Atheists in Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stones - Page 8

--
Atheists in Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stones

March 2nd, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre
Why do you get angry when your bigotry is rebutted? Are you use to people caving into it? Broaden your circle of friends.
I'm not angry, I'm surprised for an educated person that you are so thick, you only read what you want to read. I can well believe your parents are from Northern Ireland, the national trait is certainly showing through.

Quote:
There is a 12 Step Programme for Bigots, and one version can be found in Karen Armstrong's Twelve Steps To A Compassionate Life. Check it out. It would look good on your shelf next to your other text "I Hate Catholics."
As you know so much about the 12 step programme I guess you needed it yourself. I haven't got the "I hate Catholics book", any idea where I can get it? It will go well with my "Bible bashing numbnuts of the world and how to dispose of them."

Quote:
The first and hardest step is to admit that you have a problem, but be brave. There might be a Bigots Annonymous Group in your local area? Worth checking out. Good luck.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bryan-..._b_812150.html
Now you really are being a silly billy. Get a life Padre and peddle your sanctimonious clap trap some place else.

But it really is strange that you don't answer Spikes post.
March 2nd, 2012  
42RM

"How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

But the good Reverend might not have reached that page yet.
March 2nd, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42RM
"How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

But the good Reverend might not be have reached that page yet.
Amen 42RM
--
March 2nd, 2012  
Trooper1854

It appears to me that some people may have missed a point regarding the general dislike of religion by people.
It is the hypocrisy of religion that sticks in most peoples throat.
In the UK the Christian church, regardless of denomination, is the second largest land owner and, therefore, one of the wealthiest organisations in the country, yet when the church roof needs replacing, its the poor old congregation who are asked to pay, while the church leaders sit in their palaces surrounded by their riches.
I have been called to a church because the good, God fearing Christians wanted a down and out removed from the church, where he sought sanctuary from the cold and rain, as the site of him offended them.
They wanted us to take him to hospital so he could have a hot meal and a change of clothes.
When we explained that A&E was not there for that and maybe as good Christians one of them should take this individual home and feed and clothe him, no one was interested.
I have seen so many religious leaders wave their holy book around yet they are more than happy to ignore the contents of that book as it suits them.
The "Not all nuns, priests, rabis, imans are bad" is quoted more and more by people who are trying to justify their particular belief's short falls.
I believe that the organised religions of the world have done good, but this is the minority and is driven by individual goodness.
The higher levels of the church exploit the good will of their followers to fleece them of the little they have.
Then when people challenge them, they trot out the usual tripe about "Faith" "Love of the Almighty" "Goodness" and so on.
I've peronally seen attrocities carried out because one person has a different view of how the supposed same god should be worshipped, we're not talking a different deity, but the same one!
I've seen people mutilated, tortured and murdered because they follow a different denomination and before anyone says "That's just the ignorant pleb mis-interpreting the good book" these plebs are being driven to theese horrors by leaders of the church.
I am no intelectual with a degree in theology and I do not have the slightest interests in the arguments of proffesional atheists and theologians, I just know what I have seen, and that is what has turned me away from religion, what I have seen done in the name of gods.
March 2nd, 2012  
BritinBritain

Absolutely spot on Trooper. Well said mate.

I really don't know what Padre is talking about when he said, "Why do you get angry when your bigotry is rebutted?"

What exactly has he rebutted, my personal experiences under the Catholic Church and at the hands of nuns or the examples I gave of Catholic higher echelon actively seeking out high ranking NAZI's?

Sorry Padre, you have rebutted nothing, all you have shown is your own bigotry, your own blinkered views and your refusal to read "exactly" what has been written.

Ah now I get it, the more posts on here, the more MIL Bucks he gets. I wonder if he needs a new church roof?
March 2nd, 2012  
Padre

Come on, fess up, which one of you is old Alf?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5iUoFeqHPM&feature=related"]Alf Garnett on Liverpool and Ireland - YouTube[/ame]
March 2nd, 2012  
BritinBritain

Alf Garnet was my hero and my mentor.

Come on fess up which one are you, the one in the middle?
March 2nd, 2012  
Padre

The Law of BritinAfrica holds that: If some of a group are bad then ALL of the group are bad, at least with respect to Catholics.

Lets apply his/her law to England and in fact he may have verifiable law after all?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mkwB9ayK4"]British are also NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES - YouTube[/ame]
March 2nd, 2012  
Trooper1854

Quote:
The Law of BritinAfrica holds that: If some of a group are bad then ALL of the group are bad, at least with respect to Catholics.
So applying your logic Padre, lets look at this;
Oskar Schindler was a member of the NAZI party.
He was responsible for saving the lives of over a thousand Jews and is a Righteous Person in the eyes of Jewish people (Rightly so)
Does this mean that the NAZIs weren't all that bad?
I'm not saying that the excesses of the NAZIs can be compared to any religious group today, but the reason behind members of the Catholic church helping NAZIs escape Europe at the end of WWII were because they admired their anti-communist and anti-semitism.
Pope Pius XII new what was happening both during and after WWII regarding NAZI attrocities and the collabaration of the church in assisting NAZIS escape and did nothing!
Religion is corrupt and hypocritical.
If a government were any where near as corrupt and hypocritical as religion, it would be thrown out.
March 2nd, 2012  
viper2007

I seriously think that this thread is going nowhere other than invoking a lot of ill feeling and to a certain extend, anger (at least I felt it in some of the responses). As I mention before, can we agree to disagree?

One is entitled to believe what one wishes to believe- that is one of the basic tenet of human freedom. Does someone who does not believe the existence of God makes him/her a lesser person? Does putting faith in religion will make a person above others? Just because one person does not believe in God makes him your enemy, or will suffer the eternal damnation? Based on what? and who decides that? Who has that right to decide that?

I am a Muslim, I have been taught what I am now putting faith in. But that does not guarantee anything. Will being a Muslim makes me a better person? That will depend very much on what I do as a Muslim. So being a Muslim that makes me better than the Hindus, the Christians (whichever denomination), the Buddhist, the Jews? Does it? Does it gives me the right to condemn others just because they don't believe in what I believe?

As any person who profess a faith, you have every right to believe what you want to believe, but it does not give you the right to belittle others who do not share your faith...

So you put a video to put across your point- was there one is the first place?

Let me pose to you this question, Mr Padre. Is Australia an island or a continent? It can one or the other, or even both, yes? Depends on how you look at it, right?