Assault Rifle

Dingo

If you could only have one assault rifle, to use as an all round weapon in combat, which would you chose?

Sea_Cadet said:
M1903 Springfield

too bad thats not an assault rifle.

the upcoming xm8, sounds like a beast
anyone know what caliber rounds thats going to use?
5.56, or will the brass wisen up and switch to 6.5 or 6.8?

C/Cpl. Chirico said:
Sea_Cadet said:
M1903 Springfield

too bad thats not an assault rifle.

the upcoming xm8, sounds like a beast
anyone know what caliber rounds thats going to use?

I beg to differ, it is a combat rifle, and define assault rifle for me. if it means fully automatic then the SAW is an assault rifle.

Dictionary.com

assault rifle
n.
Any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles designed for individual use in combat.

n : any of the automatic rifles or semiautomatic rifles with large magazines designed for military use [syn: assault gun]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I would choose the M16A3 rifle. It's an M16A2 with piccatany rails and full automatic instead of burst capability.

A definition of Assault Rifle is easily seen in the German Language. It isn't the MachineGewehr or the MachinePistole or the Gewehr it is the SturmGewehr. Meaning that it isn't a machine gun or a machine pistol or a main battle rifle (which the 1903 is). It is an intermidiate and seperate entity from the two other weapons than it was designed from (SMG + Main Battle Rifle), meant to take on the best of both. Hitler himself coined the term SturmGewehr (Assault Rifle) when he was presented the first true Assault rifle the Stg44.

Plus how can the SAW be an assault rifle when it is called the Squad Automatic Weapon

Ps. Don't look to much into dictionary.com for military definitions.

OK every post with what weapon you like ends up with someone being smart and saying like a cannon or something. CMON everyone knows what an assault rifle is. If you don't Examples:M4, M16, G36, Aug Steyr.

EagleStrike said:
OK every post with what weapon you like ends up with someone being smart and saying like a cannon or something. CMON everyone knows what an assault rifle is. If you don't Examples:M4, M16, G36, Aug Steyr.

Yep, which is why I first put
Vitaly said:
G36, the new Barret 6.8 SPC proposed weapon, or the new FN SCAR

C/Cpl. Chirico said:

What is wise about using rounds you cannot easily acquire when supply runs low or that leaves an unmistakable calling card? Just because it looks good on paper, and fairs pretty well in testing, does not mean it is practical, logical or safe in reality.

Yup, you have to think Logistics too. Your army's useless if it's got no ammo.

Don't ever do a "DiMorga," that is, just because one thing has a higher number on paper, assume it's better than something smaller... just because it's bigger. i.e. People who think the .50 is a practical round for all weapons. Those who think the 7.62mm is automatically better than the 5.56mm no matter what the conditions.

If that won't do it for you, then try this:
A cat is quick and nimble... it can catch a mouse. However, while it prepares to strike, it's so focused that it is not too hard to catch it with a small net on the end of a stick. Thus there is a vulnerability.
Now you can't catch an ox with a net on the end of a stick, but an ox cannot catch a mouse to save its life.

Think about the mission. The hardware is designed around the mission, the mission isn't designed around the hardware.[/list]

Back