Atkins Diet -- Any thoughts?

Thoughts on Atkins?

• Never tried it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tried it, and it worked great!

• Tried it, but couldn't stick with it because it was too restrictive.

• Never tried it, but it seems like a possibility.

• I don't diet.

• Other.

• Total voters
I've been doing it for 6 months now, and I've lost a total of around 15 pounds. I was a little chubby before, but now I look normal. My only problem is that even if I stray away from it for like a week, I get all bloated and my pants won't fit! :lol: I tried only introducing a few high-carb. foods back into my diet, but no matter what I do, the same thing always seems to happen. Has this happened to anyone else on Atkins? And please don't say to exercise, because A) I'm too lazy, and B) I hate going to the gym where all those creepy muscle-heads look over like "What are YOU doing here?". :lol:

Oh yay! You can attach a POLL too??? I never knew that! Yippee! I'm doing that!

Gracias!

~*Brittany*~

That reaction is more than normal, Grad.
I am against the Atkins diet. I could talk and talk and talk about diets and nutrition, but it would be too long. All I'm saying's I had my mom lose a lot of weight without depriving her of pretty much anything. What I did was improve, regularize and balance her diet itself. Our organism are conceived to only store food and burn it, but storing in for fear of a famine is what our evolution has taught our body to do. It hasn't changed yet. So once you WRONGLY take carbs suddenly off your diet then your body loses weight immediately, but there are two consequences:
1. Several values, specially in women, start to go up and down or simply down. Hormons especially. That is bad.
2. Once your body has verified, much to its shock, that there has been a sudden and large lack of carbohydrates, it will modify its metabolism in such a way that it learns to significantly slow down the burning process. In other words, your metabolism slows down like a snail. That means whatever you eat afterward, and above all all the carbs that you will re-insert in your diet (be it after 4 weeks or 2 months) will be stored and hardly be burned again. At that point if you try the harsh diet one more time, it will be harder for you to lose weight again, and then a cycle takes place. It's the famous yo-yo effect. This is extremely counterproductive because in the end, after a few times, you'll have to work 40 times as hard to see some results. Your body will have learned to not trust you and fearing an immediate lack of food it will do its best to convert all that it can into fats.
Of course I voted the never been on a diet thing.

Update: damn Option # 1 and the Don't diet option can overlap, I went for #1 but I shouldn't have, it seems. Oh well.

Update 2: I think I should point out my diet is the so-called Mediterranean diet, which consists of a hugely less amount of sugars, sweet drinks and greasy snacks.

Two guys in my company are on the Atkins diet as we speak (or write...), they started on the diet in april/may and have lost several kilos already (15 to 20 kilos I believe). They simply had to get on a diet to avoid heart attacks and other physical damages due to their weight so there was no choice really.

I don't know about diets in general, but I guess the best way to get on a diet is in cooperation with your regular doctor and try to combine it with proper training to gain musclemass and burn fat the proper way. On the other hand being more aware of what you eat and drop certain food items is always good never the less.

Myself on the other hand have introduced as much high carb food as possible to gain weight as well as regular training to gain muslces - so no low carb diet for me I'm afraid.
mumse.gif

Thanks you two! My situation is that I'm not obese, or even over weight. (My doctor actually threw a fit when I went in there the other day and told me that I need to gain another 10 pounds.) But, in accordance with the 'in-look' of being very in shape, I think that I could use to lose another 3-5 pounds, especially on my hip area. It seems like it varies from day to day on how big my hips/lower belly looks (depending on how many carbohydrates/ how much sugar I ate the day before). So, I don't think that just living by a "eat healthy", or "eat fruits and vegetables" will work for me, because I need something really strict to get these last few vanity pounds off. :confused:

I GUESS that I'll reluctantly have to try exercise if Atkins doesn't work, because I'm basically starving myself of everything but eggs and salads as it is.

Why did I become worried when you said you need to gain 10 pounds of weight? I will not tell you what to do, but if I was in your situation I would train the stomach, hips and bottom instead of getting into something that could possible do you underweight which is a quite serious condition.

Well, I'm not emiciated by any means! LOL The bum, arms, legs, and even stomach really are okay. It's just the hips that are the problem. My personal trainer said that because there were no mucles on the hips, and it's just a place where women store fat, the only way to shrink your hips is to lose weight all over. *shrugs shoulders* Oh well... I guess that I'll stick with my trusty Atkins and then try cardio as a last ditch effort. :lol:

~*Brittany*~

A good workout for your buttocks...

I do this in karate and you can do it in your home
get on your hands and knees...Lift one leg above your belt area and kick about 40 times with one leg and 40 times with another....I don't know the specifics on it but I am fairly certain it will help out with your hips.

first off atkins is for people who want to keep losing weight, not for those who have a little vanity they want to get rid of. keep eating what you were eating before the atkins. and honestly, dont worry about the hips. heres a little secret, the "in look" is overrated. most guys, well at least the ones i know, see those runway models and were disgusted by what we see.

so please, vanity pounds are a waste of your time. go out, have fun, and dont even think twice about it. because honestly, even if u do lose it, guys wont even notice.

Oh and always eat a good breakfast. It really gets your metabolism going for the day....and don't eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at night....my siste did that and gained about 10 lbs in a month...lol

The only successful diet has been Weightwatchers, especially for women for the support from their peers. Also, you can always see someone there more overweight than you. :)

Remember, regardless of what anyone tells you, what works for men doesn't necessarily work for women. We tend to gain bellies and love handles. Women have the most problem with their thighs and hips/rump.

By the way, refer to the "humor" section and "Cartoons."

I'm against the diet. May have something to do with my high carb intake (currently around 300 carbs a day). But more because one of my relatives was on the diet and got lost in a place he'd been many times before.

i dont diet, per se, but when wrestling season comes, then Atkins-ized food really comes in handy. its so much better to eat a couple of little things, rather that not eating at all, and im gonna have to cut 10-15 lbs. so i will be on my wrestlers diet, which is similar to atkins. i dont really know all the technical stuff, i just know that when i need to cut weight, carbs=bad.

Carbs DO happen! *looks around nervously* I just ate a rice crispy treat this morning! :lol: Best damn rice crispy treat of my life!

~*Brittany*~

Back