Army`s effect on my family?

Pigpen

Im seriously thinking about joining the Army... Ive always wanted to & I know if I dont enlist while I can, Im gunna kick myself for the rest of my life. My family has always been military - WW1,WW2,Korea & Vietnam following 16 generations of German palace guard on my dads side, and on my moms side, we`ve served in every American war since the Revolutionary war; so its about family tradition/honor as well. But my big worry is how does a father being in the service affect his young children? my kids are 2 & 3, and we`re pretty close. My pops is advising against me joining, saying they`re gunna suffer, but his father was a SSGT in for 20 years... his experience was different than what Im planning. Im only planning on staying in for 4 years. Im hoping someone here has gone through what Im about to go through & can give me some insight. thanks!

your job has a lot to do with how much time you can spend with at home. Being in a combat arms MOS means you'll be spending lots of time in the field. If your MOS is something like human resources or medical, you'll be going home to your family on a lot of your nights.

What were you thinking of doing?

I dont have anything solidly chosen...I really want to fight, thinking Airborne or Infantry... but more likely Im looking at watercraft operator or railway crewmember, something that would transfer over to after-army life while keeping me relativly safe. I hate to think of the possibility of my kids becoming fatherless because I wanted to fight... I am still open to suggestions from those who might know something I dont ! thanks again

Like Doody said it really depends on your MOS. As far as Infantry you mostly will be gone most of the time, Airborne, if you are selected and can make the cut you will be gone all the time. I spent around 75% of my time in the field as a Combat Communications Chief assigned to the Infantry for 14 years, did not plan it that way, it just happened.

SFC

A CHILDS POINT OF VIEW

I AM A 21 YR OLD MALE. MY DAD is a MARINE. HE SERVED WHILE I WAS YOUNG. I DON'T REMEMBER HIM BEING AROUND A LOT WHEN I WAS YOUNG BUT THEN AGAIN I CAN'T REMEMBER THE FIRST EIGHT OR SO YEARS OF MY LIFE. WHAT I CAN TELL YOU IS THIS:

PERSONALLY I think that because of the Marines my father can do anything he wants. i see self discipline in him that i have never seen in a civilian. He has a drive that cannot be broken and he is positive about every decision he makes. He is the head of our household without even the shadow of a doubt. I am considering serving the US of A because of the Man my dad has become thanks to his character and the USMC.

i say go for it sir. Just make sure you go back to them like you say you want to.

I appreciate the responses - is anyone familiar with the MOS`s I mentioned (watercraft operator or railway crewmember?) again, thanks! :rambo:

If you want those two MOS's, you are most likely going to have to join the Reserves. The one Rail Battalion in the Army is a Reserve Unit...and the majority of boats and all of the commissioned vessels in the Army are in the Reserves...also most of the combat bridge units in the Army are in the Reserve and National Guard, so a being a bridge boat crewman is also predominately a Reserve job...there are a couple active bridge units...a friend of mine was the commander of the bridge unit at Laguardia in Korea...I don't know if that unit has been effected by the reorganization...

Back