Assault Rifle

RnderSafe said:
rOk said:
I'll take that nasty looking OICW, thank you very much. :D

Since it was a decidedly POS, you may be able to get free left overs. :lol:

Pardon my ignorance...but what is POS.
I know OICW was scrapped...the post was a joke.

"A definition of Assault Rifle is easily seen in the German Language."

And that Sturmgewehr term was originally invented by Hitler himself.

I personally prefer Rynnäkkökivääri RK95.

And few words about terminology:
Rynnäkkö = Assault/Sturm
Kivääri = Rifle/Gewehr
RK = Stg

That's why I like the FN SCAR the proposed SF weapon. Unlike the Xm-8 which is able to be modified from carbine to DMR and LMG, the SCAR is able to be modified to different calibers like the 5.56, 7.62 x 51, and 7.62 x 39. I think it is a very good idea.

The Scar does sound interesting....

I like the XM8 a lot too....

But all in all, give me a good old M16A3. Once again, depends on the mission....

If I was in Afghanistan or Iraq, I would much rather have a M14 or FN FAL.

RnderSafe said:
C/Cpl. Chirico said:
5.56, or will the brass wisen up and switch to 6.5 or 6.8?

What is wise about using rounds you cannot easily acquire when supply runs low or that leaves an unmistakable calling card? Just because it looks good on paper, and fairs pretty well in testing, does not mean it is practical, logical or safe in reality.

You have a point there, my friend.

And what exactly is the SCAR, I can't find jack about it.

Give me a good ol' M16A1 or A2. Not only as RndrSafe pointed out, rounds for it are quite plentiful, but I know the darn thing's parts so well after so many years with it that I could pretty much disassemble and clean it in complete darkness and reassemble it and fire.

Charge_7 said:
Give me a good ol' M16A1 or A2. Not only as RndrSafe pointed out, rounds for it are quite plentiful, but I know the darn thing's parts so well after so many years with it that I could pretty much disassemble and clean it in complete darkness and reassemble it and fire.

Btw. What is the required time to be able to disassemble and reassemble M16?

EuroSpike said:
Charge_7 said:

Btw. What is the required time to be able to disassemble and reassemble M16?
One should re-assemble an assault rifle in 15-20 seconds. I suppose that would be the time for the M16 too.

Pete031 said:
It depends if you are doing a Field strip or a detailed strip...
A detailed strip is only done in the unit workshop. So I suppose he would be asking about the field strip.

Field stripping or assembling takes a matter of seconds with the M16 or any of its variants... Including the function test on assembly

Pete031 said:
It depends if you are doing a Field strip or a detailed strip...

I mean the field strip or what do you call that normal disassembly where the main parts are taken out for cleaning.

We had requirements for assault rifle to do both (first disassemble and then reassemble) in 20 seconds. Needed several times to try before passed and a lot of practise. Disassemble is easy to make in a couple of seconds but the most of the given 20s was spent on reassembling.

Back