Artest makes heated return to The Palace

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
LARRY LAGE

Associated Press

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Ron Artest was booed when he was introduced and almost every time the Sacramento forward had the ball Saturday night against the Detroit Pistons.
"I wasn't paying it no mind," Artest insisted.
The last time Artest was at The Palace, it wasn't so tame, though. He was at the center of the infamous brawl on Nov. 19, 2004, between Indiana Pacers players and Pistons fans.
Artest had 14 points, six rebounds and four assists before sitting out most of the fourth quarter of the Kings' 91-74 loss Saturday.
Artest declined to talk to reporters until after the game, then didn't say much afterward. But, he did discuss his first game at The Palace while in New York earlier in the week and with The Sacramento Bee in some detail.
"At times I've been excited about going back there to play well, given everything that happened, but it's not too big of a deal," Artest said in a story published Saturday by The Sacramento Bee. "I suffered a lot, but it's over now, and I'm back playing now. When I look (back) at it, it's just a little small thing that happened in my life."
Artest dodged answering what he would do if he was hit with cup, an act by a fan that sparked the melee more than two years ago.
"I just don't think it'll happen," he said. "I just can't see it."
Kings coach Eric Musselman said extra security personnel would be near the bench against Detroit, and it did appear that a few arena security guards were in the area besides the usual sight of a police officer, arena and team security.
Musselman insisted it was not a distraction. "We got together this morning and approached it like any other game," he said.
Other than the boos, fans jeered Artest about his CD, Mohawk haircut and the black supportive sleeves that covered much of his left leg.
"It's kind of cool to see him back here and to see people's reaction," said Justin Krawiec, a 25-year-old fan from Bloomfield Hills. "We know he's kind of crazy. You just want to see what he does."
Pistons guard Richard Hamilton said it was hard to believe Artest hasn't played at The Palace since the brawl.
The return was delayed because the NBA suspended Artest for the rest of the 2004-05 season and by the time he was traded to Sacramento last season, the Kings had already played on the road against the Pistons.
"That's crazy," Hamilton said. "Wasn't that like three years ago?"
Pistons coach Flip Saunders was watching the brawl from New Orleans, where he was coaching the Minnesota Timberwolves.
"I think everyone was more shocked than anything else," Saunders said. "Everything happened so quick. It just escalated so quick."
It started when Artest fouled Detroit's Ben Wallace with 45.9 seconds left in a game that the Pacers were leading by 15. Wallace responded with a two-handed shove to Artest's chin, leading to several players pushing and Artest lying on the scorer's table.
Just when the confrontation appeared to be over, Artest was hit with a cup filled with an icy beverage. The volatile player bolted into the stands in a rage, followed by fist-swinging teammate Stephen Jackson.
Artest and teammate Jermaine O'Neal later slugged fans on the court. When the Pacers finally were able to get off the court, they were pelted with beer, popcorn and other debris.
Two days later, Artest was suspended for the rest of the season - 73 games, plus the playoffs - in a move that cost him almost $5 million.
Several players and fans lost control during a five-minute stretch on an unforgettable night that Pistons chief executive Tom Wilson aptly described as the perfect storm. The brawl transcended sports, landing on front pages, leading newscasts and even inspiring an episode of NBC's fictional "Law & Order."
Artest and Jackson were among the participants sentenced to one year of probation and 60 hours of community service after pleading no contest to misdemeanor assault charges. Artest returned to the Detroit area last summer for community service.
"Someone started trouble and I ended it," Artest told about 50 children at the Judge Mathis Community Center. "I would always encourage you to protect yourself but in certain situations, if you can avoid them, avoid them."
John Green, the man accused of throwing the cup, was sentenced in May to 30 days in jail on an assault and battery charge.

Back