ASVAB

ASVAB question

I am planning on going into the Marines for Field Radio Operator (MOS 0621) and an EL score of 90 or higher is needed. Is an EL of 90 hard to get, or easy? I've read how its added, (GS+AR+MK+EI) and was wondering how good at math you need to be to get that kind of an EL score. Thanks![/b]

maybe you should try a practice ASVAB test on military.com

i didnt do so good, i got a 76. :?

on the practice test they tested you on mechanical instruments, so u should study up on that.

Go out to your local book store and buy a book to help you study for the ASVAB. They are good study guides and can really help you prepare for a test.

I got a EL score of like 130 and I have not really played with electronics to any great extent. There are some general questions about current, ohms, AC/DC, adaptors, leds, ect. There was also a diagram of a circuit on the ASVAB.

More or less it is common knowledge stuff. If you read an article on electricity that goes over the basics you should be ok.

same here, I got a 96 on the ASVAB & they told me to pick any job but MP (no drivers license at the time...)

What is the scoring system for the ASVAB test? What is the best score you could get? What kind of score do you need to do what kind of job?

bllrby2104 said:
What is the scoring system for the ASVAB test? What is the best score you could get? What kind of score do you need to do what kind of job?

99 is the highest you can get
The jobs you need a higher MOS for are usually MI (military intelligence) (75 or better)
As a general rule you need a 31 to enlist, you can qualify for infantry, cook, and that stuff. If you have a GED, you have to have a 50.
Hope it helps

I think recently they changed the scoring system to a percentile. So if you scored a 94, that means you were in the 94th percentile. In other words, you scored better than 94% of the people who took the test. It's supposed to be a little bit harder to score high using that system.

MOS = method of service (job)
GED = General equivilant diploma (I think, its a test you take to get a high school diploma).

i found the fake asvab that the recruiter gave me brutally easy (98th percentile). we'll see if the real one is any hader.

dlippert said:
i found the fake asvab that the recruiter gave me brutally easy (98th percentile). we'll see if the real one is any hader.
i think they call it a practice asvab, not fake ;)
that was funny though, because i scored an 80 on that one and when i took the real asvab i scored 95. but after taking the practice one i didn't take the real asvab seriously because the math was easy for me after taking years of calculus, and the science was the same so it felt like i rushed through parts of it. i think if i were to take it again i could go through it a little more thoroughly i could have done better.

GED is GENERAL EDUCATION DIPLOMA. If you dropped out of high school and then went back to take this test, to get your diploma.

Yea, I took the practice ASVAB and made like a 75 and then I took the real one and I made a 95. So you're probably going to fare very well when you take it for when it counts.

asvab scores?

this may be a really stupid question, and i'm sorry if it is, but i took the ASVAB test and i got a 95, but im not going to join the military, i was wondering if there is anything else i could use it for, or if it was just for joining the service

it's mainly for joining the military, well the enlisted side of the military. i don't know of any other companies or anything in the private sector that would look at your ASVAB scores to make a judgement of your abilities.

The ASVAB is a percentile exam, so a 99 is the high score. A 50 puts you in the recruit catagory "Alpha". That and a High School Diploma will allow you 90% of all the jobs available. Recruiters are missioned for a certain number per month, and a "GRAD ALPHA" is a choice recruit and counts toward that mission, no matter the breakout of catagories the mission may have for that month.

Specific jobs are determined by your other scores. The GT (general technical), the mechanical, admin, etc. Your scores in those individual sub-scores are put into the computer and the Guidance Counselor at the MEPS gets a screen of jobs that are available that day. These are on the list because of your scores, but also on what jobs the Army needs to fill and the availablitty of future school slots that will match up with basic training slots so you are not waiting around between schools.

Try to figure out a top three list of jobs you want. Tell your recruiter your top two...so he can work with his first sergeant, commander, and guidance counselor to get you the job or enlistment incentive you really want.

good luck

In order to get a 99 you can get a couple incorrect as long as they are no weighty questions
Here are my Army line scores AFQT: 98 GT: 142
GM: 144 EL: 143 CL: 143 MM: 140 SC: 143 CO: 142 FA: 143 OF: 143 ST: 142
Recruiter asked how I did. I said not very good. he said he should smack me. I asked what for? then he gave me my scores and told me I was his first recruit to better his 96. So I told him in HS 1999 when I (and about when he) took the test the first time I scored a 96. The recruiters said that my line scores were more important than the AFQT. But I am still to fat (1% too much body fat).

92 Asvab 130 Gt

Why does everyone here seem to have extremely high ASVAB/GT scores?

And what is the D-Lab? Is that the test you take prior to enlisting in an MOS that requires knowledge of a foreign language? I havent taken it but I knew Spanish before joining and learned Arabic (basic only) when I was TAD for a month. Any idea how to apply for it?

I just took it.. got a 81.. lol dam.. I didnt study nothing too.. mostly took it to miss period 1-3 lol.
my marine crazed friend got a 77 and I was like.. w00t :) this is my junior year in HS...

I took it Nov 22, and I dont believe that the results have gotten back yet...guess i should go check with the counselor...

Back