Artillery

I3BrigPvSk

The Viking
I have been thinking about howitzers. Sweden has the "new" archer howitzer. It seems to be a decent howitzer and it can fire and regroup pretty fast. But, I have a problem with it. The Archer has wheels and not tracks and I am thinking it might be too dependent on roads. The Swedes want to sell it to other countries armed forces, but will it work in a desert when it is more dependent on roads? The northern part of Sweden gets a lot of snow and have quite few roads. Northern Sweden also have a lot of swamps and that can be a problem as well.

Is it better to have a howitzer on tracks instead of wheels? Yes, the wheel based vehicle can move much faster than a tracked vehicle, but the tracked vehicle can negotiate the terrain better than the one with wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8x8ITwd4Vg

I have been thinking about howitzers. Sweden has the "new" archer howitzer. It seems to be a decent howitzer and it can fire and regroup pretty fast. But, I have a problem with it. The Archer has wheels and not tracks and I am thinking it might be too dependent on roads. The Swedes want to sell it to other countries armed forces, but will it work in a desert when it is more dependent on roads? The northern part of Sweden gets a lot of snow and have quite few roads. Northern Sweden also have a lot of swamps and that can be a problem as well.

Is it better to have a howitzer on tracks instead of wheels? Yes, the wheel based vehicle can move much faster than a tracked vehicle, but the tracked vehicle can negotiate the terrain better than the one with wheels.

In terms of maintenance wheeled vehicles are far easier to maintain and are much easier on crews than tracks as for its ability off road I am not sure it matters given that it has a range of 10-60km depending on the ordinance being used.

On the whole I like it especially it's rate of fire.

This is similar to the South African G5 and G6 155mm. I knew a chap who drove one during his national service, he said it was a good bit of kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_9fl7QWGQw&t=121s

Last edited:
That looks like a decent howitzer, Brit. It is good we are giving the artillery better howitzers so they can hit what they aren't supposed to hit with a greater efficiency. (joking)

That looks like a decent howitzer, Brit. It is good we are giving the artillery better howitzers so they can hit what they aren't supposed to hit with a greater efficiency. (joking)

We called them long range snipers:mrgreen:

I could never join the Artillery, they'd keep waking me up while I was having a little snooze in the back of the gun tractor.:sleep:

We called them long range snipers:mrgreen:

I could never join the Artillery, they'd keep waking me up while I was having a little snooze in the back of the gun tractor.:sleep:

I was on an exercise with the artillery and the artillery group counted wrong so the salvo of five 155mm shells hit too close to us. I don't trust the artillery boys since that day

I was on an exercise with the artillery and the artillery group counted wrong so the salvo of five 155mm shells hit too close to us. I don't trust the artillery boys since that day

I think I'd need a change of underwear.

Thankfully I've never been on an exercise with live fire 105 or 155, I did however bring up ammunition for them on my section of trucks. Thats as close as I've got to big guns.

Back