Attack on Habbaniyah Air Base

phoenix80

Banned
On 22 October 1980 two F-4D from the 71st Tactical Fighter Wing (TFB 7, Shiraz) as usual in very low altitude on their way to attack a large Iraqi Air Base at Habbaniyah, some 120 kilometers due west from Baghdad. As they flew into the SAM defense of the Iraqi capital, Sadly one Phantom was shot down by an Iraqi SA-6 surface-to-air missile and crew was captured.

While the other F-4 out maneuvered the second missile by making an 11 G turn. Mean while trying to jam the enemy radar emissions with its ALQ-109 jammer pod.

The crew soon realized that it was impossible to continue the attack and turned towards the secondary target at Al-Bakr oil refinery.

After the successful attack, the F-4D turned toward the border, with two Iraqi MiG-23MS in hot pursuit. The Iranian pilot jettisoned it's empty drop tanks and blasted on high speed at very low altitude going back with Iraqi's behind him firing couple of R-13 (NATO code AA-2 Atoll) missiles.

All could be evaded, however, some 70 kilometers from the border the Phantom crew realized that they spent to much fuel, and they could not even reach the border any longer. Thus, they declared an emergency and prepared to eject because they had no other alternative. At this time the supporting Boeing 707 tanker and two F-14A Tomcats that had waited behind the border did cross into Iraq to provide fuel.

At the time of contact between the F-4D and Boeing 707 there were only 700lbs fuel left in the tanks of the Phantom. Although the whole refueling operation was undertaken in medium altitude and Iraqi radar had full picture of what was going on not even one Iraqi interceptor dare come close due to the presence of F-14As.

Last edited:
Im not a plane expert, but a phantom pulling an 11g turn? I didnt think the phantom was capable of that And even if it is, with the more primitive g-suits of the day I figure the pilot is one tough SOB or blacked out and got lucky.

Anyway, good story.

The G force limit for the F4 is unknown, but with a maximum speed of Mach 2 (approx) and two RB168-25r turbojets with 21,250 lbs thrust each on re-heat - nothing is impossible :)

Last edited:
MightyMacbeth said:
technology these days...

I heard that the mig 21 or 17?? cant go over 9G's.. wonder if thats correct..
The MIG 21 has G limits at -4 to +8. Regarding the MIG 17 I cannot find any technical data that is thrustworthy at the time being.

sunb! said:
The MIG 21 has G limits at -4 to +8. Regarding the MIG 17 I cannot find any technical data that is thrustworthy at the time being.

ahh then what I said was mostly correct, thanx :m1:

Back