Army or Marines?

TheSunsetSniper

I want to join the Military. Let me rephrase that. I am going to join the Military. However, at the moment I am not sure which branch. I want to be a sniper, and I understand that I cannot simply become a sniper right after basic. I believe you must be at least a Lance Corporal. Am I correct? I am really wondering which branch I should join. I have narrowed it down to the Marines or the Army. I'm am split 50/50, so any suggestions would be valued greatly.

Another I have worry is corrected vision. I wear contacts... do they accept people with corrected vision to be put in the field? I've been told that a sniper is not allowed to have corrected vision, however I have heard of snipers in Vietnam who wore glasses. I am completely confused on the matter.

I'm not worried about Basic... I am actually looking forward to it. I partly want to join the Marine Corps because of the longer boot camp and the crucible, but I do have a few questions about it. Firstly, I am wondering how long the initial fear lasts. By the next morning has most of it worn off or do you continue to shake in your boots through the entire thing? Secondly I am wondering if the movies I have seen are accurate. I've been told that a drill instructor is not allowed to hit you, however in movies like 'Full Metal Jacket' the recruits are punched numerous times, and my friend's father (a Marine who fought in Vietnam) confirmed the accuracy of this movie. Is it true? Do they hit you?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for taking the time to read it. I'm pretty unsteady about my future.

Dude, relax. Basic training (Army) or Boot Camp (Marines) is pretty easy. As long as you keep focused, it's a breeze. The second that YOU quit, they quit on you.

It seems like you already made up your mind to join the Marines, and if so, then kudos. You really wouldn't have made a bad choice either way.

As far as US Army snipers, once you are in an Infantry Battalion, you can request to go to sniper school. Be aware, there is probably an Order Of Merit List, so you will have to wait your turn.

As far as contact lenses goes, Army personnel are not allowed to wear contact lenses in a field environment. That's not to say you can't wear your Army-issued BC (Birth Control) Goggles, so-called because youwill NEVER get laid wearing them in public.

In the modern US Military, cadre are not allowed to physically abuse recruits. All that Hollywood stuff might have applied twenty years ago, but not today.

If you're ultimate goal is to become a sniper, and that is the main reason you are joining, don't join at all.

If you want to serve your country, and eventually have hopes of becoming a sniper and feel you wouldn't want to serve more than four years without the designator, go Army. You'll have a better chance (if you're infantry) of getting a slot at Benning sniper school. You'll have to qualify, and then be selected. If you want more detailed training, you would have to be in SOF; Rangers, SF.

If you want to be a Marine, go into the Marine Corps. Right now, you have little or no chance of getting S/S in the Corps. That isn't to say in four years you won't have a chance, but you better be happy with being a Marine grunt.

As for BCT/Boot camp .. they can't hit you, they aren't even supposed to curse anymore .. and God forbid they deny you a head call. Thanks to all of the cry baby tattletails and their rich Mommy's and Daddy's out there.

As to your vision, it depeneds on what your sight is. I wore contacts during sniper school. My eyes kept getting infected from the dirt, and my classes were scratched all to hell .. so I ended up using the optics to compensate. It was never a problem.

Make sure you talk to both an Army and Marine recruiter .. find out what information you can from them. A lot of your questions can be answered that way, and whatever is left .. you can find active or prior service to assit you with.

Your screen name would lead one to believe you were already a sniper .. may want to rethink that.

You'll be fine if you really want it. But I know Marine boot camp is hell. It will be hard and it's supposed to be, but if that's what you want, you'll make it. However, be prepared to be punched in the face, choked, etc. I know 2 guys who just got back from Parris Island a couple weeks ago and they said it happened all the time. Plus the fear thing. It lasts, believe me it lasts! But you can make it through! That's the biggest thing. These guys said they saw people wetting their pants in front of the DIs almost every day, literally. But don't let that scare you! They absolutely loved it and thought it was the best thing for them. So if that's what you want go for it all the way!

An edit on the physical violence thing. They can only hit you if you bring your hands above your waist when they are within a certain number of feet of you. So as long as you learn quickly about things like that you'll be fine.

Rnder, can army snipers get into the USMC scout/sniper school?

Yes, sure can. Can even attend the Royal Marines sniper course.

You'll be fine if you really want it. But I know Marine boot camp is hell. It will be hard and it's supposed to be, but if that's what you want, you'll make it. However, be prepared to be punched in the face, choked, etc. I know 2 guys who just got back from Parris Island a couple weeks ago and they said it happened all the time. Plus the fear thing. It lasts, believe me it lasts! But you can make it through! That's the biggest thing. These guys said they saw people wetting their pants in front of the DIs almost every day, literally. But don't let that scare you! They absolutely loved it and thought it was the best thing for them. So if that's what you want go for it all the way!

:lol: I'll be sure to pass this info along to the DIs at Parris Island, I'm sure they would LOVE to know this.

Oh, thats cool. One of the reasons i wanted to join the Marines (Not the only, mind you) was because i heard they had an advanced S/S. Thanks for that bit of information.

RnderSafe said:
:lol: I'll be sure to pass this info along to the DIs at Parris Island, I'm sure they would LOVE to know this.

Hehe, yeah I'm only repeating what I heard, I wasn't there! However, I'm pretty sure these guys were being truthful. Then again, they are also young teenage hoorah marines who want to make themselves look tough...:lol: so you know how it goes...

Ok.... 'nother question just entered my head. Not that it's much of a concern, but what if you simply cannot do the given ammout of pushups or situps? If you're told to do 50 pushups and you're a faot oaf and simply cannot do them, what do they do? My thought is that people can always be pushed hard enough to do the required amount. I know i would be, but still...

If you can't make the grade after a certain amount of time, they'll send you to fat camp (they call it the "Warrior Spirit Company" at Ft Knox) where you will do PT all the time until you CAN pass the APFT. And you will not leave Basic until you can do so.

i heard they had an advanced S/S.

The Army also has SOTIC (Special Operations Target Interdictions Course), but you have to be within a Special Operations unit, ie 75th Ranger Regiment, Special Forces, to attend. Other services send their guys as well. It's longer and more involved than the school at Benning. So if you're thinking of enlisting under and Option 40 contract (Army) and manage to make it through RIP, that is an opportunity that can present itself as well as the other schools (Marine S/S, RM, etc). But like I said, for now, focus on your 25 metre target, and that's enlisting, getting through BCT/boot and becoming the best soldier/Marine you can be ... and worry about the rest later .. you'll have plenty of time once you get in .. and if for some reason you don't like it, or can't get to where you want to be .. it's only four years.

Not that it's much of a concern, but what if you simply cannot do the given ammout of pushups or situps?

Now, right here you've gone and gotten your mind twisted up and confused. If you wonder about things like that, it's going to take away from your drive. You don't want to be a "no go" on anything .. so while you have the time, hit the gym, eat healthy .. run, run, and run some more. Don't stop at 3 miles, make it to 5 .. then 10. Ruck as well, get a pack, start at 10lbs.. increase the weight and distance you ruck. Don't stop at 50 push-ups, get to 100 .. don't stop at 10 pull-ups .. make it to 50. Push yourself, train yourself .. and if you're in great shape, the physical aspects of basic/boot will be a breeze for you and will help in taking some of the stress away. The Navy EOD warning order is one of the best programs to use, it's a good tool to help you progress. Here's the link:
http://explamphibian.home.mindspring.com/eod/eodwo.html

However, be prepared to be punched in the face, choked, etc. I know 2 guys who just got back from Parris Island a couple weeks ago and they said it happened all the time. Plus the fear thing. It lasts, believe me it lasts! But you can make it through! That's the biggest thing. These guys said they saw people wetting their pants in front of the DIs almost every day, literally.
Sounds like an episode of Scare Tactics to me :roll:

Sounds like fun... very rarely to i have to time to toughen up. But when i do, i go all out. Although i don't like this bit about little girls peein' in their pants... i didn't realize such young'ns were aloud in the military. ;)
'Course... i should probably shush up until i see how hard it is eh?

Yeah I really don't know about that. the only time I've heard first hand of anyone pissing themselves in training was from my friend who just went to CDQC (Combat Dive Qualification Course), and there you're in the water all the time, so it's kind of expected you'll use it as a latrine. :lol:

Marines all the way!

Im 14 and i wanna be in the Marines, actually, i WILL be in the Marines. I think that if you REALLY wanna be a sniper. then i suggest you go into the Army. Unless, you want to be a Marine more than a sniper. Because the Marines dont revolve around MOS's. they revovle around you wanting to be a Marine. they will make you one. You have to be ready to be in the Marines, you have to WANT it. Its not like the Army, you dont just say, i wanna go in the Marines, out of nowhere. Its a serious decision. If you wanna be in the Marine Corps for the sniper program, dont get me wrong they have an EXCELLENT program. But i think that if thats all you want, that you should consider the Army.

Hey SemperFi - You say you're 14? What in all of your 14 years of life exactly qualifies you to even begin to compare the USMC with my Army? I have known many Marines, in fact my son is a Marine and I spent 22 years in my Army. I respect most Marines because of the way they carry themselves. Real Soldiers and Marines don't go around trashing other services, they don't try to prove themselves with words. They prove themselves through their actions. If you actually do expect to try to become a Marine I suggest you concentrate on doing just that.
I have seen both Marine Corps and Army training up close and personal and I can tell you that neither one is a walk in the park. They are not meant to be easy. They are meant to produce the finest, best trained, and best equipped fighting men and women in the world - bar none. Whether you wish to become a soldier, a marine, a sailor, an airman, or a coast guardsman, I think you'd better have a bit of respect for those that have gone before you and have already proven themselves though their actions. If you have a preference for the Marine Corps, that's all well and good but, one word of advice - drop the disrespect, there's no place for it.
Maybe you've heard service people calling each other dogface or jar head or the like. You should keep in mind that these people have earned the right to joke around with each other. Unless you've been there and done that, just listen to them. I know you're just 14 and I hope you take what I said in stride and as words of advice.

Sigh. My nephew went to the fat farm. I offered to work out with him before he shipped, but he would never show. And he FAILED. This fatbody got rejected from the fat farm, in the Navy.
Well, luckily he can flip a mean burger.

Back