Assault Rifle

Pete031 said:
Bren gun is also a British weapon... My Great Uncle was a Bren Gunner in WW2

Yeah I know, I meant that it was heavy and hard to carry around, so I figured that a british weapon was the subject and the only one which could be confused with sten is bren, which is also kinda funny since one is an SMG and the other is a LMG

The sten gun was made from a melding of two makers. One Chech and is where the "st" part comes from. Can't remember the name of the company at the moment. Maybe somebody can help me out with it. The second part "en" does indeed come from "bren" so thus the "sten" gun.

Charge_7 said:
The sten gun was made from a melding of two makers. One Chech and is where the "st" part comes from. Can't remember the name of the company at the moment. Maybe somebody can help me out with it. The second part "en" does indeed come from "bren" so thus the "sten" gun.
Nitpicking here.
Charge_7 (nice name though),
You got is wrong mate. The STEN name came out of names of the designers (R. V. Shepard and H.J. Turpin) and from the factory where they worked (ENfield arsenal). It was one of the most crude and ugly and simply, but effective submachineguns of the WW2. More than 4 millions of STENs of different wersions were made from 1941 until 1945.
http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg38-e.htm
The BREN machine gun had been initially developed in Czechoslovakia as ZB-26, and then redesigned to fire rimmed british .303 ammunition. The designation BREN stands for (BRno-ENfield).
http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg10-e.htm

Some Veterans were telling me that sometimes they would just throw their Sten gun in a room and let it go off and spray the room... Guess it didn't take much to have a runaway gun with it.

Pete031 said:
Some Veterans were telling me that sometimes they would just throw their Sten gun in a room and let it go off and spray the room... Guess it didn't take much to have a runaway gun with it.
The Sten and its sucessor Sterling have a bad reputation of firing when you don't want it to, and not firing when one wants it to.

Gimme the bushmaster carbon 15 type 97 anyday for front line infantry with 2 guys per squad as DM's with Scoped FAL's.

What a nice rifle. Only weighs like 4 lbs! nice!

M70AB2.....................i think iv said this so many times that my post will be just....well....overseen ;)

Ah yes, the BREN got it's name from the Chechs and Enfield. I was as I said, going from memory and not searching the web for stats, thus my request that somebody give more details.

Vitaly said:
A definition of Assault Rifle is easily seen in the German Language. It isn't the MachineGewehr or the MachinePistole or the Gewehr it is the SturmGewehr. Meaning that it isn't a machine gun or a machine pistol or a main battle rifle (which the 1903 is). It is an intermidiate and seperate entity from the two other weapons than it was designed from (SMG + Main Battle Rifle), meant to take on the best of both. Hitler himself coined the term SturmGewehr (Assault Rifle) when he was presented the first true Assault rifle the Stg44.

Plus how can the SAW be an assault rifle when it is called the Squad Automatic Weapon

Ps. Don't look to much into dictionary.com for military definitions.

You mean the MP-43. The STG-44 didn't come out until 1944. There are three models MP-43, MP-44 and STG-44. The name differences are due to factories, modifications and dates made.

KC72......It's a television programme, life was hard as a National Serviceman but I found it fair. The thing that strikes me the poor lads throw a wobbly and the NCO sits down and talks to them, in those days it would be straight in cells. If you were given time in the Cells you did not get paid for that time, and the length of time you spent in the cells was added to your service as you were not soldiering. If you were an idiot you could spend a very long time doing your two years. Also it should be remembered that as a National Serviceman you got about half the pay as a Regular Soldier yet often you were in the fore front of any attack that went in. To say we were p*ssed off would be an understatement, still I can't say that I did not have fun I did and 50 years on I am still in touch some of the 100 men from my old Company and we meet most years for a function and our last one was on the 6 th June.

Back