Army streamlines service uniforms to one blue Army Service Uniform

What is the best uniform for the US Army?

• Total voters
I just wish that the Army would spend less time thinking about how it looks when we aren't fighting and more about every possible way to finish off our adversaries. Granted we have some sweet toys up our sleeves and in the making, but we need to cut the bull with this pomp and circumstance crap and focus on what matters: winning on the battlefield.

To quote a great officer on his opinion of this debacle,

COL Jack said:
Perhaps these uniforms might help kill the enemy as they die laughing over this lunacy.

Army Goes Blue

Here is the link.

I am glad to see the Army's priorities are in order. When engaged in a hostile confict OCONUS, one must focus on looking stylish CONUS. :neutral:

AF is pulling the same stunt.

"We." You aren't a "we" and you aren't fighting.

I can hear it now, "the uniform of the day is uh...First Sergeant, what color are we now?"

Our own forces will hesitate to shoot because they will be confused about who's wearing what color. Stick to green like real men.

The issue is one of distraction. Abe did it during the civil war with Thanksgiving Day. As the people lose heart or stomach for the fight the politicians, both in and out of uniform, like to do little song and dance numbers to cheer up the troops. Its easier than addressing core issues of things like housing, training, equipment, fighting with hands tied behind one's back etc.

Nifty. Now everyone can wear their dress blues no matter what branch they're in. Hell, why not just issue the exact same uniform to the entire US military. One set of utilities. One set of dress blues. A hot and cold variant of each. What else could you need?

...reminds me of when the Army decided that everyone got to wear a beret.

moving0target said:
Nifty. Now everyone can wear their dress blues no matter what branch they're in. Hell, why not just issue the exact same uniform to the entire US military. One set of utilities. One set of dress blues. A hot and cold variant of each. What else could you need?

The funny thing about it is, unlike the Marines, very few soldiers up to E-5 or so find a need to own the blues in the Army, so they don't waste the money. This is going to burn a hole in the pockets of a huge number of Joe's.

Ohhhhh don't start on the berets Moving... the whole friggin reason they did that was because some soldiers who couldn't cut it at Airborne, Ranger or SF schools felt insignificant because those soldiers who proved their mettle wore the berets and poor little Johnny Mediocre couldn't. It's horse:cen: !

PJ24 said:
Army Goes Blue

Here is the link.

I am glad to see the Army's priorities are in order. When engaged in a hostile confict OCONUS, one must focus on looking stylish CONUS. :neutral:

AF is pulling the same stunt.

"We." You aren't a "we" and you aren't fighting.

Actually the Navy is going to the new digital work uniforms too. What's the world coming to?

moving0target said:

In my dealings with the beret wearing Army I thought they looked like a bunch of french ******!!!!

PJ24 said:
The funny thing about it is, unlike the Marines, very few soldiers up to E-5 or so find a need to own the blues in the Army, so they don't waste the money. This is going to burn a hole in the pockets of a huge number of Joe's.

I know that in the Navy the E-6 and below get most of their uniforms issued and all enlisted get a maintenance allowance for uniform upkeep. They are also issued uniforms when there is a major change. When you advance to E-7 or Chief Petty Officer they get a one time allotment to buy the new uniforms as well as getting the quarterly allowance to keep them current and in good repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
soldiers.jpg

New Army Uniform

In my opinion, nothing beats this though.

ike_506th_main.jpg

jacket_wool_od_1945_375.jpg

Headrick.jpg

I think that the dark mustards and browns of the WWII US Army Uniform with the famous Ike Jacket takes the cake. It's the best damn looking uniform ever made. I own a WWII Ike Jacket and I wear it when it gets cold. But I truly think that this uniform is the best. The US Army was thinking of going back to the it too.

Ja vold!!! Its a god damn gestapo outfit... can't wait to see PJ in it... :)

I personally prefer the WWII dress and the khakis.

I don't mind having a lot of different uniforms, we've got a sh*t load.
But thankfully a lot of the parts are interchangable, or you just add or remove something to create another uniform.
I've got a total of 15 different uniforms/combinations I need or wear at various times... and yes it does get confusing to remember what the difference is between 2D, 6B and 4A when your tired.

I don't think bringing in a single uniform across the board is such a good idea. It is a good thing to have a certain orginality and difference between groups within the defence force.

bulldogg said:
Ohhhhh don't start on the berets Moving... the whole friggin reason they did that was because some soldiers who couldn't cut it at Airborne, Ranger or SF schools felt insignificant because those soldiers who proved their mettle wore the berets and poor little Johnny Mediocre couldn't. It's horse:cen: !

That describes Shinseki to a "T." :p

I suppose my one question is this.
Will this cause confusion amongst the civilian population between services?
For example in Australia it is easy to identify.
Army = Khaki
Navy = Navy Blue
Airforce = Sky Blue

I think that you should revert to the WW2 style army uniform. It is a sharp looking outfit.

As much as it pains me to say so ever since the Army stepped away from the WWII and khaki service uniform all the services have had an inferiority complex when it comes to comparing to the Marine dress blues... that is one sharp get-up. I honestly don't want to look like them, out of respect. Marines go through some serious crap and quite honestly ya'll deserve to look sharp once in a while. That new USAF gestapo outfit is too similar to the Marines... personally I would like to be in BDU's 24/7.

Back