ASVAB fear

J3nnenator

This must sound really lame but after my appointment with a USCG recruiter, given my paper to take the ASVAB and all, I'm literally scared to take it. I'm 18, graduated high school.last year and so eager to join the Coast Guard. I knew that the coast guard was high standard but they expect a score of 65. I just wanted to know if I could possible still be able to qualify with lower than a 65? I'm what I call math retarded, its never been my best subject so I'm scared to pass just the reading stuff [my best subject] and fail the math. I literally got under 10 questions right when I did the pratice, I know its a shame. So I also want to know from those who have taken the test is the math really that hard? Is it still possible for me to get a good score even if I bomb on the math sections? I apologize if these questions are a repeat as I'm somewhat new to this site :/ please help and thanks to anyone who does, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Look, the golden rule in most cases when giving advice (especially in these forums) is "Don't say 'I think', say 'I know' because people are wanting the correct advice".

And, regardless of the fact that I'm not a US Citizen, nor a member of the Coast Guard... I can quite confidently post in response...

Mate, is this something you want? Or isn't it?

If it is - back yourself.

Regardless of military branch/corps etc, those who have the confidence in themselves to take those requirements, understand them, prepare as necessary and smash the bastard like it just insulted your mother almost always get over the line. If you don't, well, you will know better than anyone if you gave it your best or not.

But regardless.... asking whether or not to try is probably the most redundant question you can ask. Because if you want it, you'll go for it.

Grit your teeth and do it-or quit before you try-your choice and yours only.

Be advised that if you're successful that attitude may be required at anytime once you're in.
Hopefully you'll get into rescue or something regarding action and serious thinking.

Good luck-hope you do well.

I used to hate it when someone would tell me "Try not to worry about it so much"...some people worry way too much & there isn't one thing anyone can say or do to help the situation. Take the test, see what you score. I was very good at math, scored very high in mechanical and electronics...found out later I was very much colorblind :shock: so that automatically disqualified me for both of my 2 highest scores. They will find you a job dude.

Almost forgot...ALWAYS go with your first thought & DON'T EVER change answer. My experience has been this will get you into more trouble than anything else.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'm just gonna keep working on my math til Monday [when I take the test] and stay confident. I'll be sure to let ya know if I pass :) which I plan to, god willing.

Even if you pass the ASVAB with flying colors, they cannot force you to enlist. So kick back and relax. Do the test without any fear or concern about enlisting. They cannot force you to enlist, period.

Back