Army Officer's Uniform "intimidating": Harrods

Kirruth

"A serving Army officer was banned from entering Harrods on Remembrance Day in case his uniform upset other shoppers.
Lieutenant Daniel Lenherr had just taken part in a parade honouring Britain's war dead when the London department store turned him away at the door.
The security guard told him other customers might be intimidated by the uniform."
This is London article

I'm reminded of Rudyard Kipling's poem from the Barrack Room Ballads, which has the lines:
For it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ “Chuck him out, the brute!”
But it’s “Saviour of ‘is country” when the guns begin to shoot;

that's actually kind of cool... but he could have said he was the door man at Macy's and they may have let him in. LOL..

Sorry, you have to see the humor in this and how many times it happens.

I bet with this publicity, Herods won't do that again.

Harrods are pretty funny about dress code. Turning up in jeans will also get the hapless tourist thrown out.

What is also true is that during this war on terror (and previously with the IRA), when one or more people show up to a department store in military uniform, people immediately think there's a bomb.

Right, so umm, who's going to feel intimidated? What kind of clientle does Herrod's cater to? Unless everyone in the story was IRA or Al Qaeda or pedophiles I see no reason for them to feel intimidated by a man in uniform.

My first reaction is that this is pretty disgraceful. OTOH, I could see Harrod's being snobbish enough that they might implement this type of dress policy as far as BDU's are concerned. (I re-read the article -- it doesn't say anywhere what uniform he was in. But if they turned him away and he was in service dress uniform, that's pretty pathetic.)

I'll just avoid the place in the future.

You know what would have been funny? If the officer snapped the security guard's wrist like a twig and walked in anyways, of course then the story would be "Soldier with PTSD goes berserk in Herrod's, heroic security guard breaks wrist."

Back