ASVAB, a lil worried

N@vychick

It has been a while since I posted but I wanted to give a tiny bit of a update. My husband and I plans have not changed we still both want to join the Navy active duty. We are schedule to take the asvab on the 16th of March and I weigh and tape in too. Not only have I lost 10+ pounds but I have lost inches too. We have been studing everyday and I have been going to the gym everyday except on weekends. I am really worried about taking the test. I know that I know enough to get in but I really want to go into the nuke field and I am worried that I will not score high enough. Are there any nukes out there that can give me some in sight on what there academic challenges were taking the asvab and how it worked out for them.

I just took the ASVAB in January (I'm Army National Guard). I thought it was fairly easy. Have you tried taking the practice ASVAB online? You could also go to the Navy's website to look up what your scores must be to get into the field you would like.

I qualified nuke but chose not to go with that field, I don't have much constructive to say other than that I haven't taken any math classes since high school (that's almost five years now.) but I scored a 97 on the ASVAB. The math is not very difficult, the reading and comprehension sections are not very in depth. In all honesty anybody who made it through sophomore year of high school should do just fine. Know some basic physics (Speed=Distance/Time is very useful for the physics parts) and automotive (The difference between an engine and a motor should be sufficient knowledge to pass that part) to improve your line scores, that'll help you get into the Nuke field even though those areas don't influence your aggregate score. Plus keep in mind your score is not based on how many questioned your answered correctly but how you do in comparison to everybody else that takes the test, hence why the highest possible score is a 99 and not a 100. You can miss several questions per section and still score in the high 90's so don't pressure yourself into perfection. If I remember correctly a 93 is the minimum to qualify nuke but don't quote me on that one.

yes I have taken several and I do well. I guess I just need to quit worring so much. Does anyone know if the Navy is in need of nukes right now?

They're always in need of nukes, MEPS and my recruiters couldn't believe I would say no (apparently it's the most prestigious job in the military outside of C-in-C) and I had to waste three hours on phone calls with people in the nuke fields from all around the Midwest trying to convince me to change my mind. If you qualify for nuke you're in if that's what you want to do.

You have a chance to become Nuke if you score a 70 or above. If you score below an 83 (I think) you have to take a math test to see if you qualify.

Last edited:
yes I have taken several and I do well. I guess I just need to quit worring so much. Does anyone know if the Navy is in need of nukes right now?

Anything worth doing is worth thinking through. If you are prepared, then you shouldn't worry. It will work out. I believe you can re-test if you don't like your score anyway. (I am not positive on that though).

the longer the asvab takes the better yourr doing it is a progressive test

you need a 94 or better to be a nuke unless they droped it in the last decade

a nuke

i spent my navy career working in pipe shop in r-1 at a fast attack base.
nuke power school is the most stressful school in the country with harvard med being number two. it is a huge comitment and if you turn to nuke waste(wash out) you get sent to the fleet un designated. and i tell you bosun's mates are bosu's mates for a reason. basicly you end up a deck ape. chipping paint for the first 18 months of your enlistment. if you score high enough to be a nuke my advice to you is be an IT because you will work with best computer systems in the world. years ahead of civilians. or be a yeoman and have a security clearence better then the prez. i was a nuke and thaught when i got out there would be a ton of jobs for me in the powerplnts but iv been out 6 years and to my disapointment most nuke plants havnt had a job opening in 15 years and there is a waiting list. i guess if i had to do it again id be a yoemen or a meatoroligest

Thank u all for all of the great info. I take the test on Monday. I am so anxious. I will be sure to post on this thread to let everyone know how I did and which rating I decide. My heart and mind are pretty much set to be a nuke so if given the opportunity I would take it in a heart beat.

hey N@vychick haven't seen you on the cafe lately how did everything go...was looking through the tread and saw you I'm glad to see a familiar person on this website hope everything went well make sure you stop by the cafe and let everyone there know how it went:cheers:

My computer has been down all week is why I havent posted but I am so disappointed with my score. I got a 62; obviously not high enough to go nuke so I am looking for other ratings that might interest me before I go to meps. Does anyone know of any other great rates with fast advancement, challenging and related to electronics. If a enlistment bonus can be included that is always great too. I am open to all responses thank u.

N@vychick, have you asked your recruiter if you would be allowed to study more, and then test again? If your heart is set on the nuke field, you might check with him/her on the possibility...

I was told that I might not be able to because I score decently high enough to enlist with plenty of other rates available to me that I do qualify for. Is there any truth to that? My husband is away testing right now.

I was told that I might not be able to because I score decently high enough to enlist with plenty of other rates available to me that I do qualify for. Is there any truth to that? My husband is away testing right now.

My husband is with me at the moment (he's a Marine vet)... He said that for you to bring your score up to 94 it would take you about 4 years of schooling to get there. You would also have to have a high GPA during your studies. His advice is, If you want nukes, join the service, advance your knowledge and skills and then apply for an AA to slide into a new field.

Hope that helps! ;)

PS... what part of the Nuke field are you wanting to get into? Have you looked at the Navy site to explore the different fields? http://www.navy.com/careers/

Last edited:
I wanted to hopefully get a ET rate in the nuke field. I am looking more at other ratings also so I wont be to disappointed when I go to meps. Thank u for all the info. I will let everyone know what I decide.

Back