Artest's advice to Iverson: Get back in action

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

GREG BEACHAM

Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. - If Ron Artest could relive his journey from Indiana to Sacramento last season, he wouldn't have spent seven weeks out of action while waiting to make the trip.
Allen Iverson is currently stuck in a similar imbroglio in Philadelphia: deactivated and sidelined while the 76ers attempt to accommodate his trade request. The Kings forward empathizes with the Answer, but he also thinks Iverson needs to get back on the court - anybody's court.
"Just go out and play the game," Artest said Tuesday night before the Kings faced the Golden State Warriors in a meeting of two teams mentioned in the Iverson sweepstakes. "In my case, I wanted to be traded, but at the same time, I wanted to play, and play to win."
Artest was deactivated by the Pacers after requesting a trade in December 2004, and he spent nearly two months at home while Indiana had difficulty finding a suitable deal. The Pacers eventually sent him to Sacramento on Jan. 25 for Peja Stojakovic, and he spurred the Kings into the playoffs.
Artest, who says he knows Iverson fairly well, has found a comfortable home in Sacramento, averaging 16.6 points and 7.4 rebounds per game while playing through a sore back this season. The mercurial forward - whose leap into the Detroit stands precipitated one of the most notorious brawls in sports history - also hasn't been in any significant trouble since the move.
Artest heard rumors about Sacramento's reported recent discussions with Philadelphia, with leading scorer Mike Bibby thought to be part of the talks. But Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof both said the club wasn't interested Tuesday, apparently removing Sacramento from the mix.
Of course, Artest's trade to the Kings was declared dead one day before it occurred last January.
"I'm more focused on my team than on any player that might come here," Artest said.
Artest also thinks Iverson has the right to be involved in any trade discussions about him, just as Artest and his agent had extensive discussions with any of his possible destinations after Indiana.
"He'll be all right. It's just something that happens," Artest said of Iverson.
The Warriors have popped up repeatedly in the rumor mill surrounding Iverson, both because of their collection of movable contracts and vice president Chris Mullin's thirst to be involved in any trade that could end Golden State's string of 12 consecutive losing seasons.
Mullin probably would love to rid himself of at least one of the lucrative long-term contracts he has given to Adonal Foyle, Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy and Jason Richardson in recent years. But the young Warriors still haven't been entirely healthy under new coach Don Nelson, and a trade for Iverson would put the club's development back to square one.
Nelson and Mullin are publicly tightlipped about any chance of a deal.
"I just don't go there," Nelson said. "You can't win by going there."

Back