Artillery: The King of Battle... :)

Redleg

The fire is everything
Staff member
Back again... :m16:

Had two good weeks at Hjerkinn Artillery range here in Norway.
It's over 1000m up in the mountains, so we had some snow, but other than that the weather was ok...

Check out the "military related discussions" to find some more info and pictures about what I have done now..

Hey Redleg,

From one artillery man to another, I am curious as to what all your artillery experience is. Do you have one post that has it all or is it scattered thru out the forum? Thanks

SSG Doody

Being as the Infantry is the " Queen of the battle " and I know they always try to talk crap about you artillary guys I have to say artillery and air support are the only people we really have that we can count on when it gets real out there. When the Infantry guys give you crap SSG Doody just remind them who has their backs.

My experience is much narrower than yours is since I am still on the enlisted side of things. All of my artillery experience has been as a forward observer calling in the artillery for the infantry. I have grown to love being an FO because the job is so simple yet so important. In an infantry platoon, I normally tag along with the Lt. A good FO lets the Lt know from time to time that mortars/ARTY are ALWAYS available. Sometimes the Lt will forget about indirect fires.

Being at Ft. Campbell, I got to do some good training. During an air assault operation, I was hooked into the UH-60's com system and I called in simulated fire missions on possible AAA sites. We did not kill anything but we did suppress one site and kept it from firing on us.

A lot of my time was spent on the OP (observation Post) and calling in rounds into the impact range. I have had the luxury of having 2 rounds come with in 100 meters of my OP because someone on the firing line put in the wrong charge. The rest of the time was spent pounding and sucking with the infantry. Once promoted to Sergeant, I found the infantry treat ya a whole lot better.

As for schools, I've been to the Close Air Support School in Ft. Lenardwood and played with a few A-10's. We had some Marines teach us naval gunfire at Ft. Campbell, but we never got to do it for real. I have been to NTC once and JRTC 2 times. The life fires there were pretty damn good. Never again in my military career will I control 60 mm and 80mm mortars, 105mm and 155mm ARTY, A-10's and Apaches with in a time frame of a few hours.

I've been to the Battalion and Brigade levels of fire support and completely hated life. Doing radio watch/battle tracking for 16+ hours a day is not what I was meant to do. I am definitely a line soldier.

That rounds up my ARTY experience. I went to Kosovo as a FO but only called in a few illumination rounds. Those coordinates were already pre planned so there was no work on my part.

------------------------------------------------------------------

sgtbreeden

The only way the INF ever really respect the artillery is when the see the destruction first hand. My buddies who were in Iraq told me the INF loved having the FO's around. In some future conflict, I'll be sure to enstill some respect by giving the enemy some death and destruction from above. I'll leave you with a quote from Patton.

"Our mortars and artillery are superb weapons when they are firing. When they are silent, they are junk---see that they fire!"

SSG Doody

Nice quote... :lol:

FO is a pretty interesting job, know a bit about that myself. :)

I remember that my Dad was not thrilled with the career oportunity for being FO in Nam. Course, back then FO's were in pretty scary circumstances. The job has improved greatly, even in wartime. :)

Redleg, if I may, what is your favorite aspect of being in the Artillery and your favorite job?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Being an FO in Vietnam was no joke. The NVA and VC had a way of picking off anyone with a radio. With that lesson in mind, I keep my antenna pointed down so I am less of a target when I am training in the woods.

My favorite must be my time as a Platoon commander for the Recce/Survey Platoon..

(almost) Total freedom, no one else had a clue about what we were doing, left us alone as long as the job was done when the batteries arrived in the new firing positions... :)

Back