our American friends is correct in principle, but everybody's happy this time.:)

I dunno guys. If Michelle Obama put her arm around me, I'd run out of RAID, even if I had a case of it with me....

You know why. Because this was the Queen, and the protocol therein.

As it happens, The queen was comfortable with it, in this case, and there are pictures showing the Queen's arm around Michelle Obama's waist.

The concern of our American friends is correct in principle, but everybody's happy this time.:)

I don't see it that way, but to me the Queen is no different then any other head of state. I am not a Royal subject either so perhaps I just don't get "it" either. I am a mix of US-French, neither of which are historically too fond of monarchies...lol.
My feeling is that a Hug is not a big deal, but I would not have liked it all if she had given the Queen a back rub. That would be a protocol "no-no".

:wink:Hi MM. The Queen is a different proposition simply because she is The Queen, with the attendant protocol. That is how it is; what those from outside her realm think about that is actually irrelevant . (Especially French opinion!) He-he, I luv it!

Last edited:
I don't think it really matters who the "royalty" is- British, Russian, Saudi, or Chinese. I would show them the very same respect here in the states that I would hope they would show me when visiting their country. Hugging the Queen is just plain wrong. We don't succeed in doing anything but making ourselves look like blithering idiots when we physically impose ourselves like the Last Lady did. It is completely unacceptable.

I don't think it really matters who the "royalty" is- British, Russian, Saudi, or Chinese. I would show them the very same respect here in the states that I would hope they would show me when visiting their country. Hugging the Queen is just plain wrong. We don't succeed in doing anything but making ourselves look like blithering idiots when we physically impose ourselves like the Last Lady did. It is completely unacceptable.

I disagree, if the British as a whole don't seem to care about these incidents and the Queen clearly didn't seem to mind then why should anyone else.

It seem to me that the Italian clown Silvio Berlusconi annoyed her far more than the Obama's combined.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jNl8scer-wD0RTyIYFLeSOLoGcmAD97B6J080

It doesn't matter how the people as a whole view it. It matter how SHE views it. The people aren't being hugged, the Queen is. Her opinion, because of that, outweighs all of the UK's opinion.

It's a personal matter. Invading her personal space is offensive to her, and her opinion on that, no matter that she's the the Queen (though she really has no authority in the UK that I am aware of), would certainly matter to me.

What if it was my culture to slap her on the butt? Does that make it right or wrong? It's an invasion of her personal space.

Back