Assault Guns (Vehicles)

I3BrigPvSk

The Viking
The Germans developed a lot of different kinds of assault guns, the Stug, different versions of the jagd vehicles. the Russians had assault guns as well, but did the West Allies have any? The only vehicle I can think of that reminds of an assault gun is the Priest, but that one was more of a mobile artillery vehicle, wasn't it? The West Allies had different kind of tank destroyers, but they were different from the vehicles with more or less a solid fitted main gun on the vehicle

US and UK forces also deployed vehicles designed for a close support role, but these were conventional tanks whose only significant modification was the replacement of the main gun with a howitzer. Two versions of the American Sherman tank were armed with the M4 105 mm howitzer, the M4(105) and the M4A3(105); these were designated assault guns in US usage of the term. The M8 Scott, based on the chassis of the M5 Stuart light tank, was also an assault cannon and carried a 75 mm short howitzer. The Churchill, Centaur and Cromwell tanks were all produced in versions armed with 95 mm howitzers: the Churchill Mark V and Mark VIII, the Centaur Mark IV and the Cromwell Mark VI. Earlier British tanks, such as the Crusader cruiser tank and the Matilda II Infantry tank were produced in versions armed with the 3-inch howitzer; the first versions of the Churchill tank also had this gun in a hull mounting. American tank destroyer units were often used in the assault gun role for infantry support.

The AVRE version of the Churchill Tank was armed with a Spigot mortar that fired a 40 lb (18 kg) HE-filled projectile (nicknamed the Flying Dustbin) 150 yards (140 m). Its task was to attack fortified positions such as bunkers at close range (see Hobart's Funnies).

Others include:-

Self Propelled 17-pdr, Valentine, Mk.I, Archer
3in SP. M10 - Gun Motor Carriage M10, provided under Lend-Lease from America.
17pdr SP M10C - M10 rearmed with 17-pdr gun
AEC Mk I Gun Carrier "Deacon"
Carrier, Valentine, 25-pdr gun, Mk.I, Bishop
25-pdr SP, tracked, Sexton
SP 17-pdr, A30 (Avenger) - Order not fulfilled until post-war.
105 mm SP, Priest - 105 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M7, provided under Lend-Lease from America.
M3(T12) 75 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage - Provided under Lend-Lease from America. In British service designated "75 mm SP, Autocar".
T48 57 mm Gun Motor Carriage - 680 provided by Lend-Lease from America. Many had gun removed to convert them back to Armoured Personnel Carriers.
Multiple Gun Motor Carriage M14 - Provided by Lend-Lease from America. Many had guns removed to convert them back to armoured personnel carriers.

Last edited:
Probably the closest thing the West had was the American T-28 Super heavy tank but it was produced far too late to have been useful.

Back