Article one

chewie_nz

Banned
this is a letter that was written in the Otago university magaizine i read each week;

http://clients.straylight-studios.com/critic/view_article.php?issue=Critic_6&article=article30

A bad speech does not a tyrant make
by Sam Grover

The other day, as I was walking home from an enthralling Archaeology lecture, I had the incredible misfortune to see 17 signs protesting “Bush’s War in Iraq,” 16 of which I tore down in a self-righteous rage. Don’t get me wrong, I’m as anti-war as the next guy, but it just seems like the hatred for President George W. Bush in and around Otago University, and Dunedin in general, is, to put it bluntly, really ****ing stupid.

If you were to ask someone you see on the street what your opinions on One President Bush are, he or she would invariably reply in an incredibly negative fashion and possibly compare him to someone in the same vein as Stalin, or even Hitler! This is heavy stuff, as I’m sure you can well see, so surely there is some kind of justification for this slander! Well, sort of.

“He made the Patriot Act!” (Wrong, the majority of Congress passed the Patriot Act.)

“He stole the election!” (Debatable, but he won the next one, so even if he did cheat he’s batting .500, which could be worse.)

“He started the war in Iraq!” (Yeah, probably not an amazing move on his part, but definitely not a unique one.)

However, the core issue for all the Bush haters is that he can’t make a good speech. Some even go as far as to say that “He’s stupid”, as a couple of pictures floating around the Internet of him doing things like looking the wrong way through a pair of binoculars clearly prove. It really is saddening to see that there are so many people around Otago University who are that shallow, not to mention easily influenced. He can’t make a good speech, huh? Who :cen: cares? How relevant is the fact that he is not an amazingly charismatic public speaker, day in and day out? The fact is, if you really analysed it, (not that any of you philistines ever will, of course) I’m sure you’d realise that all those examples that you see on TV and in Michael Moore’s stunningly well-balanced films ad nauseum probably represent something around 2 percent of President Bush’s speeches. Give the poor man a break.

How’d you feel about the last President the United States had? Ah, Billy. That lovable rogue, what were we going to do with him? He couldn’t keep his :cen: in his pants to save his life, he happily passed gun control laws that trampled on US citizens’ second amendment rights, (What, you don’t like George for stepping on the first, but Slick Willy can literally piss on the second with impunity? Picking and choosing isn’t allowed in this game, pal) and he started a damn war. Have you people forgotten Kosovo? Are you people so incredibly thick that you don’t have the hindsight of a few short years? I’m sure the Albanians remember it vividly, but you certainly don’t. The man made damned good speeches, after all.

Or the late Mr Reagan! Oh, how you loved him, with the same roguish charm as Mr Clinton, but with the added “grumpy old man” factor! As with Mr Clinton, you love to gloss over all those yucky little details of his presidency, such as the fact that his brain was literally melting a little more every day, but boy oh boy, did he gave some good one-liners or what?

The only president that you people happily hate with nearly the same amount of vehemence as the current one is Daddy Bush himself, which is equally stupid if not stupider. Can any of you honestly say that you gave him a second thought before his son succeeded him? I thought not.

I’m not championing for President Bush in any way, so please don’t misinterpret me. I merely want to point out that there is absolutely no reason why you should hate him more than any of the other presidents that the US has put in power of the past couple decades. The fact is, the position sucks and sucky people get it. Presidents will always cut corners, they’ll always pass laws you don’t like, and they will always, always start wars. It just comes with the territory.

Don’t hate the player, man. Hate the game.

your comments?

A small one!

I find democracy is something not good for the people. I am not talking about having a dictatorship that will kill anyone for looking the wrong way but law and order.

If we had one ruler protests would be gone and you wouldn't have pull down signs complaining about the leadership.
No huge group of protesters that block the roads shouting we want drugs free etc,etc.
No TV debates on who did what and when before an election.
No human right acts for criminals, dang they get better treatment in some countrys then the older population or school kids.
Criminals would be put away and no silk gloves treatment for them.

I see the problem in USA and Europe. Elections everywhere and no good is coming out from them!

Dark Ventrue said:
A small one!

I find democracy is something not good for the people. I am not talking about having a dictatorship that will kill anyone for looking the wrong way but law and order.

If we had one ruler protests would be gone and you wouldn't have pull down signs complaining about the leadership.
No huge group of protesters that block the roads shouting we want drugs free etc,etc.
No TV debates on who did what and when before an election.
No human right acts for criminals, dang they get better treatment in some countrys then the older population or school kids.
Criminals would be put away and no silk gloves treatment for them.

I see the problem in USA and Europe. Elections everywhere and no good is coming out from them!

:?: :roll: :?: ====== :shock: :shock: :shock:

That man is certainly filled with hatred. He managed to slam all of OUR presidents in the last 20 yrs. . I am baffled as to why this bothers him so? Isn't there anything else going on in New Zealand for him to worry about? Is it that NZ politics are so perfect that he's bored with it all? Just too much hatred for my taste. He is playing the very hate game he talks about.
Forgive my ingorance but who is he and why should anyone care what he thinks? Does he have a huge following at Otago or something?

This is politics, people are stupid, mostly because they are emotional. There is no logical comparison between Bush and Hitler but yet here we are with pampered pu$$ies talking about how Bush is hurting the families in the 3rd world over mocachino at Starbucks. It's politics, the same kind of stuff has happened to almost every president throughout the course of American history. Older guys will remember all the talk about how evil and stupid Ronald Regan was. Further back we have FDR who was accused of allowing the attack on Pear Harbor to happen because he was a warmonger.

DTop said:
That man is certainly filled with hatred. He managed to slam all of OUR presidents in the last 20 yrs. . I am baffled as to why this bothers him so? Isn't there anything else going on in New Zealand for him to worry about? Is it that NZ politics are so perfect that he's bored with it all? Just too much hatred for my taste. He is playing the very hate game he talks about.
Forgive my ingorance but who is he and why should anyone care what he thinks? Does he have a huge following at Otago or something?

no he hasn't got a huge following in otago....just US student studying here. actually he got slammed for "defending" bush.

the way i read it is like this;

bush is bad....but no worse than any of the other presidents you have had over the past 20 years, all of them did good, and reprehensible things.

i wouldn't take it personal d-top....just one mans opinion.

I don't take anyone's political views personally, thanks. Mine is also just one man's opinion. You asked for comments, you got 'em, that's all.

Never miss a chance to shut up. I forgot who said that but that guy needs to write it on the blackboard 100 times like Bart Simpson. :) I also think that everyone has something to contribute to society even if it is only to serve as a bad example.

Oddly enough, I wrote that article. I joined this forum a year before I wrote it, so imagine my surprise when I found it here. Small world.

I can't, actually. It makes sense that you'd be skeptical, though, but I'm dead serious. I can tell you that the following week there were - I think - three letters of complaint to the magazine and a response article called "Is Sam Grover worse than Hitler?" But, I could've looked all that up.

It took about twenty minutes to write. Now that two years have passed, I can safely say that I've matured past that kind of thing

Back