Army Reserve or Army National Guard?

I applied for the scholarship but I didn't get it, it doesn't help that the doctors who checked out my eyes as part of the physical ****ed up and told the Army that even with corrective lenses I was blind as a bat. Did I say I got the scholarship earlier? my bad if I did, a 2.5 GPA student with a bad knee isn't exactly thrown to the top of their list of priorities. But like I told them at the interview, I was only trying to pass in high school, not excel since I had no reason to push myself for the A's when I find average to be more than acceptable. If a C isn't good enough anymore than the grade scale need to be changed to accurately represent that. I saw kids get a B on tests and you would think that the world was about to end. I don't want to turn into that, I think Above-Average is nothing to be ashamed of.

Damien435 said:
since I had no reason to push myself for the A's when I find average to be more than acceptable.

Tell me that isn't your attitude now. If you want to be a medic then average will NOT be acceptable. Remember that men's lives may some day be in your hands, you will be responsible for what happens to them, whether they live or die. "Average" won't always get men home alive.

You may have to treat injuries beyond what you were trained for in AIT, that means you'll have to constantly read and educate yourself on your own time. If you don't have the drive and attitude to do this, you may want to seek another career.

I'm not trying to be harsh with you, well, maybe a little, because this is serious business.

Hopefully, you've changed that attitude since high school and you were just commenting past tense. :???:

You have every right to be harsh PJ, if that was still my attitude I wouldn't even allow myself to join as a Medic, I am doing this because I think I can handle a challenge and believe I am capable of doing this. Plus now I have a reason to try, if you looked at my transcript (theoretically speaking) you would notice that my 2.5 is deceptive. English classes really held me back, I hated them, they were stupid and while I may not be able to speak perfect English you guys can understand what I mean when I write, right? I really made no effort in those classes and when I failed them I didn't sweat it because of the shear stupidity of it. And I personally think I have a valid complaint about one class I failed that I shouldn't have. The question was "What kind of government was present in the book 'The Crucible.'" to which I answered "Theocracy." This section was short answer and not very specific, I believed that if I wrote down the correct answer that was acceptable, my teacher disagreed and claimed that since I did not explain what a theocracy was in my answer she had know way of know if I knew what a theocracy was or not. My reply resulted in me getting detention. And there are other examples of this, now without being too critical I would just like to say that someone who majors in Physical Education with a minor in the same subject is not, IMO, qualified to be teaching history.

But no, on the classes that were important and could actually affect my life outside of high school I did put forth some effort. History and Science most notably, I loved Physics but wouldn't go near Chemistry. Classes like Play Production and Photography though.... you get the picture.

But to answer your question, now that I have a reason to I will definetly push myself, and if that isn't enough of a reason then how's this. My last year has been absolutely terrible and I don't want to go back to this crap again.

Ah, okay -- no, I guess you didn't actually say you were selected for scholarship, but the way you worded your first post made me think that.

Damien435 said:
Anyways, my situation, I start college next fall (depending on the length of training, I may miss the first semester of college but I am already one year behind so no biggy.) and since I just found out that I can join the Guard or Reserve while attending ROTC I would very much like to do that, plus they both have outstanding financial aid to give out.

Damien, keep in mind that you cannot go into ROTC under the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) AND receive a scholarship such as Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GFRD). So if you are enlisting, you MUST go into an SMP agreement with the unit of your choice, and CANNOT receive the GFRD scholarship, believe me, I've already tried. It was explained to me that the GFRD would end my enlisted career, and I didn't want that, I love my unit and the people with whom I serve. Also, the GFRD would prevent me from going active duty after college and I would end up doing 8 years of Reserve service, which I also don't want to do, and would severely limit my branch choices upon commissioning.

One thing to note, I get waaay more money as an SMP cadet in ROTC than a scholarship cadet gets, which is a factor of my school's tuition rates. I get the stipend, Tuition Assistance, GI Bill, and paid as an E-5 while at drill and Annual Training. Sometimes it is annoying to drive 90 miles to my unit for drill, however, but other than that I love it.

I know, I don't accept any money other than the normal tuition assitance, GI Bill and such, the Professor of Military Science at SDSU and I already went through this, he's really on the ball and he didn't even get upset when I told him I had chosen the Reserve over the Guard even though he is a Guardsman himself.

Because the Army nagged at me for a month that I was running out of time and I needed to make a decision then they told me I have to wait till July before the docs will consider giving me a med waiver. In the meantime they already told me I was clear to re-enlist and I've already told my school I wouldn't be attending fall semester. Now I get to make a lot of phone calls and I look like a dick for trying to beat up a 18inch thick oak pillar.

Because the Army nagged at me for a month that I was running out of time and I needed to make a decision then they told me I have to wait till July before the docs will consider giving me a med waiver. In the meantime they already told me I was clear to re-enlist and I've already told my school I wouldn't be attending fall semester. Now I get to make a lot of phone calls and I look like a dick for trying to beat up a 18inch thick oak pillar.

Are you not going to enlist then?

C/1Lt Henderson said:
Because he already decided where he wants to go...I think

It's always better to let someone choose to answer a question that's been asked to them, themselves. Ya know? All it does when you do that is confuse the issue more.

Last edited:
Back