asian destroyers ranking

CSmaster

Banned
Kanwa's July version :

in Ageis class destroyer ranking

Kanwa gives China's 171 ageis the top despite the fact taht Japanese and Korean ones are bigger and a bit more sophisiticated, the reason Kanwa gives is taht China's 171 is created independently , especially on the radar part, it is a cutting-edge page for Chinese navy

in 5500-6000 ton destroys, Kanwa gives Korean KDX2 DDG the top, China's 168 the second, and Indian Deli the third

in stealth design Korean ship got the top, China got second and Deli the third

in anti-ship power, 3 ships tied
in anti-submarine capablity Deli ranks the top and 168 and KDX tied in second

in engineering standard 168 and KDX got top together while Deli ranked below them

Hi,

It's about Asian Destroyers so i will fill in with Some Indian Destroyers as well .... :D

Delhi CLass Destroyers

Delhi12.jpg

Delhi4.jpg

Displacement: 6700 - 6900 tons full load.

Dimensions: Length - 163 metres.......The vessels are powered by two Ukrainian Zorya Production Association M36E (E for Export) gas turbine plants that produce over 64,000 hp

Maximum Speed: 32+ knots.

Weapons: Sixteen 3M-24E (Kh-35 Uran or NATO: SS-N-25 Switchblade) AShMs, housed in four quadruple KT-184 launchers, angled at 30º, two on either side of the bridge superstructure. Equivalent to the Harpoon Block 1C AShM, these missiles have active radar homing (ARH) out to a range of 130 km at 0.9 Mach, with a 145 kg warhead. All 16 missiles can be ripple-fired in 2-3 second intervals. The Delhi Class will be retrofitted with the GLONASS-steered, land-attack 3M24E1 Uranium AShM at a later date. The 3M24E1 AShM - export variant of the 3M24M1 - has more fuel, which extends range to 250 km.

Fire control for the missiles, is provided by a Garpun-Bal FC (NATO: Plank Shave) radar, mounted atop the bridge. This radar combines active and passive channels and in the active target designation mode, it operates in X-band (I/J-band) and can handle up to 150 targets at ranges between 35 - 45 km, although it is possible to obtain ranges of more than 180 km in wave-guide propagation conditions. The passive channel operates in the ESM mode searching for pulse and CW signals, and accurately identifying the bearing of hostile emitters from a built-in classification library of up to 1000 signatures. The maximum range of the passive channel is over 100 km depending on the frequency.

In the air defence role, a pair of 3S-90 launchers - one installed forward of the bridge and the other atop the dual helicopter hangar - are fitted with the Shtil SAM system. The Shtil system comprises of the 9M38M1 (SA-N-7, navalised SA-11) missile and 24 such missiles are carried in a below-decks magazine. The launchers elevate up to 70º but have a limited firing arc of 30º within the centreline. The launcher groups require a crew of 20 men and weigh about 50 tons. Target tracking data is provided by the MR-775 Fregat MAE planar array radar which can engage up to 12 targets at ranges of 32 km. Target illumination and semi-active homing is provided via six MR-90 Orekh (NATO: Front Dome) illuminators, four mounted forward and two aft.

The 9M38M1 SAM, designated as Kashmir by the Indian Navy, is armed with a 70 kg high-explosive warhead, has a maximum speed of Mach 3 (830 m/s) and can manoeuvre up to 20 g. The missile can handle target aircrafts traveling at 420 to 830 m/s and incoming missiles moving at 330 to 830 m/s. The reaction time is 16 to 19 seconds and the advertised kill percentage is 81 to 96% for a two-missile salvo. Ranges against aircraft are 3 km to 32 km with altitudes from 15 metres to 15 km. Ranges against incoming missiles are 3.5 km to 12 km with altitudes from 10 metres to 10 km. The missile probably has a secondary anti-ship capability.

INS Delhi has been fitted with the Barak SAM system and it appears that the pair of MR-123-02 (NATO: Bass Tilt) directors have been replaced by two EL/M-2221 directors, in addition to deckhouse modifications. It is unclear if the 30mm AK-630 Gatling guns aboard INS Delhi have been removed to place two revolver launchers for the Barak SAM system or if the Barak's VLS tubes are beside the mast.

One 100mm AK-100 single-barrelled, water-cooled gun, for use against ship and shore targets. The AK-100 can engage aerial and surface targets at a rate of fire of 30 to 50 rds/min and the turret can traverse through an arc of 220º. Fire control for the gun is provided by the T91E radar, a part of the MR-145 or MR-184 (NATO: Kite Screech) fire control radar system along with a turret mounted Kondensor optical sight. Each shell weighs 16 kg.

Four multi-barrelled 30mm AK-630 Gatling guns, two on either beam, to shoot down incoming anti-ship missiles, at 3000 rounds per minute to 2.5 km. Fire control is provided by two MR-123-02 (NATO: Bass Tilt) directors at the H/I/J-band frequency incorporating EO sensors (including laser rangefinder attachments) along with a manual backup sight for each pair of guns. Each gun can throw up a defensive wall of lead at 5500 to 6000 rounds per minute out to about 2.5 to 5 km. Unlike Western CIWS like Phalanx or Goalkeeper, this is not a closed loop system.

Five 533mm PTA 533 quintuple torpedo tube launchers are fitted amidships. The launchers are of modular construction and can fire different types of heavyweight torpedoes such as wire guided or wake homing types. The Delhi Class destroyers are armed with the SET-65E; anti-submarine, active & passive homing torpedo to 8.1n miles; 15 km at 40 knots with a 205 kg warhead and the Type 53-65; passive wake homing torpedo to 10.3n miles; 19 km at 45 knots with a 305 kg warhead.

Anti-submarine armament comprises of two 12 barrelled RBU-6000 AS rocket launchers mounted in front of the bridge. These weapons are controlled by the Purga ASW fire control system. The RBU-6000 fires RGB-60 depth charge rockets to engage submarines at depths of 500 metres at a maximum range of 6000 metres The system may carry up to 192 rockets, each with a 31 kg warhead. It is likely that the new RE-91 ASW rockets could be retrofitted to these vessels in due course. They use the same RBU launcher complex.

The vessels reportedly have the capability to fire the SS-N-15 or the SS-N-16 AShM. The former can be fired from 533mm torpedo tubes, while the latter needs a 650mm torpedo tube due to its large size. It is not known if these vessels are fitted with 650mm torpedo tubes.
Source : Bharat-Rakshak

RAJPUT {KASHIN II} CLASS

Kashin15.jpg

Kashin9.jpg

Displacement: 3950 tons standard......4974 tons full load.
Dimensions: Length - 147 metres.

Maximum Speed: 35 knots.

Weapons: Four P-20M (SS-N-2D) AShMs, in single-tube launchers, with infra-red (Mod 2) homing to 45n miles; 83 km at 0.9 Mach. Becomes a sea skimmer at the end of run. Has a 513 kg warhead. INS Rajput is currently serving as a trial platform for the PJ-10 (BrahMos) ASCM. The missile, which can be fitted with a conventional or nuclear payload of 200 kg, has a range of ~300 km at 14,000 metres or 120 km, at 10-15 metres. The missile is believed to have a first stage solid-fuelled booster and a second stage liquid-fuelled ramjet.

A pair of twin launchers is fitted with the S-125M (SA-N-1) SAM. This surface-to-air missile has a range of 17n miles; 31.5 km at Mach 2+. The missile has a 60 kg warhead weight and has a maximum altitude of 75,000 ft. The missiles, total of 44 on-board, have some surface-to-surface capability. D55 and/or D54 has been fitted with the Barak SAM system, which includes a pair of EL/M-2221 fire control radars.

One twin 76mm gun with 80º elevation and 90 rds/min to 8n miles; 15km. The first 3 vessels have eight AK-230 30mm (4 twin) guns with 85º elevation and 500 rds/min to 2.7n miles; 5 km, while the last two vessels have four 30mm ADGM-630 30mm guns with 85º elevation and 3000 rds/min to 2 km.

One 533mm PTA 533 quintuple torpedo tube launcher is fitted amidship. Armed with the SET-65E; anti-submarine, active & passive homing torpedo to 8.1n miles; 15 km at 40 knots with a 205 kg warhead and the Type 53-65; passive wake homing torpedo to 10.3n miles; 19 km at 45 knots with a 305 kg warhead.

Two RBU-6000 mortars with 12 tubes and a range of 6000 meters. The maximum target submarine engagement depth is 500 meters. Has a 31 kg warhead.

Helicopter Capacity: Has one helicopter pad in the aft of the vessel which carries the Ka-28 Helix-A. Can also carry the HAL Chetak.

Countermeasures: INS Rajput has an EW (Electronic Warfare) suite which comprises a Bharat Ajanta ESM system. Reportedly the other vessels in the class will have their Russian-designed ESM systems replaced with the Ajanta ESM system. Four barrelled chaff launchers are used as radar decoys.

Source : Bharat-Rakshak

TALWAR {KRIVAK III} CLASS

Talwar21.jpg

Talwar19.jpg

Displacement: 3620 tons - standard..............4035 tons - full load.
Dimensions: Length - 124.8 metres.

Weapons: In the main strike role, an eight-cell KBSM 3S14E vertical missile launcher is fitted, which accommodates the Klub-N ASCM. The Agat Research and Production Enterprise has supplied the 3R14N-11356 shipborne fire-control system associated with Klub-N. Jane's Defence Weekly reported in April 2004, that IN sources indicated that INS Tabar would be the first vessel in the Talwar series to be armed with the supersonic BrahMos (PJ-10) ASCM, which DRDO of India and NPO Mashinostroyeniya of Russia, have co-developed. The other two vessels (Talwar and Trishul) will also subsequently be equipped with the BrahMos ASCM.

In the air defence role, a single 3S-90 missile launcher is fitted forward of the bridge and is armed with the Shtil-1 SAM system. The system comprises of the 9M317 (SA-N-11, navalised SA-17) missile and 24 such missiles are carried in a below-decks magazine. Guidance and target illumination for these missiles is provided by four MR-90 Orekh (NATO: Front Dome) radars, which are connected to a command and control post.

Manufactured by the Dolgoprudny Research and Production Enterprise, the 9M317 missile uses a combination of inertial guidance and semi-active radar homing (the 70 kg blast fragmentation warhead is triggered by a radar proximity fuze) to its maximum range of 45 km. The missile can engage the following targets irrespective of the intensive jamming and minimal altitude; tactical ballistic missiles; aircraft manoeuvring at acceleration up to 12 g; cruise and antiradar missiles; helicopter gun ships; remotely piloted aircraft; anti-ship missiles; and radar-contrast water-borne and ground targets. The missile's control system and warhead can be adjusted to a specific target (ballistic, aerodynamic, small-size, water-borne, ground, helicopter) following target recognition, which increases hit probability. Eight Igla-1E (SA-16) portable air defence missiles are also carried.

One 100mm A-190(E) gun, for use against ship and shore based targets, is fitted forward. The A-190(E) uses a lightweight gun mount with an automatic gun and fuze setter. The mounting is fed from separate port and starboard magazines and uses three different rounds: a high-explosive shell with an impact fuze; an anti-aircraft shell using an electronic fuze; and an inert practice round. An automatic control and monitoring system prepares the gun for firing, selects the appropriate ammunition, conducts continuous diagnostics and computes firing corrections. Fire control is provided by the 5P-10E Puma FCS. The gun can fire 60 rounds a minute out to a range of 8.2n miles; 15 km. Weight of each shell is at 16 kg.

The A-190(E) gun is based on innovative technological and layout solutions, which features relatively low weight-size characteristics. The gun leads to a more than three-fold increase in the combat effectiveness of surface combatants, as compared to those fitted with the AK-176M (fitted in the Khukri Class), owing to: increase in the range of fire (roughly twofold); 1.8 times growth in the lethality of projectiles at a target; doubled accuracy of fire; and reduced reaction time as a result of automated operations, such as preparation of the gun for firing, selection of ammunition, monitoring of mechanisms' operation during firing, and display of data on the operator's monitor.

The A-190(E) gun is also superior to the AK-100 gun (fitted in the Delhi Class) in terms of basic performance characteristics: the rate of fire (approximately 1.5 times); accuracy (about three times); weight; dimensions; and operating characteristics. The gun also features higher automation of fire preparation and control and employs advanced guided and rocket-assisted long-range and enhanced-lethality projectiles fitted with dual-mode impact / proximity fuses set to operate over the target area. Together with the use of the muzzle velocity meter, it is designed to produce ever increased combat capability of the system in fire against sea- and shore-based point and area targets. In addition, the gun hull features stealth technology to minimize the radar signature of a ship.

For the CIWS (Close In Weapon System) role, two Kashtan Air Defence Gun/Missile Systems are used.

Features the RPK-8 system, which uses a 12 barrelled RBU-6000 ASW launcher to fire the 212mm 90R anti-submarine missile or RGB-60 depth charges. The firing range is from 600 to 4300 metres, and the depth of engagement is up to 1000 metres. Two twin 533mm DTA-53-11356 fixed torpedo tube launchers are fitted amidships and fire the SET-65E/53-65KE torpedoes. The Purga anti-submarine fire-control system - a product of the Granit Central Scientific Institute - provides control for both the RBU-6000 and DTA-53 launchers.

Source: Bharat-rakshak

Project 15A

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Images/P15a.jpg

Peace
-=SF-13=-

What I wish I could show you about the Chinese navy is the complete and utter lack of preventative maintenance folks. I had my camera confiscated a year ago after taking pictures near Lushun. They were PAINTING over the rust without abating it. Below the waterline on the destroyer and cruiser I saw was like a 1970's Datsun pickup truck. Simply unbelievable.

bulldogg said:
What I wish I could show you about the Chinese navy is the complete and utter lack of preventative maintenance folks. I had my camera confiscated a year ago after taking pictures near Lushun. They were PAINTING over the rust without abating it. Below the waterline on the destroyer and cruiser I saw was like a 1970's Datsun pickup truck. Simply unbelievable.

:lol:

yeah it may look a different then on the pictures.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!! Dude, they were serious PAINTING over the rust!?!?!?!?!?

That's fantastic. Hah! At least they LOOK the part.

Rich.

Dead serious. Where I am now they have a brown water navy that is absolutely combat ineffective. But their land forces contigent is more than capable. Their is a "sewer drain" that runs the entire length and breadth of the city hat has various strategic points where it comes above ground. It is large enough to drive three MBT's side by side through and it is always bone dry. 8)
I really have no idea what that is about... :roll:

Kanwa defence is the professiona source, and i bet if u r the reliable source, why dont u go publish some thing in a magazine

good ships won't let ppl let u see, young man

and i have to agree most of ships PLA have are pretty outdated,

but new ships like 168,169,170.171 are not wut India can have

like 170 Aegis

the pictuers in kanwa shows India's Deli class's standard of engineering is not that good "the engineering standar of the hull and the russian-style 100mm gun is much inferior to the CHinese and Korean vessels. COmpare it with the PLA Navy's N.170 or 168

They all look fairly cluttered...easy targets for an AN-SPY1A to pick up...makes them rather easy to hit. The one that isn't cluttered, the 3000-ton frigate, is too small and lightly armed to be much use against anything that isn't its size or smaller.

Do you know if these are designed as surface combatants or anti-air warfare ships? And how's their radar compare to the Aegis SPY?

CSmaster said:
can anyone tell me a good site taht can post large pictures

i got some scannings from the magazine

Umm I think you have the Pictures in .BMP Format ........ you should Convert then to .JPG or .GIF format makes them very small.

here are two sites which Provide Free Hosting.

http://www.imageshack.us/
maximum image size: 1024 kilobytes

http://photobucket.com
maximum image size: 1024 kilobytes

IF your Picture is Bigger than their max Size it's not worth Posting anyway .... it will takes ages for it to load.

Peace
-=SF-13=-

c/Commander said:
They all look fairly cluttered...easy targets for an AN-SPY1A to pick up...makes them rather easy to hit. The one that isn't cluttered, the 3000-ton frigate, is too small and lightly armed to be much use against anything that isn't its size or smaller.

Do you know if these are designed as surface combatants or anti-air warfare ships? And how's their radar compare to the Aegis SPY?

052C is for air-defence, with super strong radar and HQ-7 or (s-300 on the sea missile), about it is 7000-8000 destroyer, CHina's first one, its radar system is pretty cutting-edge for china

052B ,168 is like 6000-7000 ton destroy, for anti-ship purpose, it is no different with 956E DDG, but more stealth in its design

CSmaster said:
Kanwa defence is the professiona source, and i bet if u r the reliable source, why dont u go publish some thing in a magazine

good ships won't let ppl let u see, young man

and i have to agree most of ships PLA have are pretty outdated,

but new ships like 168,169,170.171 are not what India can have

like 170 Aegis

the pictuers in kanwa shows India's Deli class's standard of engineering is not that good "the engineering standar of the hull and the russian-style 100mm gun is much inferior to the CHinese and Korean vessels. COmpare it with the PLA Navy's N.170 or 168
Sorry if you don't like what I posted but if you care to come visit me I can arrange a tour that will show you what the Chinese do not want the outside world to see. As for my age, be careful of your assumptions, they tend to have a way of biting someone in their fourth point of contact. :lol:

bulldogg said:
Sorry if you don't like what I posted but if you care to come visit me I can arrange a tour that will show you what the Chinese do not want the outside world to see.

unless you have something solid to back up what you said, pictures perhaps, then making promises that no one is likely to hold you up to is hardly impressive as far as your convincing goes

i can just as easily swear that i saw kdx ii being made out of card board, and promise that if you come to south korea right now and somehow find me i'll show you

It is not intended as an empty invitation. Last year a couple people took me up on it, we went and saw the aging destroyer fleet of the dongbei (NE), the jump-jet carrier purchased from Russia three years ago which hasn't left port in Dalian as it rusts into oblivion, then down to Shantou (closest airbase to Taiwan) where the entire strike force is viewable, all 24 Mig-21's. And not to forget the camouflage "fuel tank" with over three dozen microwave, UHF and VHF antennas sticking out of it. As for backing it up with visual aids, like I said the camera got confiscated and I learn from my mistakes. If you don't want to believe me sobeit, but thems the facts and you're not so far off if ya wanna swing by for a visit. Door's always open.

bulldogg said:
It is not intended as an empty invitation. Last year a couple people took me up on it, we went and saw the aging destroyer fleet of the dongbei (NE), the jump-jet carrier purchased from Russia three years ago which hasn't left port in Dalian as it rusts into oblivion, then down to Shantou (closest airbase to Taiwan) where the entire strike force is viewable, all 24 Mig-21's. And not to forget the camouflage "fuel tank" with over three dozen microwave, UHF and VHF antennas sticking out of it. As for backing it up with visual aids, like I said the camera got confiscated and I learn from my mistakes. If you don't want to believe me sobeit, but thems the facts and you're not so far off if ya wanna swing by for a visit. Door's always open.

i've seen the chinese fleets back in 04, i appreciate your offer

you mentioned the carrier, im not sure which one. should be the Varyag right? it's not apart of the navy or even the chinese military. it's under private ownership and it was purchased for scrap so i would imagine it wouldnt be very well kept

and no, Shantou airforce base is not the closest airforce base to Taiwan

Fujian province is the closest to Taiwan, Shantou is in Guangdong province

bulldogg said:

Shandong is closest to Taiwan?

lol....go read the map before u talk

and back up ur "theory" with professional source and pictures

C'mon CS, read. :roll:

Ok, Queens Ranger (BTW, per your moniker, are you pro-british or just anti-american? ;) )
Might be wrong about the Taiwan proximity issue. If you look on a flat map it appears Fujian province is closest but on the globe I am looking at it appears that Shantou is closer.

As for the AirForce base, what people who have not been to China may not realize is that every airport is a PLA Air Force base and then they also have some that are only Air Force. I found this out during my first trip south, it was a VERY unnerving feeling looking out my window watching a MIG roll up on a parallel runway and take off just ahead of us. :shock:

It is the Varyag in Dalian but reading the following reports here though dated are still relevant as it is slated to possibly be completed and put into use by the PLA Navy.

http://www.strategycenter.net/research/pubID.12/pub_detail.asp

http://english.people.com.cn/200212/06/eng20021206_108061.shtml

http://www.varyagworld.com/

en.....

so the ship you saw was Varyag ??

oh come on man, anyone who knows something about chinese military can see taht China's primary navy direction is to focus on submarine and medium size blue water navy ships like destroyers,

but still , i have to agree with you

except those 400 some 3rd generation figher-bombers, china's airfoce is still very outdated

so is the navy, mostly 80s' ships,

The two ships I saw in dry dock were not the Varyag which is in Dalian harbor proper. These were in Lushun. A friend there of Indian decent has a factory in the area which was grandfathered in and remained when the PLA militarised the area. They produce hydraulic pumps and he invited me out to have a look see and the subsequent butt chewing for bringing a camera. :roll: One was a destroyer and the other was on the order of a cruiser though I am not a Navy man and it may have just been a very large destroyer but they were definite "rust buckets". Made me miss my old DatsunB210. :lol:

Back