Attack Copters

Alright, Im really bummed on this one.

I barely know anything about Attack Helicopters, and I think that it would be worthwhile to learn a bit about them and which ones are better than which.

First of all, im interested in the differences between US and Russian attack helicopter designs. I heard of the new Kamov Ka-50, which is supposedly extremely manouverable, like the Mi-24 [Which even I know proved itself worthy in Afghanistan]. Then im hearing how the Apache is one of the best "Tank Hunters" there is, and that it is APPARENTLY "The best attack helicopter in the world" [Although probably some braindead idiots that play too much COD4 are the ones saying this all over]. Then im hearing how the Mi-28 is a much improved version of the Mi-24, and is suppposed to become the main Russian attack helicopter.

All these different sites ive visited give me different information. I have no clue what to beleive. Its like Sergei Ivanov is paying everyone to compliment the Russian designs or something.

So, I think it would be better to ask you guys, seeing as some of you probably flew an Apache or a Mi-24 [If there are any Soviet veterans around].

So im wondering what each of them are good at, and what they are crap at, and some additional information [Im talking about any Attack copter really, but im more interested in the Kamov 52 and Apache] and overall which one is "The tip-top" one.

Any attack helo that gets the bad guys off of me is the best..........for at least that moment in time.

The Mi-28 togather with improved versions of the Mi-24 was selected to be the main attack helicopter of the Russian army.

The Mi-24 itself was very diffrent from the US helicopters of the time(AH-1 Cobra) because it has the abilety to carry troops as well as a very heavy ammount of offensive weapons.

Ka-50 and Ka-52 are very fast and manuverable because they utilize a coazial-rotor system which allows more effective use of the engine power. But they are more expensive than the Mi-28 which is why they were only put to limited use.

The AH-64D Apache Longbow is considered the best in the world. It combines a radar dome(easily seen above the rotor) which allows it to engage targets without exposing the whole helicopter, network with other AH-64Ds to share target data, etc. It is armed with the Hellfire ATGM which is without doubt one of the best tank killers in the world.

I guess you will get the same mix of opinions here as from the sites you consulted:

Depends on the doctrine, really, methinks.

Apache (and European conterparts) employment doctrine differs (much, and really bascially!) from Hind employment doctrine (stealth sole hunter well commuicated, sat DL data for target aquisiton etc. pop-up tactics - Longbow even over horizon - vs. group effort, open attack, area fire as in arty barrage, psych effect, inf insertion, etc.).

Depending on doctrine employed Apache is not neccessarily *the best*, I argue this qualification does not exist under this ascpect.

Rattler

Last edited:
The Mi-28 togather with improved versions of the Mi-24 was selected to be the main attack helicopter of the Russian army.

The Mi-24 itself was very diffrent from the US helicopters of the time(AH-1 Cobra) because it has the abilety to carry troops as well as a very heavy ammount of offensive weapons.

Ka-50 and Ka-52 are very fast and manuverable because they utilize a coazial-rotor system which allows more effective use of the engine power. But they are more expensive than the Mi-28 which is why they were only put to limited use.

The AH-64D Apache Longbow is considered the best in the world. It combines a radar dome(easily seen above the rotor) which allows it to engage targets without exposing the whole helicopter, network with other AH-64Ds to share target data, etc. It is armed with the Hellfire ATGM which is without doubt one of the best tank killers in the world.

So the Apache would have a better survival rate, because they can attack targets without being exposed?

Cant the Kamov do that at all?

what about...

the agusta A129 mangusta (used by the italians and in the future the turks)?
the eurocopter tiger?
the denel AH-2 rooivalk (used by the south africans)?
the CAIC WZ-10 (used by china)?

i don't know much about helicopters, but on paper they are comparable.
in my opinion, if you have any of these modern helis (apache, mi, ka, etc), it probably comes down to the pilots...

hmmmm so american. long bow is a pritty old copter being apache just modernized.
apache is good stuff and well proven in combat. Russian choppers were mi35 it was mi 24 just with improvments. its a gunship.

best you could say now days is

1.ka52
2.mi28
3.longbow
4.eurocopter etc.
further I do not know.

id fly a mi 24or m35 which is the same just improved cause its a gunship and not a coppter :) well it is a copter but a gunship.

Back