Assault Rifle

5.56X45mm said:
Cadet Seaman said:
ghost457 said:
how is it not an SMG? it fires pistol bullets...... isnt that the point of an SMG, to fire lower-powered rounds on full-auto?

Not really. The AKSU fires a smaller round than the AK-47, does that make it an SMG?

How can you say an SMG is meant "to fire lower-powered rounds on full-auto". The .44 Sharps carbine fire a .44 pistol round does that make it pistol?

You can convert the M16 to fire .22, does that make it a SMG.

No the AKSU doesn't fire a smaller cartridge. It fires the standard rifle cartridge of it's parent design. If it's a AKS-47U. It fires the 7.62X39mm M43 cartridge. And if it's a AKS-74U, it fires the 5.45X39mm cartridge. The Colt 9mm Cartridge is a SMG. It fires a pistol caliber. Just as the FNP90 fires a pistol cartridge. But the FnP90 falls under a different weapon catagory. It's a PDW. A Perosnal Denfense Weapon. So that's all a different game.

Thats what I meant the AKS-74U not the 47. The Colt 9mm is kinda large for an SMG.

Craftsman said:
FN2000 isn't really an assault rifle. Look at the Colt 9mm M4, its called an SMg but it isn't an SMG.

How is the f2000 not an assault rifle? Is there a new rule i don't know about? It is 5.56, it takes a 30 round magazine, it is selective fire, it has it's own 40mm grenade launcher. It has a short barrell (400mm), does that mean it's a carbine? Is a carbine not an asault rifle?

It sure as hell isnt a candy bar.

I'd say carbine, assault rilfes are a bit longer.

Cadet Seaman said:
Craftsman said:
FN2000 isn't really an assault rifle. Look at the Colt 9mm M4, its called an SMg but it isn't an SMG.

How is the f2000 not an assault rifle? Is there a new rule i don't know about? It is 5.56, it takes a 30 round magazine, it is selective fire, it has it's own 40mm grenade launcher. It has a short barrell (400mm), does that mean it's a carbine? Is a carbine not an asault rifle?

It sure as hell isnt a candy bar.

I'd say carbine, assault rilfes are a bit longer.

you're judging what and assualt rifle is by LENGTH????
rather that by cappablilty?

the bullpup design means it still hasa rifles barrel length, but in a more compact package

I'd say most military rifles average 500mm barrel length.
Carbines 400-450mm
A Carbine is still an assault rifle in my book.

Thats why:

FN2000 isn't really an assault rifle.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Id say carbines come under the assault rifle label as they are just shortened versions of existing rifles for paratroops, special forces etc. there too big and the calibre is wrong for them to be smgs.
The M4 is a carbine and ive always thought of it as an assault rifle. And bullpups and rifles like the M16 have the same barrel length only the package they come in is smaller with the barrel moved backwards into the stock and the trigger moved to the front.

Shadowalker said:
Id say carbines come under the assault rifle label as they are just shortened versions of existing rifles for paratroops, special forces etc. there too big and the calibre is wrong for them to be smgs.
The M4 is a carbine and ive always thought of it as an assault rifle. And bullpups and rifles like the M16 have the same barrel length only the package they come in is smaller with the barrel moved backwards into the stock and the trigger moved to the front.

but a bullpup is NOT a carbine, it has a rifle length barrel

Craftsman said:
I'd say most military rifles average 500mm barrel length.
Carbines 400-450mm
A Carbine is still an assault rifle in my book.

Thats why:

FN2000 isn't really an assault rifle.

Doesn't make sense to me.

How's that? A carbine is a carbine.

chewie_nz said:
Shadowalker said:

but a bullpup is NOT a carbine, it has a rifle length barrel

Sorry guess i didnt make myself clear, i think a bullpup is an assault rifle as i tried to say with the bit ive highlighted. Its not a carbine as it has the same barrel length as a full rifle

What makes a gun an assault rifle. A an assault rifle is a weapon capable of both semiautomatic and automatic that fires INTERMEDIATE cartriges. I dont heard anything about barrel length. F2000 is an assault rifle by right. Its like the same thing as calling an m4a1 a carbine, and not an assault rifle. Besides a carbine is a SHORTENED version of a rifle. Therefore it IS an assault rifle.

Besides if the barrel is not long enough then how about we replace the 400m barrel on the f2000 with a 600mm huh! Would that satisfy u?

I'd pick something dependable and non-plastic: AK-74M or AK-107. Or possibly the shorter AK-105. In cal 5.45x39 Russian, a round that is less dependant on velocity (it isn't designed to fragment but to tumble, which it does even at lower speed, ie at longer distances or when fired from a short-barreled weapon) and thus can be used efficiently at both short and long distances and in weapons with a wide variety of barrel lengths.

I couldn't care less if the weapon is perceived as a symbol of democracy or oppression as long as it keeps me alive. ;)

I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole. And to just explain, today. Firearms terms are changinh. A carbine used to be a Carbine, and a rifle was a rifle. But it's all gone goobledigook. The PRC calls the Type 56 Carbine (Chi-Com Ak-47) a carbine when it's a Rifle and they call the Type 56 Rifle (Chi-Com SKS Carbine) a Rifle when it's a Carbine. And with the whole Bull-Pup thing. It's even worse.

Just out of curosity,

What is the difference between a rifle and carbine. I know that like dragoons, carbines were orginally used by horse mounted cavalry and essentially it was just a smaller and lighter rifle. But in todays day and age is their any other difference?

Back