Army Sniper Requirements

I'm reasonably sure that enlisting in the military for the express goal of being a sniper would be a big dis qualifier in the psych evaluation.

Sniper slots are very competitive. My unit carries the slot and it is not easy to slide into one. You need to be 270+ PT and shoot 37+ before you can even open your mouth to ask for a slot. That's not factoring in politics, mentality, or your past performance.

Sniper slots are very competitive. My unit carries the slot and it is not easy to slide into one. You need to be 270+ PT and shoot 37+ before you can even open your mouth to ask for a slot. That's not factoring in politics, mentality, or your past performance.

So your saying it's not like Call of Duty? Freakin bummer dude.

I looked at your profile and it says that you were 5th SFG in Vietnam, yet you entered service in 1974. Even if you joined SF on 1 Jan 1974, how on earth did you make it through SF school/ sniper school in time to be in Vietnam by the evacuation of Saigon in April of 1975. Of course, I suppose it doesn't matter since ALL of the US combat forces were out of Vietnam by the end of 1972 and 5th SFG was back at Ft Bragg by March of 1971.

Of course, as you should know, SF personnel may be sniper qualified, but they are not snipers in the sense of say, the Marine Corps scout snipers. That's not the types of missions they did regularly in Vietnam. Something just doesn't seem "right" here, I smell b******t.

See now this not gonna buff out. Especially since he's using a ASI as an MOS.

They just make it so easy sometimes don't they? I don't even really get mad anymore. I simply role my eyes and sigh in disbelief...yet, there's so many that if you got upset about every one of them you'd go freaking crazy.

Would you believe it if I say that I fought as a civilian at Dien Bien Phu eventhough I was born in '71? Just that it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it is impossible! I was a terrifying grunt and very hard to spot! Back in those days, who needed snipers?

Interesting he doesn't mention SF Training Group or the fact that 5th SF was out of VN as a unit in 1971.
My experience is if you claim SF, you best expect some questions-qualified or not.

Sniper School

Look, for the guy who started this thread. Don't put your hopes up on sniper school just do the best you can. I've always wanted to be a sniper since I enlisted in the infantry in 2003. I only recently went to the school february of this year. It takes time and yes, sometimes being in the right spot at the right time. You just got to be motivated and do the right thing and definately STAY UP on your PT.

Believe it or not, shooting 40/40 isn't that big of a deal. Shooting is about 40% of the course. What the sniper instructors care about is whether or not you can maintain a grouping. They don't ****ing care if you can hit a 40/40 with a 3 minute gun at the furthest range of 300 meters. Thats cakewalk. If you can hold a solid grouping, you can be a shooter. Now let me give you some knowledge.

Prerequisites
-100 GT -Phase I and II physical -Mental eval(they ask if you are willing to kill somebody, just say yes. then lie your ass off about all the homicidal thoughts you have. its a stupid PA just checking the blocks. however, if you tell them no, you are not willing to kill somebody, you will fail) -vision test 20/20 eyes or 20/20 correctable lenses -commanders recomendation -PT card of 70% in each event within 30 days -Current bodyfat sheet -weapons qualification card of expert within 6 months -SECRET CLEARANCE or interium(non-waiverable. that is what held me up for awhile.)

School criteria-
-Grouping exercise day 0(15 rounds shoot 3 paper targets 5 rounds per target at 25 meters. make them as tight as possible or else you get booted. iron sight m4)
-6 Record fires
-Target detection(which gets most people)
-Stalks(which gets most people)
-2-4 written tests
-range estimation
-currently 3 day FTX(you will walk around 30 clicks)
-Final shot(2 rounds to hit an unknown distance target with a time limit. if you miss both times, you FAIL. last event of the course 1 day before graduation)

It's not really as hard as most people make it out to be honestly. Just focus on what you have to do and have faith.

Back