Army Psychologist

April 9th, 2006  

Topic: Army Psychologist

Hi all,
I'd like to ask what does it take to become army psychologist? (I mean army, not marines, not avia, just land-based groups' psychologist) I know it probably varies from country to country, though I thought where you live, is it necessary to attend some specialized school from the level of highschool, or you just study "usual" highschool, then university with the field of psychology and then apply to join army?

I thought about it as a possibility, but thought if maybe it isn't too late to think about it when I'm already on civ highschool, if I shouldn't be somewhere else.

Excuse me if this question is total crap, just thought I'd ask.

April 9th, 2006  
No, it's not total crap, it's a great question on a great subject. I can only tell you what I know from having known a few civilian psycologists in the US.

"A doctoral degree usually is required for employment as an independent licensed clinical or counseling psychologist. Psychologists with a Ph.D. qualify for a wide range of teaching, research, clinical, and counseling positions in universities, health care services, elementary and secondary schools, private industry, and government. Psychologists with a Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) degree usually work in clinical positions or in private practices, but they also sometime teach, conduct research, or carry out administrative responsibilities."

There are only 800 Service Psychologists and need more every day. Nothing other than a four year degree in psychology is required but a Phd is required for some specialties.
April 9th, 2006  
For the US Army:


Below are the requirements to becoming a Clinical Psychologist in the Army Medical Service Corps.


To qualify for an appointment as a Clinical Psychologist in the Army Medical Service Corps, you must:
  • Have completed a Doctorate in clinical or counseling psychology and American Psychology Association (APA) accredited clinical psychology residency program
  • Be licensed to practice clinical or counseling psychology in the United States
Hope that helps.
April 9th, 2006  
Oh, it did. Thanks guys :]
April 10th, 2006  
I'm hoping to join the Australian Army as a Psychologist & over here we need to have a 4 year Bachelor of Psychology degree, that is our only educational requirement. We then get our 2 years supervision in the Army.
April 12th, 2006  
Thank you Axon Wow, that it's similar in the Australia as in the US encourages me a lot to browse more and see whether it's similar in my country, too. Anyways, if it weren't and there were still a want to pursue Army Psychologist as a career, I can always be sure which country to move to *winks*