The Army's FAT problem.

Koponkof

Anyone notice the Army's FAT problem?

Got to hand it to the Marines, at least they enforce standards.

Over the years the Army turned into what I call "The Barney Army".

Think of every which way to make you safe, lower standards across the board, allow fat soldiers to get promoted.

This problem for the Army has blown out of control since I first came in.

Fort Hood takes the cake for these problems. Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone want to tell me i'm wrong?

Simple fix, get the soldiers to burn more chalories then they stuff their face with.
Stop deploying junkfood chains.
And get the troops to start running.
Push the standards up for every class going through basic.
Make them feel the pride of being the best, or at the very least not the worst.

It´s easy, just has to be done.

KJ sends..

Mmmmmm take the cake

It is all about diet which is a reflection of the American society. I had a Soldier who got off the overweight program only to fail tape 3 months later. I warned him several times to watch what he ate. His dinners had more calories than I ate in a day. After he failed I went off on him and said he has 1 month to un**** himself before I let 1SG know and out the Army he goes. 10 pounds and 4 % less body fat later he made tape.

I have little sympathy for people who fail tape because of injuries or profiles. I was on a deadmans profile for almost a year while the doctors figured out what was wrong with me. My weight went up a little before I adjusted my diet. I also did as much PT as I could unlike alot of profile Soldiers I see.

Yes it is an issue. With the Army getting ready to downsize, the toleration for fat bodies in the Army is going to go down.

When you get deployed there are two things that could happen... and I have seen this... both times.. One, you either get Prison huge because you are spending a ton of time in the gym, or you get Orca fat because you are spending each meal stuffing your face with 2nds and 3rds....

It is VERY easy to do especially when all the food is actually pretty good... and free... Ice Cream bar and fried foods for lunch and dinner... yeah... KBR is feeding well.

This sums up Army Wrong, not Army Strong...

armywrong.jpg

Remember “Storming” Norman Schwarzkopf. I doubt he met AR 600-9, and I know there was at least one Gen. Officer who briefed the Media regularly who definitely couldn’t.
Gen. Schwarzkopf became a National Hero with more medal and awards then I can count, while other soldiers who hadn’t met the weight standards, but were still deployed to the Gulf, couldn’t receive any recognition.
The Army isn’t a democracy, women can’t be drafted or serve in combat arms, Barrack Obama is President, life isn’t fair.

No offence but the junk that you guys feed your troops is astonishing.

The food I ate when I was onboard the USS Boxer at Shoalwater was so fatty and packed with salt and sugar that I could feel myself getting fatter.

Not that the Australian Army is above reproach but the level of junk food (I'd class it all as junk food really) was amazing. A simple change of diet would solve so many problems.

No offence but the junk that you guys feed your troops is astonishing.

The food I ate when I was onboard the USS Boxer at Shoalwater was so fatty and packed with salt and sugar that I could feel myself getting fatter.

Not that the Australian Army is above reproach but the level of junk food (I'd class it all as junk food really) was amazing. A simple change of diet would solve so many problems.

You were afloat AussieNick.... MUCH different than being on land. I have had the food on a boat as well... Never had a good meal.

Best food was when I was with the Swedish Military in Bosnia... mmm mmm good

Swedish cuisine? :viking:
It can´t be worse than the Norwegian field rations. Too much fish!

It's really impressive what you can get in the U.S. Army. I was on a NATO exercise in Germany and we were in the field near a U.S. battalion (Engineers, I think they were) You could get doghnots, fried chicken and french fries. It cost me 200 push-ups when my 1st Sergeant discovered that we had been over there without taking some french fries for him.
But it was a good chicken. ;)

No field rations in Bosnia when I was there. They had a full kitchen going.

Next time... bring the man some fries!

I was Army but I ate in US Navy Dinning facilities and on Navy Warships. Their food is great! And always Air Conditioned which in the field we never had.

Back