Atheist challenges "In God We Trust"

DTop

A California man who is a self proclaimed atheist says he will file a federal lawsuit in the coming week demanding the U.S. Treasury remove the words "In God We Trust" from American currency.
Any opinions on this?

Read more...

Philosophically, I agree, it's not like it would cost anything since you'd just leave it on the old bills that are collected and destroyed anyway and just not print it on the new bills.

I'm really more displeased with the pledge of alliegence that they stuck that McCarthyism "under god" part in there in 1952. I don't say it.

But, really, we've got bigger fish to fry.

...then again BASEBALL STEROIDS... hrm, maybe we don't.

I say it's been like that for forever, so why change it now? Some people have too much free time to worry about such things.
Besides, this country was built on faith. So I say let "In God We Trust" stay on the money. If you don't like it, move to another country or don't use it.

Note to Athiest: I'll be happy to take all your "In God we trust", money off your hands and replace it dollar for dollar with Monoply money.

As far as I see it, printing "In God We Trust" does not constitute a law that forces a religion on anyone.

How the courts see it is a different matter.

I am totally fed up with how this politically correct world is killing our heritage.

Doody said:
As far as I see it, printing "In God We Trust" does not constitute a law that forces a religion on anyone.

How the courts see it is a different matter.

I am totally fed up with how this politically correct world is killing our heritage.

My sentiments exactly. To all the athiests out there: Screw you!

So if the US government determines that it is against the law for the words "under God" to be on our money, then, so be it. And if that same government decides that the "Ten Commandments" are not to be used in or on a government installation, then, so be it. And since they already have prohibited corporate prayer in the schools, on which they deem their authority, then so be it. I say, "so be it," because I would like to be a law abiding US citizen. I say, "so be it," because I would like to think that smarter people than I are in positions to make good decisions. I would like to think that those people have the American Publics' best interests at heart. BUT, YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE I'D LIKE? Since we can't pray to God, can't Trust in God and cannot Post His Commandments in Government buildings, I don't believe the Government and it's employees should participate in the Easter and Christmas celebrations which honor the God that our government is eliminating from many facets of American life. I'd like my mail delivered on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving & Easter. After all, it's just another day. I'd like the US Supreme Court to be in session on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving & Easter as well as Sundays. After all, it's just another day. I'd like the Senate and the House of Representatives to not have to worry about getting home for the "Christmas Break." After all it's just another day. I'm thinking that a lot of my taxpayer dollars could be saved, if all government offices & services would work on Christmas, Good Friday & Easter. It shouldn't cost any overtime since those would be just like any other day of the week to a government that is trying to be "politically correct." In fact.... I think that our government should work on Sundays (initially set aside for worshipping God...) because, after all, our government says that it should be just another day... What do you all think???? If this idea gets to enough people, maybe our elected officials will stop giving in to the minority opinions and begin, once again, to represent the 'majority' of ALL of the American people.

Nice rant Cooler King. To reiterate what you said, if you want to take away "In God We Trust" from money and take away the Ten Commandments, you don't deserve Christmas, Easter, or Sunday off.

You can't say Amen in a public forum!!!! You might offend someone. What were you thinking?

I can't take credit for the rant though. Someone told me it, but I agree 100%. I thought it fit in quite nicely though.

hey, everybody deserves a second chance right? and what is more better than a man to ask true forgivenes? so its okay there buddy :D

I say u keep "In God We Trust" or God might get a liiiil pissed 8)

like its been said. better to live believing there is a God and die to find out there isnt, than to live believing there is not God and die to find out that there is.

keep it. to deny religion and morality in our government is to deny the existence of our government.

^^^^^ohhhh i like that one. i impressed myself there.

Nice Behemoth... 8)

And excellent argument Cooler King. I actually hadn't thought about those points until you brought them up. Solid man. :D

Of course, I say keep it.

Freedom of religious expression is guarenteed in the 2nd Amendment, right there with freedom of speech.

The "quote" that folks often throw out there to confuze the ignorant is the speration of church and state thing..and that's not even from the Constitution. It's from the Federalist Papers.

No where in my oath was the Federalist Papers mentioned. What was mentioned was "..to protect the Constitution of the United States of America, against all enemies, foriegn and domestic.."

Now, someone please convince me the idiot under discusion here isnt a domestic enemy of the Constitution so I can continue to sit on my lazy tail without having to acknowledge the fact that the only reason he's still breathing air is cause I'm either a coward or just simply dishonorable and unwilling to fulfill my oath.

Go on Grimmy, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. :lol:

The separation of church and state was not meant to keep God out of government nore to keep the religious moral principles from being a guiding force in the US government. It was entirely to prevent the situation in England whereby the head of state was the head of the OFFICIAL state religion. The US was founded by people seeking religious freedom and anyone even remotely familiar with the history of religious oppression by the state in England or other parts of Europe can easily understand what the founding fathers were getting at.

I for one am sick and :cen: tired of the constant situational ethics and revisionists constantly twisting and perverting the intent of the architects of the US to fit their own personal crusades.

behemoth79 said:
like its been said. better to live believing there is a God and die to find out there isnt, than to live believing there is not God and die to find out that there is.

Believe it or not, as an Atheist I actually agree with this quote. There is a good reason that religion is the "opiate of the masses". It is hard for many people to face the cold hard facts of reality, much eaiser to believe a white lie that makes everyone feel good.

behemoth79 said:
keep it. to deny religion and morality in our government is to deny the existence of our government.

Highly disagree. The history of democracy has been a cycle of amorality and abuse followed by a "cleaining house" like Teddy Roosevelt did. (Might I add, I'm still praying for a similar T.R. some 75 years later to clean our house). But outside of the amorality that is inherent in the democratic process I ask you this, "would you be less moral if there where no god?" Think about that question, behemoth. Is the only reason you give to chairity and do good in the world because you fear a god's wrath sending you to hell? Would you be a horrible amoral evil human-being if you found out there was no god? Or is it, perhaps, that you are actually a better person than one who just lives out of fear?

Back